Nitro 48v battery on Neo 36v bikes.

Peter

There has been a lot of questions about this in different threads so will start a new one to have all info in one thread.

Will try to answer all your questions about 48v Nitro battery on 36v bikes.

Yes. You can put a Nitro battery on any BH Neo 2013-2014 model. Thats it. No need to swap controllers or rear wheel. Top speed on euro bikes increase 10 kmh. An Australien has a Nitro battery on his Cross. I have a friend with a Nitro. Borrowed his battery for a few days. Tried it on my 2014 Race and 2013 Jumper. No problems. Just higher top speed but lower range. My range in boost mode is 80 km with my 12 amp 36v battery on the Race. With Nitro battery the range drops to 50 km.

I have heard of no issues with a Nitro battery on a 36v bike but of course it will affect your warranty.

Yes you can fit a Nitro battery to a Cross.

In my EU country a Nitro battery is 1000 dollars. The you have to add a new charger also.

To 86 and still kicking. I would seriously consider a Nitro battery for your bike. Its a 100 percent match. Both in colors and in the frame. I know you have made a lot of custom changes to your bike. Then you keep this instead of investing in a new bike. One thing to consider though is the danger of increased speed. In my country 5 people have died on ebikes in the last two years. All above 80 years old.

One of the key features of Easy Motion bikes is that they come with 5 year warranty on the motor/frame.
Running a 48V battery will certainly void that warranty, which you don't want.

Last edited:
So how many ah is the Nitro battery? Is the reduced range related to going faster, and would the range be the same at the same speeds? Normally I would expect more range from a higher voltage battery, all other things being the same, ie same ah.

So how many ah is the Nitro battery? Is the reduced range related to going faster, and would the range be the same at the same speeds? Normally I would expect more range from a higher voltage battery, all other things being the same, ie same ah.

48x9.

Yes reduced range because of more speed I guess.

Not exactly related question, but are EVO batteries fully compatible with the NEO line, or would they void the warranty a well?

If you are in the market for an ekstra battery to your Neo bike I would go for a Nitro battery.
It fits your Neo bike. I have tried it on my euro race. It rose my top speed with 10 kmh. The range is about 60-70 percent og the 12amh 36V battery.

I am seriously considering getting a nitro battery for my Carbon. Will it damage the motor? Would I need a new charger?

I am seriously considering getting a nitro battery for my Carbon. Will it damage the motor? Would I need a new charger?

It's hard to say. The mass of copper windings in 350W are lesser compared to 500W motor (there is a difference between this and software limited motors).
So running higher voltages on motors that are not set up may not be the most prudent option. I am asking @lilrich1959 to see if the controller on the Nitro can be used on other models like Carbon, Jumper. If so, I will ask him to send me one. This way, we can achieve higher speeds on the 36V system.
Definitely, you'll need a new charger. 48V battery chargers run at 52V, whereas ours run at 41V.

If you are in the market for an ekstra battery to your Neo bike I would go for a Nitro battery.
It fits your Neo bike. I have tried it on my euro race. It rose my top speed with 10 kmh. The range is about 60-70 percent og the 12amh 36V battery.
Thanks for the suggestion, Peter. However, I'm looking for more RANGE, rather than increased SPEED. I'm not a seasoned rider, so 32kmh is adequate for me. And being on 20" wheels means the ride isn't as smooth to begin with ...

I've achieved over 40kmh on some downhill slopes ... and that speed feels too dangerous!

Dont bother buying a Nitro controller to get higher speeds on Neo bikes. It does not Work. It has been tried.
You either need a Nitro battery or a battery booster pack.

Thanks for the suggestion, Peter. However, I'm looking for more RANGE, rather than increased SPEED. I'm not a seasoned rider, so 32kmh is adequate for me. And being on 20" wheels means the ride isn't as smooth to begin with ...

I've achieved over 40kmh on some downhill slopes ... and that speed feels too dangerous!

You need a 12Ah battery. Mine gets me ~45 miles with consistent pedaling (160lb rider).

Thanks Ravi... I've ordered one!! Now investigating framebags as a way to carry the second battery for long trips.

I've changed my mind about speed and now lean towards greater hill assist which is why I'm leaning to a speed (Impulse 2.0) mid-drive. I will test ride an ST2 before making any decision as I certainly wouldn't pass up speed and torque combo. As a former motorcyclist I consider a bicycle to be a more dangerous vehicle due to being substantially underpowered on the road and that bicycling gear is nowhere near as protective as motorcycle stuff. As a road user, I view speed as a double edged sword as it can both hurt you and help you. Range is not an issue for me but may be so as my conditioning and hence seat time increases.

The bottom line is that there are going to be performance compromises in e-bikes for probably another 5 to 10 years. I consider current e-bikes to be in the early adopter part of the sales curve. 4 or 5 years from now we will probably laugh at today's performance envelope. I view my bike purchases as a 12-15 month endeavor.

Personally, it's not worth the risk to put a 48v Nitro battery into a 36v NEO bike for the reasons Ravi stated. Go with a 12ah battery, unless you need extra torque and speed. If you want to put a 48v Nitro battery in a NEO just remember you know own a "kit" bike w/o a warranty. For some that's fine, but for most it's too much risk. Take that from someone who has been modding motorcycles, cars and other toys for over 30 years. It's a heap of fun, but you do so often with considerable risk ($$$ and safety). Just because something appears to work, doesn't mean it will stand the test of time.

What I have to often remind folks is that we are talking about bicycles here. If you can't get up a hill w/o more effort than whats needed on one of our bikes, it might be time for a motorcycle or scooter. Having measured a 730w continuous output at full boost on our "350w" motor, I'd say by most folks standards, that's pretty decent. Maybe that's why I have outclimbed a Specialized Turbo, Lapierre Bosch mid-drive mountain bike, Currie E3 Peak, and Stromer Elite on our 650b Jumper and with more comfort. Anyway, everyone has to find what works best for them.

Will technology improve, absolutely! Will battery capacity and motor efficiency also improve, certainly. When that happens I hope to be the first in line. In the meanwhile, there are some great choices our there, so find (or build) the best bike for you...and enjoy the ride seeing as today is all we have!

Peace.

Personally, it's not worth the risk to put a 48v Nitro battery into a 36v NEO bike for the reasons Ravi stated. Go with a 12ah battery, unless you need extra torque and speed. If you want to put a 48v Nitro battery in a NEO just remember you know own a "kit" bike w/o a warranty. For some that's fine, but for most it's too much risk. Take that from someone who has been modding motorcycles, cars and other toys for over 30 years. It's a heap of fun, but you do so often with considerable risk ($$$ and safety). Just because something appears to work, doesn't mean it will stand the test of time.

What I have to often remind folks is that we are talking about bicycles here. If you can't get up a hill w/o more effort than whats needed on one of our bikes, it might be time for a motorcycle or scooter. Having measured a 730w continuous output at full boost on our "350w" motor, I'd say by most folks standards, that's pretty decent. Maybe that's why I have outclimbed a Specialized Turbo, Lapierre Bosch mid-drive mountain bike, Currie E3 Peak, and Stromer Elite on our 650b Jumper and with more comfort. Anyway, everyone has to find what works best for them.

Will technology improve, absolutely! Will battery capacity and motor efficiency also improve, certainly. When that happens I hope to be the first in line. In the meanwhile, there are some great choices our there, so find (or build) the best bike for you...and enjoy the ride seeing as today is all we have!

Peace.

Nate,
48V, 12Ah battery would make Nitro City one hell of a commuter bike. Are you guys getting any 12ah, 48V battery?

Any deals on neo batteries. Either 36v9a, 36v12a, or the 48v. I worry about how much longer they will be available now that the Eco's seem to be phasing out the Neo bikes.

Vern, you can rest assured you will be able to get batteries for NEO bikes for years to come. At the point that we make the decision to no longer produce them should we do so, we have contracted with a 3rd party to repack your battery with fresh Samsung 18650 cells. By design, we have done our best to future proof the BH/Easy Motion line of ebikes. You don't succeed for over 100 years by looking the other way when your valued customers expect to enjoy their bikes for many years to come.

It's one of the things that sets us apart, and the main reason I work for BH.

Also, if you compare our battery prices to our competitors, you will find that our prices are very competitive and in most cases less expensive.

48v 9ah batteries are available for sale now!

Back