A really good handle bar cell phone mount?

Rich W.

Region
USA
City
The Farm, Grass Valley, Ca
I’ve tried two different mounts and both were under $20 so admittedly cheap, and neither does the job sufficiently. What I’m looking for is something that will hold the phone without fail (both of mine seem to do this but they haven’t been tested in rigorous conditions), is not big and bulky, and rigidly mounts to the handle bar with hardware so it wont come loose, spin around on the bar etc. I want something that will hold the phone where I put it. I really didn’t think I’d care and would prefer to just leave the phone at home (I don’t answer it anyway) or in a bag, but I have to admit I like the “Ride” app, so….recommendations? There are just too many on the market to sort it all out, many reviews are questionable, and I don’t want to keep buying and testing them myself.

The mounts I’ve tried:
4B0BBEE7-22C2-48D5-A289-A89213C1BE1B.jpeg
Bulky, poor mount, just basically junk, but it does lock the phone in the mount so at least it wont fall off.
F729466D-6499-470D-8370-83A6BB1C5F9C.jpeg
Seems to maintain position on the bar ok, but it also seems like a good way to lose or damage a phone. I’m not confident the phone will stay in it while riding on rough surfaces.

Last edited:
Peak Design makes an excellent mount and case.

The combo of mount+case is ~$120, but very secure with excellent retention, imho looks nice, not bulky, quick and easy to secure.
The Peak Design mount+case is what I use. It's excellent. The bike mount comes with a GoPro mount, so you can have both a GoPro camera and your cell phone mounted simultaneouly, the GoPro in front and the cell phone in back.

The case is part of a system; there is a car mount and a mini-tripod that I also use, both also excellent. The drawback is that the whole system is expensive. As usual, you get what you pay for.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yesterday I realized I have another parameter - I would be nice to be able to use the camera on the cell phone (iphone) to shoot video. My current bulky, cheap, but seemingly robust mount has a bar right in front of the camera.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yesterday I realized I have another parameter - I would be nice to be able to use the camera on the cell phone (iphone) to shoot video. My current bulky, cheap, but seemingly robust mount has a bar right in front of the camera.
You can certainly do that with the Peak Design mount. The cell phone can mount either vertically or horizontally. I have shot many videos with my iPhone mounted on my handlebars that way. The iPhone stabilization is very good. The videos it produces are very smooth.

You might try these older posts on the subject. There are lots of good ideas:

I'm partial to those designs that articulate. That way, you can adjust the angle to avoid annoying sun glare from the screen.

I made my own from RAM mount parts. (Post #14 in the first thread I linked above) It's rock solid and adjusts to any angle. The RAM mounts can also be used to attach other devices as well.

You can certainly do that with the Peak Design mount. The cell phone can mount either vertically or horizontally. I have shot many videos with my iPhone mounted on my handlebars that way. The iPhone stabilization is very good. The videos it produces are very smooth.
This is the mount that my wife recently switched over to gain quick access to her Pixel. She found the Quad Lock to be mostly hit and miss when it came to re-attaching her phone back on to the mount after taking photos. She can now perform this action single-handedly in one swift motion and the way the magnetic catch works is pretty slick. The mount is reversed on her bike as she wanted room out front for a handlebar bag.

IMG_20230121_1941307.jpgIMG_20230121_1941464.jpgIMG_20230121_1941569.jpg

I have a lot of Peak Design equipment for photography and it’s all top notch.

For those of you who have the Peak Design: does it articulate such that you can make minor adjustments for sun glare and viewing angle? Or is it just locked positioning? (I know it flips up).

For those of you who have the Peak Design: does it articulate such that you can make minor adjustments for sun glare and viewing angle? Or is it just locked positioning? (I know it flips up).

The out front mount shown here (bike is vertical against wall) let's you position it so that it is more viewable depending on how
far over the handlebars your are (drops more, flat bars less). It takes an Allen bolt, so you can't adjust on the fly.

I've used screen protectors ($10-$20) to minimize glare.

Attachments

• PXL_20230122_184127939.jpg
    PXL_20230122_184127939.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 115

For full articulation you would likely need the T-Ball adapter which is more than 2/3rds the price of the mount itself in addition to a RAM mount.

The PD out front kit comes with a thumbscrew which makes it much easier when adjusting the tilt on the mount rather than using the standard hex bolt and wrench.

I always thought that the cell phone mount was pretty much for navigation and entertainment, but I suppose the "Ride" apps are popular.

Back