Error 13

Trinity

Recently experienced the "Error 13" at the end of a 40km ride with one bar (less than 20%) left on the battery. The manual indicates that "Error 13" is a COMMUNICATION issue ... and suggests removing and reseating the Control Panel. This didn't seem to work for me.

I found this short video on YouTube ...

I haven't tested the bike since seeing this video... (charging the battery now) ... but hopefully this will resolve my "Error 13".

My "Error 13" issue which has just been resolved, turned out to be broken wires. :(

I haven't collected the bike yet, so don't know which ones.

I've now collected the bike, and the error 13 code was being caused by an internal break down of the console wire, where it goes into the headstock. BH said that it had been pulled and broken internally.

Thanks for the input, EddieJ. Do you remember snagging it on something, or was it just an unlucky manufacturer's defect? I think mine is just the Control Panel. I had a spare panel, and the spare works without issue.

BH are saying that I have pulled it, which is a possibility given the amount of times that I've fallen from the bike. But equally, given that I've had repeated error codes from day one of my ownership, the wire could have been broken during the bikes assembly stage. The main thing is that it has now been replaced, although I haven't ridden the bike to find out.

Thanks for the video and updates @Trinity, I'm glad to hear the new console has fixed your issue but sorry to hear it came up in the first place! Thanks for your input @EddieJ

I got the dreaded error 13 a couple times today towards the end of my 20 mile ride. I have the new console unit and I don't think it sits as tightly into the connector as the original one did. After watching the video above, I'll also check the wire connector grommets as well. (Thank you posting that @Trinity).

I get error 13 daily on a particularly long steep hill at the end of my 11 mile commute. Near the top of the hill when I am on 2nd chain ring, 2nd (low) sprocket, max assist, battery @ 50%, the error appears as I drop to about 5-7mph. The motor keeps working, and the error goes away when I turn the bike off and on. BH (local to me) was unable to reproduce it. I seem to be able to avoid the error if I maintain speed over 7mph at the top of the hill, which makes me suspect heat is a factor. Right now I consider this is a minor nuisance, but hope a fix can be found.

This is the first time I've ever gotten this error. I thought it might be an overheating thing until I looked it up. Maybe it's in combination with the motor heat, as I was at the very end of my ride, with 1 mile to go, and encountering a couple hills.

I too have experienced the dreaded error 13 on my Street. Having now ridden over 400 miles it appears to be very random. Uphill, downhill, or coasting so not sure its caused by overheating. The power assist continues to work so not a big safety issue but still very annoying. Also have noted the back light on the display will not come on with the lights. BH support has sent me a new display unit to see if this will fix the problem. Will try it out on my next ride..raining today so will have wait a day or so.

Good news..the new display seem to be working great after 3 rides. No Error 13. Also the back light issue seems to have been operator error. I could not tell if the back light was on in the daylight but in the garage I could tell it was working OK. The new display shows a program u3.5 on start up which I guess is more advanced than my old one which read u3.0 on start up. Also "miles to go" seems more accurate. My last ride of 15 miles depleted the batter 50% (I was riding very aggressive with average speed 20mph) and the "miles to go" read 15 mile to go..right on the money. So far so good!

After a complete firmware update, I no longer see Error 13. But, since the update, I have seen Error 5 a few times, accompanied by power loss. It recovers on it's own after 5-10s, but it is disconcerting when traveling at high speed in traffic. Anyone know what Error 5 means?

@Ravi Kempaiah @Crazy Lenny Ebikes @lilrich1959

Gentlemen,

My current EVO Street console (with v3.0 firmware) throws the Error 13 code. I see from Pastabatman above that there is a firmware update (to 3.5) and it appears to be a good update, no longer giving problems with Error 13.

How can I get my EVO Street console updated to the latest and greatest firmware?

My problem is total shut down LCD screen goes blank no error code at all . Remove LCD put it back and I move on . I'm still waiting for shop to repaire it . They ordered a new controller.

My problem is total shut down LCD screen goes blank no error code at all . Remove LCD put it back and I move on . I'm still waiting for shop to repaire it . They ordered a new controller.

I have the same problem, with erratic power off and no errors. I just got a call back from the shop they put a screw in the back and have tested the bike - they say its working fine now. I'll find out tonight. Good luck,

I've recently been getting an error 13, which initially it would happen about 5 minutes after replacing the battery after charging it up. The power would cut and and the screen would fade so that the 13 was barely visible. Removing and replacing the battery or giving it a bit of a wiggle seemed to do the trick and then it wouldn't happen again until the next time I removed the battery to charge it. It seems to be getting worse and happens with more regularity.
Has anyone come across this. I was thinking about getting some isopropyl alcohol to give the contacts a clean.

Yes I have clean contacts and re seat battery in holder. Undo the two screws on frame but battery back on turn power on move battery arround see if it shuts down if not remove it a gain gently hold down the contacts and secure again gently hope that works mine did . But I had battery problems as well waiting for new battery. Good luck

Yes I have clean contacts and re seat battery in holder. Undo the two screws on frame but battery back on turn power on move battery arround see if it shuts down if not remove it a gain gently hold down the contacts and secure again gently hope that works mine did . But I had battery problems as well waiting for new battery. Good luck

Thanks for the tip. I cleaned the contacts and then did the battery contacts reseat as you described, but had the same issue again today whilst riding home for work. Next move is to get in touch with the bike shop.

Greetings. I have the Neo cross, approx 2.5y old and 5700km done. So far no major issues other than running into a Error 13 here and then.
I normally just needed to clean the contact of the display and was fine for the next 1/2y.

Yesterday a bike shop replaced the coat of the back wheel. In addition I dropped the display after it was done and tried to power up the bike first time after repair and ran into the Error 13 few seconds after the battery icon was flashing (as normal).
I checked all connections (front and rear) and they seem to be ok.

What I can reproduce is that the display goes from error 13 back to normal for a few seconds when using either the left or right break before I see the error 13 again. However, the motor will not start at any time.

Beside dropping the display we also cleaned the display contacts again. The bike shop guy used a bit too much of the contact spray maybe (?). Can this cause issues like described here?

Other than that only the rear connection was unplugged to remove the wheel of cause. But again, contact look good.

Is there another connection below the battery I am not aware of?

Anyone seen the behavior that error 13 goes away temporarily after using the breaks? Normal or a indicator that I do not have a cable problem but something else?

Big up for your help. Bless.

Update: In my case I was lucky that the owner of the bike shop used to have the same bike and he had a spare display left. All works fine again. Note to myself... stop dropping the display. I am just happy that I don't have to change cables and stuff.

Back