Adding a Throttle to a Pedal Assist E-bike

PhilipJohn52

Region
USA
I have a Hyper E-bike - bought from WalMart - that I love, but it is only Pedal Assist. I'm a reasonably good DIYer and I've done some research on throttles and have a question: Am I totally missing something or can I add a handlebar mounted 3-wire throttle - like this $14.73 universal one sold by WalMart @:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thumb-Th...nJF8fPUmojUHsK1we2xoCaa4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

and simply splice the 3 wires from the throttle cable into the 3 wires coming out of the sensor that is activated by the magnetic disc when the crank arm is turned when pedaling? Seems to me that by splicing the throttle wires it would simply activate and bypass the sensor's signal to the controller and then on to the motor. Anybody tried this and know whether it would work or not...or worse, damage the controller and/or the motor?

A throttle input looks at the voltage from the throttle. A pedal assist input counts the electrical pulses produced by the pedal assist sensor, No, they are not compatible, so they cannot be interchanged.

It may turn out that the controller in the Walmart Hyper has an unused throttle input inside it. This is not uncommon in inexpensive bikes. Sometimes, the clue is on the controller label, where it will list the throttle voltage. If you don't strike it lucky here, then you have to buy a a new controller. Fairly cheap.

Does your bike use the 810LED display like the one in the endless sphere thread. This kit already includes the 810LED. It's 14 a,ps, but that's nothing, in my opinion. Won't hurt your bike. Some batteries might not like it, but their isn't much of a battery then. If you ask, maybe he will just sell you the controller for half that price.

You can upgrade to a controller with LCD, but that's getting close or over 100 bucks for a decent LCD. There are combos that use the S866 LCD for around 66 dollars. but I've held one in my hand and it was the cheapest feel. Didn't help that the controller didn't work.

No, I have no tried it.

But the easiest way is to replace the controller that's capable of throttle.
I know it will be more expensive, but you can upgrade the controller too.

Your stock controller is 7.8A (13A max)

Even if you get a 10A or 15A controller, that would still be an upgrade.. though, I don't know the current draw limit of the battery.
Thanks for the info. I'll remove the controller and take a look at the leads to see if there's a set for a throttle. I kind of doubt it since it's a low-priced E-bike. That said, it performs really well and the battery, even though it's 36 volts, holds a charge for over 25 miles of moderatey hilly riding. For under $400 on sale I really can't complain at all.

A throttle input looks at the voltage from the throttle. A pedal assist input counts the electrical pulses produced by the pedal assist sensor, No, they are not compatible, so they cannot be interchanged.

It may turn out that the controller in the Walmart Hyper has an unused throttle input inside it. This is not uncommon in inexpensive bikes. Sometimes, the clue is on the controller label, where it will list the throttle voltage. If you don't strike it lucky here, then you have to buy a a new controller. Fairly cheap.

Does your bike use the 810LED display like the one in the endless sphere thread. This kit already includes the 810LED. It's 14 a,ps, but that's nothing, in my opinion. Won't hurt your bike. Some batteries might not like it, but their isn't much of a battery then. If you ask, maybe he will just sell you the controller for half that price.

You can upgrade to a controller with LCD, but that's getting close or over 100 bucks for a decent LCD. There are combos that use the S866 LCD for around 66 dollars. but I've held one in my hand and it was the cheapest feel. Didn't help that the controller didn't work.

Thanks for the info. You've given me a lot to research. And, yes the bike uses the 810 LED display which, for me, works just fine. Would I like a speedo and connections for front/rear lights? Sure, but not at the expense of battery time and power.

A speedometer doesn't use any real power. You can buy a $10 wired bike computer to get odometer. ride time, and speed. My first ebike conversion is still around and it uses the 810LED, although it only has 200 miles this year. What people don't like about it is when PAS 1 is too fast for them. This is where a 5 PAS level LCD feels more refined.

Back