A Nice Fatty under $2000?

Kevan

I'm still dreaming and scheming and trying to come up with the money to get my first fat e-bike, and at this point I gotta find something under $2,000. I thought I had settled in on the Rad Rover, and I think you've reviewed it favorably.

All Terrain MD | Bafang Mid Drive Electric Fat Bike
$ 1,650.00

RADROVER ELECTRIC FAT BIKE
$ 1,499.00

I just found this other new bike, ( All Terrain MD) and I don't know anything about. They also have a full suspension electric fatty, called the KUSH, for under $2,000 Just wondered if you had any insight? Big main difference is rear hub to mid drive. I believe I really prefer the mid drive, and have heard of the "Bafang" motor, but the components sound on the cheap side? Thanks for any help you can provide, I appreciate your opinion.

It is a bit above $2,000, but Lunacycle has the Black Friday 4 Season 1k for $2300

https://lunacycle.com/black-friday-4-season-1000-fat-tire-ebike-khs/

If you are bike savvy, you could add a mid-drive to a pedal-only fat bike using a kit. Check the DIY section for help with that.

Also there is the Voltbike Yukon

http://www.voltbike.ca/voltbike-yukon.html

Maybe state a bit about what type of riding you want to use it for. What types of terrain (sand, dirt, snow, pavement, etc)? Do you need things like fenders? bike rack mounts? bottle cage mounts?

If you want higher end components, you really need to breach the $3,000 mark. Then you can start getting into bikes like the iZip E3 Sumo (~$3200) with Shimano SLX and Bosch motor (2017 model)

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Of all the bikes noted by James above, the Luna build is definitely the best option. The thing about all the others listed is most ebike companies at this level cheap out on the rest of the bike components.

The Luna is using a decent khs bike with solid mid level components (i believe they are next door to khs which probably gets then a good deal on the bikes...)

That 2017 izip is a great deal for a Bosch drive at that price too.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. It's a great help to have others perspectives. I'm up here in Northern Michigan and most of my riding would be in the Winter months, on snow mostly, along with some sand along the Lakeshores. I just can't afford to get into anything more than $2000 at this point. I just didn't want to end up with something that would break down in a year due to really cheap parts. I need it to last 5 ( I won't rag on it too much) and then I can step up to something nicer hopefully.

I'm in the same boat, so I'm putting off my fat-bike purchase until next season to save up for something I really want. One of my big desires for snow are wider 4.5-4.8" tires. Not all frames/forks can handle tires like that. I also want tires/rims that can go tubeless. Again, lots of research left to do. Like you, I could afford a $2,000 bike today, but for my personal needs decided to wait until I can meet all my criteria, not just settle and hope it will be fine. That's not to say these sub-$2000 bikes are junk. But to get into that price point, corners must be cut. Typically on components, which you could probably upgrade later. You may also be limited in frame sizes. If you have a long ride, having a bike that is too big or too small can be a royal pain.

bikesdirect and a mid drive. OR a fat MAC gear drive. Yuppers are good folks. We spent 7 or 8 summers just below the border in Phelps WI. Best dentist ever, Painless Pete Schindelholz Land O Lakes I think.

I'm just wrapping up a one speed $399 bikes direct with BBSHD 30T X 22T still faster than I need to go.

$400 bike
$ 700 motor
$600
$75 Suntour springer seat (best price best post)
$50-100 better seat

Still have room for a rack. Best fender to me are the cheap plastic deflectors. Could go to a 7 speed for another $200 and forget the seat upgrades.

A fat MAC is about $325 but the BD fat ones aren't that wide. (170MM) they're 135MM leaving more choices.

I don't think it's possible to buy a built bike for that unless you find a demo bike or closeout from last years models.
I would hesitate to go with the Shimano as long as my dealer was reasonably close. I hate driving.

Karl rides extremely hard. It makes him a good resource. Kinda a one man show for recommending resellers but lots of good info.If he doesn't break it, it's probably as stout as you'll find.

A bikedirect setup is a much nicer starting point than that kickstarter success.

Don't forget to price in shipping costs. I like my Voltbike Yukon 750. All Voltbikes ship pretty low:

US$69 commercial U.S. address
US$99 residential U.S. address
CAD$49 anywhere in Canada

Voltbike has warehouses in both U.S. and in Canada, so custom and duty is not a problem.

Their Yukon Fat Tire are from US$1,349 (base model) to US$1,599 (latest model, fully loaded with fenders and rack, 750W Bafang Geared hub motor, 80 N.m., 48V 10.4Ah Panasonic battery). Check it out, I love mine!

http://www.voltbike.ca/voltbike-yukon.html

2n74aa9.jpg

Last edited:
Even with shipping a build can easily stay at budget.

Those do look like nice bikes!

The mid drives are more attractive to me but the HD looks decent. I'd like to see a review from Court. For an off-road bike I prefer a bit more power. I'm guessing the 500W motor is a Bafang geared? I spent to much on fenders only to find I clog them up, but it sure does look nice! It's always a pleasure to read that someone is enjoying their choice! Ride safe!

Tom

Personally, I like powerful Hub Motors. It is more stealthy. It nicely hides behind the rear cassette and brake rotor. It is mechanically simple. It is basically just an electromagnetic coil with 3 planetary gears. Not much to go wrong, and parts can be easily replaced. And the torque makes it feel zippy in any gear (not just the low gears).

I saw a video of someone servicing a mid-drive motor. It looks very complex and proprietary inside.

Court reviewed the Yukon 750 here: https://electricbikereview.com/voltbike/yukon-750/

@Thomas Jaszewski The Yukon 750 is 750W (not 500W), 80 N.m., unless you are referring to the older model or another bike.

Last edited:
Personally, I like powerful Hub Motors. It is more stealthy. It nicely hides behind the rear cassette. It is mechanically simple. It is basically just an electromagnetic coil with 3 planetary gears. Not much to go wrong, and parts can be easily replaced. And the torque makes it feel zippy in any gear (not just the low gears).

I saw a video of someone servicing a mid-drive motor. It looks very complex and proprietary inside.

Court reviewed the Yukon 750 here: https://electricbikereview.com/voltbike/yukon-750/

@Thomas Jaszewski The Yukon 750 is 750W (not 500W), 80 N.m., unless you are referring to the older model or another bike.
I followed the link. But 750w is a nice motor!

Back