6v vs. 12v Light

jbrescia

Region
USA
If I can add either a 6v or 12v light to my Bosch system, what are the pros and cons of going for the higher voltage? I'm looking at the Lezyne pro drive 800 switch high volt. Looks to have everything I want in a bike light. Cheers!

Any additional features with either light? I always feel safer during daylight "share the road" riding with headlights/taillights that can strobe.

well 12v will give you more light. You will have ot make sure the bike is programmed for 12. so you may have to visit the dealer.

Just pragmatically from someone who has done a lot of night riding on roads and mountain biking:

You're not going to outrun the distance a 6v system shines down the road. And the "be seen" improvement of 12v is not consequential - drivers will see you fine with a 6 volt system.

So if it means hassling with switching to a non-standard voltage for the whole bike that can reduce overall battery life, I'd just go 6v and not worry about overkill specification arms wars.

This question cannot be answered because the voltage is of little importance unless you know the configuration of the light, modern LED emitters use less than 6 volts. One can use many emitters in parallel or in series (in series requires higher voltage) many super high power emitters have multiple dies on a single substrate connected in series so their lowest voltage is more than 3V because the series/parallel arrangement is within the emitter itself and cannot be changed. So the best system is the one that is closest to te requirements for the emitter you will be using or the one you want to use in the future. You could say the best system is the one that can deliver the most Watts (V x A), but running more A causes more heat and requires more expensive design and components, so if you can match a higher voltage source to an emitter(s) that can deliver more Lumens, then you might be better off with that one. So really it has nothing to do with 6V or 12V, but which one has the better design over all, and the best design is the one that fits your requirements the best.

I forgot who it was but I read a post from a well-known member here who said that integrated light can sometimes make diagnosing electrical issues a problem.
I use non integrated 4000 lumens forward light run time is 3 hours and charge it with my Samsung charger. For my rear light I have blue non blink light that I leave on daylight or nighttime riding, touch wood I have not ram on to another cyclist or joggers on shared paths on my commute to work in morning hours when sunshine is not up yet.
At OP just flip a coin, head 12v tail 6v. If you choose to integrate lights on your bike.

Back