Added a Magnum Cruiser to the garage.

MetroDuck

I have been enjoying my Metro+ for about 6 weeks now and have 325 miles logged so far. My wife had been riding it some before we headed down to get her a bike this weekend. We took out a regular Metro and a Cruiser for about 30 minutes and she decided on the cruiser. The cruiser is one sweet ride and if I wasn't commuting I could easily see myself owning one. The metro is of course a lot like the Metro+ but to me it felt like I was over the wheel even more than the metro plus.

Some thoughts and things I have noticed.

The metro and the cruiser effectively have one lower gear and one less gear at the top end compared to the metro+ This is because they have the same derailer set up but the Plus has 28" wheels compared to the other two models which have 26". Where I normally glide along at PAS 1 or 2 in 5th gear on my Metro Plus we found that to go the same speed with the same pedal motion speed my wife needed to be in 6th gear on her Cruiser. What that means is that the Metro and Cruiser will have the option of a lower gear when climbing but the Metro Plus effectively has a higher gear at the top end which may be useful if you are wanting to commute at a high speed.

The hand grips look similar but on the Cruiser they are much "cushier" and I wonder if over the long haul they will hold up as well. Not a big deal but different. Because the cruiser has rotational shifter that is part of the handle bars the right hand grip is only half as wide.

The throttle on the Cruiser is different. Where the Metro (+) both have a smaller lever that rotates around the handlebar the Cruiser's throttle is a little larger and is below the hand grip. It moves more or less forward to back horizontal to the ground. I thought it looked more awkward the the smaller throttle lever on my metro plus. After riding the cruiser for awhile I found that the Cruiser's has better fine control.

The 26" tires (orange ones) are much more comfortable than the 28" tires on the Metro Plus. While the metro plus tires are the way to go for commuting, if you are looking for a nice comfortable ride through the park or local neighborhoods the Metro and Cruiser are the way to go.

The Cruiser is more of a glider whereas the the two metro models are more nimble.

The battery level button on my Metro Plus shows the battery level when you hold it down. The new version on the Cruiser we got does the same thing BUT also turns the battery on and off. I thought we had connection problems when we got home because the display would not power up. My wife asked if I turned on the battery and I thought huh? What is she talking about. I pressed the batter button once and bingo the display powered up when I pressed the on-button. I like that feature and wish I had it on my bike. It helps keep someone coming along and powering up your bike by just pressing the power button on the display.

While I love my metro+ I have to say, if I was going to just ride for pleasure the Cruiser is one sweeeet ride. Also comfortable beyond belief. If anyone has any questions about either bike feel free to ask.

I wish my wife would have at least test rode the Cruiser. She instead went with a cheap Fuji from Performance. It’s okay, but weak battery life, 250 watt motor, no throttle, and in general “cheap. I have to bite my tongue to keep from pointing out how much better the Cruiser would have been.

I wish my wife would have at least test rode the Cruiser. She instead went with a cheap Fuji from Performance. It’s okay, but weak battery life, 250 watt motor, no throttle, and in general “cheap. I have to bite my tongue to keep from pointing out how much better the Cruiser would have been.
I'm sorry to hear that. I know it is hard. It was hard for my wife to purchase the more expensive bike. But I think now she is glad she did.

Are the cruiser sold direct or through dealers?
I got mine through a dealer which is nice as it is all set up and tested out. But I think Magnum also sells direct through their website. I will say that it is a little intimidating because it looks bigger than all the other bikes. And is is about 8" or so longer than my Magnum Plus. But it weighs pretty much the same as their other bikes.

Back