Abus Granit Xplus 540 U-lock experiences?

SAbike

Region
Canada
I'm finally going to buy as sturdy a lock as possible for my new Vado SL. Just to lock it to a post for a dash into a bakery (nothing overnight). My trusty local bike shop strongly recommends the pricy Abus Granit Xplus 540 U-lock (Can$ 200) over Kryptonite.

But at The Wirecutter (the NYT's generally reliable consumer guide), they've determined, to my dismay, that this Abus is not hard to cut through: "ABUS U-Lock Granit X-Plus: While this U-lock was one of the lightest for its size, we took significantly less time to cut through it than we did cutting through the New York Fahgettaboudit Mini."
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-bike-lock/

The Kryptonite standout, the "New York Fahgettaboudit" series, seems totally out of stock here in Canada or on online sites, though. Dilemma.

If they're using an Angle Grinder to cut through the lock then almost nothing can stop the thief.

That said, the 540 is a good lock and should prove quite difficult - frankly impossible - to cut with bolt cutters... but its not as strong or thick as the Fahgettaboudit.

The Fahgettaboudit Mini is super tough - better than the 540 ABUS in many ways, but its size can restrict you, especially if you have a thick framed bike, its possible you'll need a chain too. Then the chain maybe the weak spot.

All in all, I think the 540 isn't a bad compromise for the purposes you propose, as you need to keep in mind the weight of the locks. The stronger they are the heavier they become.

Best to back it up with an insurance policy just in case!

I'm finally going to buy as sturdy a lock as possible for my new Vado SL. Just to lock it to a post for a dash into a bakery (nothing overnight). My trusty local bike shop strongly recommends the pricy Abus Granit Xplus 540 U-lock (Can$ 200) over Kryptonite.

But at The Wirecutter (the NYT's generally reliable consumer guide), they've determined, to my dismay, that this Abus is not hard to cut through: "ABUS U-Lock Granit X-Plus: While this U-lock was one of the lightest for its size, we took significantly less time to cut through it than we did cutting through the New York Fahgettaboudit Mini."

The Kryptonite standout, the "New York Fahgettaboudit" series, seems totally out of stock here in Canada or on online sites, though. Dilemma.
i use the Xplus 54 mini; i don’t leave a bike without other theft deterrents out in the open for days at a time, so locking through every component isn’t a top priority. i believe the only difference is length and weight, and i’ve found both the 54 minis i have to be excellent locks. i typically lock to parking meter or city bike racks, but occasionally a fence post, bench leg, etc. the dimensions of the lock are very practical for me.

~25% cheaper at BikeInn.com - don't know about Canadian import duties or taxes.

i use the Xplus 54 mini; i don’t leave a bike without other theft deterrents out in the open for days at a time, so locking through every component isn’t a top priority. i believe the only difference is length and weight, and i’ve found both the 54 minis i have to be excellent locks. i typically lock to parking meter or city bike racks, but occasionally a fence post, bench leg, etc. the dimensions of the lock are very practical for me.
I've been thinking of one of those "Dutch" wheel locks just for light duty, run into coffee shop type situations. Hopefully, where there is also enough foot traffic so that the bike is out in the open and less of a target.

I've been thinking of one of those "Dutch" wheel locks just for light duty, run into coffee shop type situations. Hopefully, where there is also enough foot traffic so that the bike is out in the open and less of a target.
I have one (the ABUS 5950) and, while I would never trust it to protect my bike for more than a minute or two, it was an easy install and works great. I ordered it, the chain that attaches to it, and the ABUS 6000 folding alarm lock, both also keyed to my battery key, to make up my security regimen. I still don't leave it out of my sight very long, but for short periods of time away this works well for me.

I use ABUS 440 A ("A" is for "Alarm"). I attach the bike to the sign-post, typically, and never leave the bike alone for long. OTH, the area I live is almost theft-free...

my kid/errand e-bike has a built in wheel lock, plus a tracking feature. the problem is that i’m not sure a serious thief cares. they’ll just pick it up and take it anyway, without knowing it’s of little value to them.

i will leave it with the kick lock only for perhaps a minute or two.

USHAKE combination u lock is also great. I use it to lock motorbikes and e-bikes. It does not necessitate a great deal of work in order to use it. With a four-digit combination and a U-lock design, it was one of the easiest to set up. Because of its simplicity, it can be an excellent choice for someone who has never used a lock before.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of putting my old Citadel lock back in service - the lock that can be picked with a BIC pen. How many bike thieves these days remember how to do it? Probably not many. And it would be supplementary to other locks anyway.

Let's face it. The only secure way to store a bike is in a building, and even those have limitations. For security while stopping on a ride, I think you just want to park in a visible location, where it would be obvious that someone is spending way too much time fiddling with the bike or sending out sparks.

I'm thinking of putting my old Citadel lock back in service - the lock that can be picked with a BIC pen. How many bike thieves these days remember how to do it? Probably not many. And it would be supplementary to other locks anyway.

Let's face it. The only secure way to store a bike is in a building, and even those have limitations. For security while stopping on a ride, I think you just want to park in a visible location, where it would be obvious that someone is spending way too much time fiddling with the bike or sending out sparks.
Yes, old Sparky with the cordless array of tools might be obvious although passersby might be oblivious!!! Just the other day, I added a simple Abus cafe lock to my Creo. It is kind of a ring lock where the rotating shackle engages between spokes on the rear wheel, attaching to the seat stays. The bike cannot be ridden or rolled away but could be lifted. The version I purchased has a port for a chain (separate accessory) that gets locked/unlocked at the same time (and that could be secured to a pole or post.

The idea is to make theft inconvenient at the coffee shop where the bike is in a very public place.
Abus LockChain Combo.jpg

I have a dutch 'cafe' lock from Abus with the extension. I bought a high end Kryptonite lock which is a pain due to weight and wanted something to lock up while at the dentist or doctor's office. I bolted the Abus wheel lock onto the frame so easy to carry. The extension has a ring at one end to easily fasten around a fixed pole or bench and then plug into the lock. The ebike is foldable so the extension locks both wheels when folded. I also carry a cable the locks the seat and the extension locks that in place. I relize this is not as strong as the Kryptonite but the bike is never locked for more than 2 hrs and always in a protected area. I also know an angle grinder will cut through anything in less than 60 secs so anything is a compromise. I also have bike insurance so there is additional backup. In my book the Abus wheel lock is a winner.

I have a dutch 'cafe' lock from Abus with the extension. I bought a high end Kryptonite lock which is a pain due to weight and wanted something to lock up while at the dentist or doctor's office. I bolted the Abus wheel lock onto the frame so easy to carry. The extension has a ring at one end to easily fasten around a fixed pole or bench and then plug into the lock. The ebike is foldable so the extension locks both wheels when folded. I also carry a cable the locks the seat and the extension locks that in place. I relize this is not as strong as the Kryptonite but the bike is never locked for more than 2 hrs and always in a protected area. I also know an angle grinder will cut through anything in less than 60 secs so anything is a compromise. I also have bike insurance so there is additional backup. In my book the Abus wheel lock is a winner.
I had also debated getting a disc brake lock. There are any number of them these days, too. But the Cafe Lock is along for the ride as you mention and already attached so a bit more convenient. I saw some of the disc brake locks came with colorful springy lanyards from the locks to the handlebars for just the memory issue! I have ordered one of those colorful springy bracelets to throw on my seat or handlebars to remind me the lock is engaged.

I had also debated getting a disc brake lock. There are any number of them these days, too. But the Cafe Lock is along for the ride as you mention and already attached so a bit more convenient. I saw some of the disc brake locks came with colorful springy lanyards from the locks to the handlebars for just the memory issue! I have ordered one of those colorful springy bracelets to throw on my seat or handlebars to remind me the lock is engaged.
That is a good idea. We wear one of those springy colorful wrist bands when we switch off soft water to water plants. Going to get one for when I lock bike and don't fold it.

The Abus 540 lock will stand around 4 minutes against an angle grinder—which is quite good as far as U-locks go. Depending on your situation with the cost of the bike and how risk averse you are to theft, this may be just enough lock or not enough. Still, it's worth considering a more systemic approach. I'd recommend using this comprehensive guide as a resource. I spent tons of time researching to write it to make sure that folks like us worry a bit less about getting our bikes stolen and ride a bit more.

The Abus locks didn't do very well in tests by the New York Times Wirecutter unit: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-bike-lock/

Evidently they're not hardened as much as others?
They only reviewed the Abus folding lock, which is not as good as solid U-locks. Their results should definitely not be generalized to all Abus products. This summary is the most comprehensive look on cut times that I've seen. I go into in quite a deep depth that I'll spare you here.

They only reviewed the Abus folding lock, which is not as good as solid U-locks. Their results should definitely not be generalized to all Abus products. This summary is the most comprehensive look on cut times that I've seen. I go into in quite a deep depth that I'll spare you here.
Only folding? O really? Tell me how you can fold a Abus Granit X-Plus 540 U Lock or a ABUS Mini Round Shackle U Lock, 5.5"/15mm? You did actually read the link I posted? I guess not.

But Heck, believe what you want. And when your Abus lock gets cut with bolt cutters, don't blame me...

Only folding? O really? Tell me how you can fold a Abus Granit X-Plus 540 U Lock or a ABUS Mini Round Shackle U Lock, 5.5"/15mm? You did actually read the link I posted? I guess not.

But Heck, believe what you want. And when your Abus lock gets cut with bolt cutters, don't blame me...

I believe the only full proof way to avoid theft of a bicycle is to drive a car!

Deterrent is somewhat possible but if left alone and in out of the way spot, chances are it can be "liberated"

I've recently added the Abus Cafe lock and I got a shrill alarm I can set. I no longer commute and only bike for pleasure. I don't leave the bike really alone. When I did commute I was fortunate to have my own office and could take the bike up to it for the day.

Last edited:
Back