A review of the Priority Current with Enviolo after a month of daily use

Eric0976

Region
USA
Extras on the bike:
Two Ortlieb back rollers (carry bike tools, backpack with work items, lunch and work clothes)
Cane Creek Thudbuster G4 ST Seatpost
About me: I am mostly in shape and exercise regularly, 5.10ft, 160lbs. (male, 45).
Use: Bike is used mostly to commute to work as quickly as possible with little to no sweat (some grocery shopping too, not used for recreation as I use a normal bike for that).
The route: This is what my route looks like, all of it is paved and mostly in good shape (slopes are in red). Google Map estimates that with a normal bike it takes 46 minutes to do the route. The hills are the reason I bought an ebike. I enjoy them only for recreation and when I don't mind sweating, I don't want to sweat (or only very lightly) while commuting to work and I want a quick commute.

1631561435444.png

Level of assist used: On a dry road, the 5.2 miles are currently done in 20 minutes at a sustained cadence. Level-5 assist used to go up 5%-or-more slopes. Level-3 or level-4 assist used to go up slopes with 4% grade. I use no assist when going down slopes graded 5% or more. I use assist 1 or 2 when going down slopes that are less than 5%. Given my route (and my level of fitness), I use a level of assist of 4 or more about 35 to 40 percent of the travel time. On flat, rare as you can see, I use 2 or 3. In addition, I also push hard on the pedals to maintain a good cadence so the motor also works harder for any given level of assist (it is a torque sensing motor). Overall, I demand quite a bit from the motor but I also do my share of the effort (no throttle on the bike so the harder you pedal the more the motor helps).
Battery range: I get a range of 15 miles with a full charge so not enough for a 1.5 trip. I tried my luck once and ran out of power about .5 mile from work, not fun even on a small incline, manageable on flat but you do feel the 50+ pounds so not enjoyable. I recharge at the end of everyday (i.e. every 10.4 miles). I use a Luna Mini charger and charge at 80% (to increase battery longevity), which is about just enough for a round trip. A flat route and leisurely ride will greatly increase the battery range but I am not using the bike that way. The low range does not bother me as I am not trying to use the battery efficiently but rather I want to get from A to B asap while dealing with steep hills. A bigger battery would only help marginally while adding weight.
Shifter: Enviolo shifter is great and I think a necessity if you have traffic stops and traffic lights (I have one light and a few stops). You don’t need to think about being in the proper gear before you start pedaling because you can adjust gears while stopped, this is VERY convenient (especially if you are crossing a road with cars going at 40mph+). The gearing range is good enough for me. I will struggle going up a 15% slope (about 8 mph with significant effort) and a 8% slope gives you some work, but compared to bikers with normal bikes it is easy (You notice that when you pass them easily). Going down slopes, I can’t complain that pedaling cadence is too fast, it is fine. 30 mph is achievable with about normal pedaling cadence and some effort, I do reach regularly 35 mph down 5% slopes with medium-high pedaling cadence (my top speed has been 37.8 mph per the computer, which was achieved early on when I was fooling around with the bike down the 15% incline).
Overall: I personally like the bike design but the main reason I bought this bike was for the high torque and the low maintenance features. The bike is very quiet and enjoyable to ride with some assist (not enjoyable without assist). Don’t expect the Current to be a bike that requires no work from your part, it provides pedal-assist only (no throttle). I specifically chose such bike as I do want to have some workout while commuting (my legs are sore at the end of the day) but I do not want to have to take a shower at work (a 5 minute rest and change of cloth will eliminate the bit of sweat and potential odors). I also want to stay as close as possible to the bike experience so torque sensing is a must and throttle is unnecessary to me. Bumps on road are noticeable but not bothering to me, especially with the Cane Creek seatpost. An excellent ebike for people physically fit and wanting some exercise but limited to no sweat when getting to work while also staying close to a normal biking experience.

Last edited:
I get a range of 15 miles with a full charge
The battery is 500 Wh. The energy consumption is (in your case) around 500 Wh / 15 mi = 33 Wh/mi (around 21 Wh/km). It means you actually use massive assistance to get the average speed of 15.6 mph. I don't think it is anything wrong with the e-bike, only the assistance chosen seems to be very high.
Have you tried to reduce the assistance as to cover your commute in, say, 25 minutes? That would reduce the average speed down to 12.5 mph, and I can bet that would have a tremendous effect on the battery use.

Just asking!

P.S. Cannot really comment on your findings. Frequent starts/stops at intersections, perhaps? Strong wind? On my recent ride (with another e-bike) I had these performance figures:
1631601262603.png

Translated to Imperial units: 31.7 mi, average speed of 17.3 mph, max speed 29.0 mph. Battery consumption of 421 Wh, battery consumption factor of 13.3 Wh/mi. I am unfit due to my ailments, and weigh 200 lbs. True, my terrain is flat.

There is something I cannot understand about the battery consumption figures on your commute...

Last edited:
I think part of that high usage could be the fact that he might be a new/low time e-bike rider. A LOT of us totally sucked when it came to riding an e-bike efficiently early on. There's just way more to it than what first meets the eye. Balancing speed, assist levels, and the gear you're in, all based on the conditions you're riding in at any given time, takes some finesse most of us don't have right away. Given the interest to do so, I'd be willing to bet he does much by time he gets to 500 miles.....

Well, as I said I use assist 4 or 5 about 40% of the route. It's got steep hills and I want a quick trip so I don't ride leisurely on the hills (high assist and I put quite some effort to sustain the cadence as much as possible). According to Google it takes 46 min to do the route on a normal bike, that's a lot of time for 5 miles but makes sense given the inclines.
I don't mind the low range of the battery, I would rather get to where I need asap, that's why I bought the ebike, so I don't want to cut the pace (in fact I hope to raise it as I get use to the route, I already could do 19 minutes a few times)

Last edited:
Well, as I said I use assist 4 or 5 about 50% of the route. It's got steep hills and I want a quick trip so I don't ride leisurely on the hills (high assist and I put quite some effort to sustain the cadence as much as possible). According to Google it takes 46 min to do the route on a normal bike, that's a lot of time for 5 miles but makes sense given the inclines.
I don't mind the low range of the battery, I would rather get to where I need asap, that's why I bought the ebike, so I don't want to cut the pace (in fact I hope to raise it as I get use to the route, I already could do 19 minutes a few times)
OK, you just want to get to work dry :)

How are you enjoying the Wuxi Truckrun M01 motor? Does it winch you up your steepest hills without overheating? Does the torque pedal assist sensor react quickly when you start pedalling? Enviolo CVT is the way to go, nice equipment on an ebike at this price point.

y, 5.9ft, 165 pounds (male).
Use: Bike is used mostly to commute to work (some grocery shopping too, not used for recreation as I use a normal bike for that).
The route: This is what my route looks like, all of it is paved and mostly in good shape (slopes are in red)

1631561435444.png

Level of assist used: On a dry road, the 5.2 miles is currently done in 20 minutes at a sustained cadence (goal is to commute asap while saving some battery power when possible). Level-5 assist used to go up 5%-or-more slopes. Level-3 or level-4 assist used to go up slopes with 4% grade. I use no assist when going down slopes graded 5% or more. I use assist 1 or 2 when going down slopes that are less than 5%. Given my route (and my level of fitness), I use a level of assist of 4 or more about 50 percent of the travel time. On flat, rare as you can see, I use 2 or 3.
Battery range: I get a range of 15 miles with a full charge so not enough for a 1.5 trip. I tried my luck once and ran out of power about .5 mile from work, not fun even on a small incline, manageable on flat but you do feel the 50+ pounds so not enjoyable
yep. No sweat and one round trip of power are my constraints. ASAP within them.

How are you enjoying the Wuxi Truckrun M01 motor? Does it winch you up your steepest hills without overheating? Does the torque pedal assist sensor react quickly when you start pedalling? Enviolo CVT is the way to go, nice equipment on an ebike at this price point.
There is a one-second delay to requests for more or less assist but it does react immediately to pedalling.
Motor has no issue on the hills. It is of great help, but you do need to do your part (quite a bit of it actually on 9%+ slopes). First time I almost walked part of the 15% slope. Now I do it at 8 mph.

All seems very consistent with what I've experienced and written about. Glad you're enjoying the bike!

At first I was a little spooked by your range, but I guess at high assist and speeds, it makes sense!

Thanks for sharing your experience, Eric. I ride my Current for recreation only, but every now and then I like to "air-it-out" in PAS 4 or 5. I know what a battery hog that level of assistance can be.

I'm roughly your height and weight, but I'm getting 40-50 miles of range. Still, I generally stay between PAS 1 and 3, and ride mainly on relatively flat rail trails.

Eric 0976 said:

(my top speed has been 37.8 mph per the computer, which was achieved early on when I was fooling around with the bike, I could have gone faster).

I did about the same speed once coming down the mountain road where I live, but I wasn't fooling. As the saying goes, "I'm too old for that s***". I didn't like going that fast on a bike. The fastest I go on purpose is mid 20's. It's exhilarating to pedal that fast once in a while but that's definitely fast enough for my comfort on a bike.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Eric. I ride my Current for recreation only, but every now and then I like to "air-it-out" in PAS 4 or 5. I know what a battery hog that level of assistance can be.

I'm roughly your height and weight, but I'm getting 40-50 miles of range. Still, I generally stay between PAS 1 and 3, and ride mainly on relatively flat rail trails.

Eric 0976 said:

I did about the same speed once coming down the mountain road where I live, but I wasn't fooling. As the saying goes, "I'm too old for that s***". I didn't like going that fast on a bike. The fastest I go on purpose is mid 20's. It's exhilarating to pedal that fast once in a while but that's definitely fast enough for my comfort on a bike.
If only I could dig a horizontal tunnel through these hills...would save me a lot of battery power... 😀
well, thinking about it, in that case I would just ride my normal bike...😑

If only I could dig a horizontal tunnel through these hills...would save me a lot of battery power... 😀
well, thinking about it, in that case I would just ride my normal bike...😑
I still get plenty of exercise on my Current. For uninitiated friends or relatives, I describe ebikes as akin to a Peloton that actually travels. I get to choose my degree of exertion.

Having tried out several ebikes over the past year and a half, the Current is finally the keeper. I gulped hard at the price, since I really wanted to stay within $1500 or close to that. I have no regrets though. It's very comfortable to ride and climb aboard, but the single greatest feature in my mind comes down to the torque sensor. I expected an incremental improvement, but it really transforms the riding experience. That addition alone justifies the premium price vs. most cadence sensor bikes.

I still get plenty of exercise on my Current. For uninitiated friends or relatives, I describe ebikes as akin to a Peloton that actually travels. I get to choose my degree of exertion.

Having tried out several ebikes over the past year and a half, the Current is finally the keeper. I gulped hard at the price, since I really wanted to stay within $1500 or close to that. I have no regrets though. It's very comfortable to ride and climb aboard, but the single greatest feature in my mind comes down to the torque sensor. I expected an incremental improvement, but it really transforms the riding experience. That addition alone justifies the premium price vs. most cadence sensor bikes.
Glad you like it. I do too.

Back