700 rack and Topeak bags?

billium

New 700 ST arriving soon and I want to buy a new Topeak Trunkbag DXP so I can use it for grocery shopping.
They have two versions - velcro and Quicktrack
But, the stock rack is a little unusual in that that it appears to be flat with rounded back AND front so there is no front rail to attach velcro to
Topeak do also sell a quicktrack adapter which might attach to the stock rack.

Has anyone installed this bag or similar Topeak on a 700?
Which method did you use and how did it work out?

1606409615387.png1606409820445.png

I have used the Topeak trunk bags for many years with the quicktrack system. When I bought a couple of 700's last year, the quicktrack adapter was not available so I took apart the beamracks I had and mounted the quicktrack plate from it which is basically like the adapter they sell now. No velcro crap for me to hold on a bag. I like the ease of the slide on, slide off. I am not sure that adapter plate will mount securely to the 700 rack based on specs of the adapter. I thought about trying the new adapter, but my setup works fine.

The adapter is made of plastic vs the metal tracks on the racks - which are probably better.
How did you attach the plate to the rack?

I used a piece of metal under the main bike rack cross members, dropped 3 bolts using the holes on the Topeak plate, and used lock washers and wing nuts to tighten. Wrapped part of the Topeak plate in black tape and used black marker on other spots to darken it. I will take the Topeak plates off sometime to paint for a much better look...it was a prototype lol.
Topeak 1.JPG

Topeak 2.JPG

Topeak 3.JPG

Topeak 4.JPG

Attachments

• Topeak 1.JPG
    Topeak 1.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 326
Nicely done!
My bike is supposed to arrive at the end of this week and will start planning my setup then.

You will enjoy the 700 ST. Both of mine, ST also, have been really good after a couple teething issues were solved when I first got them.

New 700 ST arriving soon and I want to buy a new Topeak Trunkbag DXP so I can use it for grocery shopping.
They have two versions - velcro and Quicktrack
But, the stock rack is a little unusual in that that it appears to be flat with rounded back AND front so there is no front rail to attach velcro to
Topeak do also sell a quicktrack adapter which might attach to the stock rack.

Has anyone installed this bag or similar Topeak on a 700?
Which method did you use and how did it work out?

View attachment 72658View attachment 72659

I just purchased the Topeak Bag and Quicktrack Adapter for my Espin Sport. The little arms that adjust on the bottom of the adapter do not come out quite far enough to catch securely on my rack. It feels fairly stable, but I'm wondering what I could do short of a zip tie for insurance against losing my bag when I hit a big bump...

If you have a marine store nearby look at making longer arms with black plastic 'Starboard' which is very tough and can be cut and drilled like wood.
The sheets are quite expensive but you may find offcuts for next to nothing.

If you have a marine store nearby look at making longer arms with black plastic 'Starboard' which is very tough and can be cut and drilled like wood.
The sheets are quite expensive but you may find offcuts for next to nothing.
I'm surprised Topeak didn't make the arms a half inch longer. Maybe concerns over tensile strength? ( Caution-insurance guy using tensile strength in a sentence!)

I saw the same issue and got the Velcro version but that had too-short mounting straps too.
I used to think that Topeak made quality stuff but I see now they have made some puzzling engineering decisions that lead me to question that...
I ended up getting the Rockbros 'copy' and am very happy. See my review in this group.

I used a piece of metal under the main bike rack cross members, dropped 3 bolts using the holes on the Topeak plate, and used lock washers and wing nuts to tighten. Wrapped part of the Topeak plate in black tape and used black marker on other spots to darken it. I will take the Topeak plates off sometime to paint for a much better look...it was a prototype lol.View attachment 73062
View attachment 73063
View attachment 73064
View attachment 73065
I thought about that but cheaped out. :confused:

I saw the same issue and got the Velcro version but that had too-short mounting straps too.
I used to think that Topeak made quality stuff but I see now they have made some puzzling engineering decisions that lead me to question that...
I ended up getting the Rockbros 'copy' and am very happy. See my review in this group.
I think after I secure the Quikctrack Adapter to my rack with 4 zipties, I should be in good shape. I doubt you will even be able to notice them...

Tell me more about heavier zip ties. This was my first purchase.
Oh man they come in dozens of sizes. Find em in Home Depot or similar store and you will see what I mean. They come from tiny to huge. I'd go with something kinda medium sized. That is, thickness wise.

Ok. New update on the Topeak back with the Quicktrack Adapter. I ordered zip ties from Amazon and they came today. There is an art to secure the Quicktrack Adapter and then add the ties. So far so good. Feels stable and solid. Gunna take an afternoon cruise. Fingers crossed. The bag popped off yesterday on it's maiden voyage with no zip ties and a half arsed install. I blame the service tech ;)

Somebody kill my buzz and tell me it's gunna fall off again!

Attachments

• Adapter.jpg
    Adapter.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 547
  • Topeak.jpg
    Topeak.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 381
Back