ABS on cable disc brakes?

BillJames

Region
United Kingdom
My Fiido M21 has cable disc brakes with ABS on the front. I can't understand how these operate but in any case I would like to turn it off as there is an annoying pulsing at all speed and on all surfaces. Has anyone any experience of these?

Okay never mind, you said pulsing, that sounds like ABS..
Yes that is what I thought. In another forum I have been advised that the M21 has no ABS. On the top of the right fork stantion there is a controller marked ABS with + and - symbols. Moving it seems to make no difference to the pulsing effect. I would like to stop this from happening but it difficult to find advice on what to do and the retailer is not answering my messages.

Yes that is what I thought. In another forum I have been advised that the M21 has no ABS. On the top of the right fork stantion there is a controller marked ABS with + and - symbols. Moving it seems to make no difference to the pulsing effect. I would like to stop this from happening but it difficult to find advice on what to do and the retailer is not answering my messages.
show is a picture. but if it is on the top of the fork thats for suspension not braking.

Attachments

• IMG_20220311_153952201.jpg
    IMG_20220311_153952201.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 169
Hello, please see the attached picture. I hope the writing is visible. Clearly marked ABS. Can you shed any light on this? Grateful for any advice.

If I understand true ABS brakes on a bicycle, you need a disc brake rotor and a sensing disc on the other side. I have no idea how that would be accomplished with mechanical brakes. What you might be hearing is the brake pads against the cooling channels on the rotor.

Just a generic fork lockout cap. No idea why it says ABS, but it has nothing to do with the brakes. Look here: ABS Cap

Sounds like you need to check the basic brake alignment, and go through the "bedding" process to set those new front brakes. That often helps with shuddering and noise. There can be other causes too, but that's a place to start.

Park tool video - How to bed brakes

Reactions: JRA
Just a generic fork lockout cap. No idea why it says ABS, but it has nothing to do with the brakes. Look here: ABS Cap

Sounds like you need to check the basic brake alignment, and go through the "bedding" process to set those new front brakes. That often helps with shuddering and noise. There can be other causes too, but that's a place to start.

Thanks very much, I will give this a go. Appreciate your help

Perhaps a copycat or knock off of this

I have found out that this controller has nothing to do with ABS brakes, it is a lock for the front suspension. The letters are a red herring and/or refer to the material ABS plastic.

I have found out that this controller has nothing to do with ABS brakes, it is a lock for the front suspension. The letters are a red herring and/or refer to the material ABS plastic.
LOL...because it's important to know that it's ABS...which is about 90% of all plastics! LOL.. 🤣

Well glad you got to the bottom of it.

I think you stopped too soon on your research, the letters are not a red herring as you say. It stands for ABSolute+. https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/manitou-absolute-mtb-fork-upgrade/
And when you say controller around eBike circles, you are talking about an electronic component.

I think you stopped too soon on your research, the letters are not a red herring as you say. It stands for ABSolute+. https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gear/manitou-absolute-mtb-fork-upgrade/
And when you say controller around eBike circles, you are talking about an electronic component.
Thanks, I was advised on another forum the bit about ABS being the plastic. Being new to this wasn't aware that a controller was electronics only. Is the correct term for this component an adjuster perhaps?

Back