Advantages of a 2nd battery vs Range Boost on Domane+ and other models?

pmags

Region
USA
I'm curious if anyone has real world experience with the pros/cons of a buying a 2nd Bosch powertube battery ($500) vs Trek's Range Boost system (>$1000 I think).

If I was to buy a bare Bosch Powertube 5000 battery is is possible to buy the housing directly from Trek that would allow me to quickly swap batteries?

Obviously one downside would be having to find a way to carry a 2nd integrated battery, but I've been thinking about a rack anyway.

Can’t speak “real world” but can tell you that, the way I’m doing it on my Allant+7 is this Stasher top tube bag. Not sure it would work on a Domane. That’s their largest bag with some mods and a PowerTube fits just right.
The other issue is the RB is aesthetically less desirable IMO. Best of luck!
48A7939E-E7FA-48DD-80C3-067E91DE004E.jpeg

Attachments

• BA47E0FF-92E3-4C50-94FC-06341E205635.jpeg
    BA47E0FF-92E3-4C50-94FC-06341E205635.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 250
  • 54B1ED96-74D1-4921-A811-41E014C6EFDC.jpeg
    54B1ED96-74D1-4921-A811-41E014C6EFDC.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Thanks for that info, Dallant. This looks interest. So the battery is riding above the bar in this setup. Do you get a lot of lateral movement of the bag?

I'll have to measure the geometry of the Domane, but I sort of suspect that would be a bit too large. But definitely helpful for my thinking.

Do you buy the battery and associated over directly from Trek? If you dont mind me asking, what was the total cost?

Can’t speak “real world” but can tell you that, the way I’m doing it on my Allant+7 is this Stasher top tube bag. Not sure it would work on a Domane. That’s their largest bag with some mods and a PowerTube fits just right.
The other issue is the RB is aesthetically less desirable IMO. Best of luck!

Thanks for that info, Dallant. This looks interest. So the battery is riding above the bar in this setup. Do you get a lot of lateral movement of the bag?

I'll have to measure the geometry of the Domane, but I sort of suspect that would be a bit too large. But definitely helpful for my thinking.

Do you buy the battery and associated over directly from Trek? If you dont mind me asking, what was the total cost?
No, the bag has big Velcro straps on both ends (and even bigger straps on the body) so the bag is very stable in the limited tests I’ve given it. The 625 was ordered through my Trek guy and he ordered the cover pieces, assembled it all and made sure the battery pack fit all three ebike RIB systems. Total was somewhere around $1100.
469E517F-C4EF-47CC-A7B3-AD315EAA7499.jpeg
8267775D-F5E5-45DB-AB9E-420E2DEABE7D.jpeg

Sorry off topic a bit... but how do suspension saddles compare to suspension seat posts (like that on the verve)? I like your setup with the bag to hold the second battery on the top tube like that too.

Sorry off topic a bit... but how do suspension saddles compare to suspension seat posts (like that on the verve)? I like your setup with the bag to hold the second battery on the top tube like that too.
Never used a suspension saddle. Don’t really know of any.

Oh, sorry Dallant - I thought that was one in your picture. I'm not sure what to call them. I just meant saddles with springs in the back like yours have.
It’s a Serfas e-Gel seat. Lots of cushy seats out there to choose from. Lots have spring-like structures on them.

Thanks for the link, I have the Allant +7, if the 625wh is installed in the same size Powertube as the 500wh I would think that they would both require the large size, but in any case, if I buy a second battery would definitely be the 625wh. Thanks, Mike

Thanks for the link, I have the Allant +7, if the 625wh is installed in the same size Powertube as the 500wh I would think that they would both require the large size, but in any case, if I buy a second battery would definitely be the 625wh. Thanks, Mike
No problem. I wasn't sure what bike or battery you had.
Trek puts a spacer on the 500wh to make it the same size as the 625wh so yes, you would need a large either way. My Haibike only accepts a 500wh, which does fit in the medium in its original size.

Now that is what I call a timely thread revival! I was just contemplating sending my Oveja Negra TT bag down to CO to get them to re-do the strapping so that I could do just what the Stasher already does and at a very decent price to boot. I have a different brands battery but it will fit in a large with room to spare length wise and also fit my TT better than my other bag that is shorter. I will put 3M tape on the TT to protect the finish most likely. Because of the shock mount on my bike there is not room for it under the TT and for what I need the 2nd battery for, long gravel rides, the weight there should be fine as well as the reduced standover especially due to the fact I have a dropper anyway. Plus it will not be used on a daily basis. Thanks for the tip!

In fact I knew the guy, who with his wife, came up with the Stasher brand but their main idea was to be able to carry beers.....Unfortunately Jeff passed away at too young of an age but glad to see his wife Julie, or someone, is carrying on the brand. His last name was Thrasher btw thus the Stasher was a great doubleish entendré.

Back