Adding an aftermarket chainguard to Bosch e-bike

pokey

I've got a 2018 Haibike SDURO Trekking 9.0. So far, it's been a great bike, but if I'm wearing jeans, the pant leg keeps getting caught in the chain. I'm using a velcro wrap around the pant leg for now, but I'd like a better solution.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to fit an ebike with an aftermarket chainguard? It seems like there are some available:

https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/chainbow-e-bosch-158-mm/

Has anyone one installed something like this before?

Last edited:
These sorts of chainguards work a lot better when you have a fixed chain (e.g., a hub), not a derailleur. I'm not sure how they work with a derailleur.

I put this on my Homage. Multi step install, no drilling, perfect fit. Hebe

15354939195778058109322292495934.jpg
15354939195778058109322292495934.jpg

2015 to the present. Mine is a 2018 homage HS rohloff. 2 metal mounts screw into motor case a protrude through slots in plastic 2 piece motor cover. Crank and front chain sprocket come off then plastic motor cover. 3 small Allen screws secure the cover after chain is reinstalled.
20180828_155155.jpg

2015 to the present. Mine is a 2018 homage HS rohloff. 2 metal mounts screw into motor case a protrude through slots in plastic 2 piece motor cover. Crank and front chain sprocket come off then plastic motor cover. 3 small Allen screws secure the cover after chain is reinstalled.
Thanks for clarifying. Another question if I may — is this chainguard designed for a specific horizontal angle of the chain? In your photo, it looks like the top part of the chain is going up at an angle, but the rear suspension will change that angle and I assume the cover has enough space inside it to not touch the chain.

Also, is it easy to remove this in order to change the chain?

On an unrelated note, I see your shock is installed backwards... I recently made a mistake of buying a remove-fitted shock on my Delite and had to return it because there was no way of running the cable into the frame. I didn't even stop to think that the shock could be fitted both back-to-front and upside down! You live and learn.

Thanks for clarifying. Another question if I may — is this chainguard designed for a specific horizontal angle of the chain? In your photo, it looks like the top part of the chain is going up at an angle, but the rear suspension will change that angle and I assume the cover has enough space inside it to not touch the chain.

Also, is it easy to remove this in order to change the chain?

On an unrelated note, I see your shock is installed backwards... I recently made a mistake of buying a remove-fitted shock on my Delite and had to return it because there was no way of running the cable into the frame. I didn't even stop to think that the shock could be fitted both back-to-front and upside down! You live and learn.

Dmitri, As you can see, at rest the chain emerges toward the bottom of the guard. Thus far I have not bottomed out with the rear shock to the point of chain contact with the upper part of the guard. The guard kind of reminds me of a western grebe, a sea bird with bright red eyes that is common around here.

As I said, the metal brackets install on the metal motor casing, inside the plastic cover. They protrude through existing slots in the cover with 2mm allen screws that tighten through 3 narrow slots in the chain guard. The time consuming part is installing the two metal brackets (one of which longer and has 2 mounting locations). Once that is in place all it takes to secure the chain guard is three allen screws that tighten three split tabs, integral to the inside of the guard, against the metal protrusions. It can then be removed and replaced in a minute or less.

Regarding the shock. I have the Fox Float Performance upgraded shocks. The rear shock has a three position remote on the handlebar (full float/firm/locked) This is the way the shock was installed when I received the bike. I presume R&M did it this way to accommodate the attachment point of the remote lockout , considering the way they buried the shock inside the frame. I see no reason not to assume the shock will compress, release, etc. the same way regardless of orientation.

WEGR_MikeLentz_BBA.jpg

That looks really good Alaskan. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to give it a shot and see if the local bike shop can add one on.

I put this on my Homage. Multi step install, no drilling, perfect fit. Hebe

View attachment 25163View attachment 25163
Hi Alaskan. I am looking to put some kind of chainguard on my 2019 Homage which came with a belt-driven Rohloff and Performance CX motor. The reason for this is I want to install shorter cranks and the factory cranks have the guard attached directly to the crank arm. So when I install the new cranks, I lose the guard. There aren't a lot of choices out there. I had hoped the e-chainguard from Miranda would work but it doesn't look like it will because of the depth of the 22T front belt sprocket. Do you think the Hebie guard you have on your Homage will work with a belt-driven setup? Do you still like the guard after all this time? How easy was it to install and how durable is it? Did you have to take the cover off the motor to attach the brackets?

Hi Alaskan. I am looking to put some kind of chainguard on my 2019 Homage which came with a belt-driven Rohloff and Performance CX motor. The reason for this is I want to install shorter cranks and the factory cranks have the guard attached directly to the crank arm. So when I install the new cranks, I lose the guard. There aren't a lot of choices out there. I had hoped the e-chainguard from Miranda would work but it doesn't look like it will because of the depth of the 22T front belt sprocket. Do you think the Hebie guard you have on your Homage will work with a belt-driven setup? Do you still like the guard after all this time? How easy was it to install and how durable is it? Did you have to take the cover off the motor to attach the brackets?
On our 2019 Homage with the belt, I just left the Miranda ring guard that covers the front chain ring but nothing more. I always used a velcro ankle strap to secure the cuffs whenever I rode with loose long pants. I just left that bike stock as I could find no guard that fit or would sit at the correct angle parallel to the belt line.

Unfortunately, I can't use the Miranda ring guard. Did you actually try to attach the Hebie guard to the belt-driven Homage? The pictures I saw looked like the Hebie guard angle was adjustable.

Back