A little troubling happening in the e-bike world...

In the Netherlands it is different I think. It is a relatively crowded country, with a lot of bicycles. Because it is a flat country, and a relatively small country, biking is popular.
That also means that the roads and users are used to bikes, but speed-bikes are new, and people are not used to that speed, su=o you have to be attending.

Insurance is aboot 250 euro a year (all-risk) and licence-plate is one time fee by buying, most of the time integrated in the price while buying.

Here almost everything is egulated, so ebikes are to. 2 different kinds: both only work when you work to. I dont agree that it is an moped, I have to work quite hard tot ge to 40+ kmph. An norml ebaike only works with you till 25 kmph, an a speedbike to 45 kmph.
Not to be a nosy rosy- but integrated into price of bike could mean $5.00 or 75% of new bike price. Insurance cost sounds ok- but 1 time license fee needs to be more accurate for me. Thank you, Barry

I suspect (conjecture) that the space and bike culture (many more bikes) in the Netherlands is probably responsible for some of the regulation? But there may indeed be "other" reasons...

agree...glad you have the NW to "bike" in...lots of good country out there! And, yes, as many other replies have noted...a little responsibility goes a long ways.

My point entirely...they are not true pedalecs and have little place in the world of e-bikes that do not exceed 28mph. It may indeed make sense to register and insure such a vehicle? Throttle on but leave the rest of us to enjoy our e-bikes...
True pedelec. Do you consider stormer st2 a true pedelec? How about Bulls Es 45 fs?
Surely the phrase "once you try a correct pedal assist you too will realize there is no need for a throttle" came from riding a st2 or equivalent and not from a mid drive. For commuting, running errands, car replacement there is prolly more difference between a mid drive and st2 than a st2 and another throttle based 28mph bike. Actually, same holds true at 20mph. It's a complex issue- seems most of us think our thoughts and likes makes sense. And it does, to us. Conclusion?
Idk. Just felt like writing something.:)

Not all riders seek the higher watt/volt/amp systems because of a "need for speed". Larger riders with bad knees are one market segment that require more assist than the 250-350w systems can provide. The e-bike speed demons that run illegally on public roads are a danger to themselves and others, and certainly could lead to more regulation. It's all about how and where you use the technology. Your always going to have some people with bad judgment; but that does not seem to effect unit sales in other industries, like say for example, ATV/Jet Ski/Motorcycle sales, in fact safety innovation has produced much better products.

thank you...all good points. Sadly, very distracted drivers these days are a serious hazard to anyone riding a bicycle. Add to that, the number of drivers who have little or no understanding of what it might be like to ride a bicycle in traffic, one can only hope for the best. The most helpful thing that we cyclists can do is to be as courteous as possible while out on the road, respecting the fact that we are indeed driving a vehicle. Abiding by the rules for traffic, using proper signals and waving or saying thank you to drivers who recognize the little problems that we run into while out on the road is cost free from our end. And there is little question, I believe, that good lighting on one's bike, front and back, helps.

I'm amazed by Moonboy and the push for larger motors. Ive been riding. 350w mid drive now ine fourth season. I started at 290lbs. No problem getting 20mph. With careful management and shifting a 52t chainwheel was possible. But managing shifting was important.

In the netherlands throttle is illegal. Only walk assist is legal (till 6kmph)
Ebikes with throttle are legally something else, and regulated seperatly. (2 classes, for max speed under 25 kmph and max speed under 45 kmph) if they can go faster, they are considered motorbikes, but cant follow the other requirments , so they are illegal too.

In the netherlands throttle is illegal. Only walk assist is legal (till 6kmph)
Ebikes with throttle are legally something else, and regulated seperatly. (2 classes, for max speed under 25 kmph and max speed under 45 kmph) if they can go faster, they are considered motorbikes, but cant follow the other requirments , so they are illegal too.

interesting...thanks for the follow-up Peter

Back