Actually, ebikes will get you much LESS exercise

For a specific test parameter, ebikes do save you from sweating, so you get less exercise. This is absolutely true. This is relevant to training and commuting because there are times you want to be able to cover distances with less effort or with modulated effort.

Analogously, lifting a 50 pound weight will require more effort than lifting a 5 pound weight.

This does not mean that you can't get a decent work out routine around weights less than 50 pounds. It also does not mean that lifters who can only use 50 pound weights will be fitter. By and large, lifter want the entire range of free weights so they can tailor their workout to their specific requirements.

That's what an ebike does. It allows the user to take a piece of terrain and then modify the workout routine independently of the terrain.

There was a recent article on this topic in bicycling magazine. On average, an ebike workout burns about as many calories as walking (per minute, mile or whatever other unit). An hour walk is a solid workout imo, as is an hour's ride on an ebike.

The difference is, I can ride many hours on an ebike with far less fatigue and cover a lot more ground than I normally would otherwise.

For example, I'm generally wiped out after a 2.5 hour hilly, mountain bike ride. Yes, after 3 hours on an emtb, I still feel pretty fresh.

I still encourage everyone to walk regularly however, as bicycle riding is no substitute for weight bearing exercise.

There was a recent article on this topic in bicycling magazine. On average, an ebike workout burns about as many calories as walking (per minute, mile or whatever other unit). An hour walk is a solid workout imo, as is an hour's ride on an ebike.

The difference is, I can ride many hours on an ebike with far less fatigue and cover a lot more ground than I normally would otherwise.

For example, I'm generally wiped out after a 2.5 hour hilly, mountain bike ride. Yes, after 3 hours on an emtb, I still feel pretty fresh.

I still encourage everyone to walk regularly however, as bicycle riding is no substitute for weight bearing exercise.

To me, this confirms how important it is to clarify individual exercise goals and abilities rather than blindly believe studies. I recognise we need to absorb " science" , but I guess I'm a bit cynical about observer error and deficiencies in trial structure.

For me, an hour of emtb gives me a much better cardiorespiratory (and whole body ) workout than an hour of oldmtb , and FAR more cardio than an hour of limping - mostly because my feet / legs are my limitting factor due to injuries. Those injuries convinced me to make sure osteoporosis isn't a concern so I'll continue to prioritise my cardiorespiratory fitness over weight bearing exercise. More imortantly for me, the emtb gets me working my foot muscles more than the oldmtb so I'm calling it rehab - my walking capacity is increasing since buying the emtb!!

Yesterday I went for a short job with my kids around a local trials mountain bike trail. That's the first time I've jogged more than 2/3 steps since breaking my foot 2 years ago. Come to think of it, it's probably the first time my youngest child has seen me run! Three months with an emtb ( I've had oldmtb's for 15 years)

Show me who is smiling from ear to ear while walking. Now poll the ebikers.
ABSOLUTELY! My ebike's brand has the motto "Hello, fun!" It makes it sound like ebikes are just recreational, and some people ridicule the brand because of the non-serious motto, but ebiking IS so much fun and I get that smile whether I'm riding to work, on a recreational ride, or out to get my hair cut!!!

I ride EXPONENTIALLY more on my ebike than I ever did on any and all other bikes in my life. Combined.
My entire biking experience up into my mid-20's was perhaps 150 cumulative miles, total? I hadn't been on a bike for the last 25 years or so, until the ebike arrived this spring...!
Tonight, I'm hovering right under 2,700 total miles since March of this year.
And serving as my primary form of any recurring exercise now (to tie back into the title of this thread) tonight also officially marks 50-pounds-lost in my weight results!

"E-bikes bad for your health". The EMBN folks weigh in on the exercise debate (right at start of the video):

At 12 minutes of this video, Specialized engineer says their staff is "fitter" since adding e-bikes ... riding more often:

Gotta say, I got plenty of exercise carting my ebike up this..

Attachments

• EDD36C9C-F96B-40CE-9889-4198D82F075C.jpeg
    EDD36C9C-F96B-40CE-9889-4198D82F075C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 434
Just got our ebikes yesterday and had two awesome workouts on them today.. We would NOT have ridden our normally aspirated bikes today.. People who say we are cheating are clueless, jealous or have some other problem I don't care to be involved with.

I found a new route home through some lovely and wonderful paths through Burns Bog tonight. Let me tell you that my thighs are burning, and I was huffing and puffing getting back up to the road to get home.
No exercise?
HUMBUG!!!:D

I had 125 miles of commuting this week--about . Without my ebike, I would have spent that 8-ish hours sitting in my car or on a bus.

I wasnt sure what to expect when I got my electric torque sensor equipped MTB hardtail (Bulls Evo 3 27.5+). If anything I expected it to be a fun thing to ride when I wasnt on my analog MTBs.

As it turns out, there hasnt been a ride yet where I havnt been sore the next day. Despite that, Im doing about 120mi/week vs 30 or so on my analog bikes. My fitness has definately increased substantially.

For me, the torque sensing setup is like crack, I just cant get enough so I just keep pushing as it makes me feel like superman.

Surveys/Studies can show whatever they want. That doesnt affect the way I use my ebike.

As roxlimn stated, you can set the level of effort you want regardless of terrrain, its all up to the user.

Todays ride was going to be a somewhat off day, just using higher levels of assist and enjoying being outside. Turned into a 45mile ride. Legs are trashed

Last edited:
I use my e-bike the way as I’ve used my regular bike for many years. Short rides to work ( 3-6km one way) and daily leasure rides 10-30km with a bit longer rides in weekends ( 30-60km). I do this with much less effort ( still in Eco mode). I interpret that as I get less exercise unless I really try to put effort into the pedalling.
Now the great thing for me is that with my e-bike I can do longer rides than before and I’ve done longer rides more often than recent summers so I probably still get some exercise.
That’s my story.
For a lot of people e-bikes have been the key to activate themselves and that is absolutely great.

Last edited:
As the OP said, there is no question that ebikes will get you MUCH LESS exercise than a regular bike and Shimano proved it with hard numbers. However, if you were NOT getting any exercise before, from a regular bike or otherwise, ebikes are a great way to motivate you to start a however small exercise and get better with time. On the other hand for hardcore road/MTB bikers, ebikes might serve a dual purpose IMO.

First of all quick runs to various stores (grocery, pharmacy, coffee shop, various shopping, etc..) and commute and arrive at work in decent shape (no shower or change of cloths needed), as well as long leisure rides with your significant other that usually wouldn't happen because of difference in ability.

And second having your mate help you train harder (your mate on the ebike and you on your MTB or road bike). From personal experience I have the best motivation and workouts and improve my times when another biker happens to be in front of me. Makes me work that much harder to catch him. And I don't care if he is ridding an ebike or not.

Last edited:
Back