Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, PL
1728403624134.png

'Calling it an ‘E-Bike’ is an Insult'

Share your views!

Last edited:
1.2 more with more power, bigger battery 520wh vs 320wh. Bigger tires Hemisphere 700x47. Looks like they went all Shimano derailleur except for the top end AXS Sram. Also, only carbon frame, no aluminum.

Pricing seems too high at this point. Its priced at $6000 for the SL2, which is what I paid for my SL 3 years ago. Seems like at this point with more competition and post COVID, maybe it should be $5000. Maybe an Aluminum version for $5000? The new bike is 33-35 lbs. Same advertised weight as my older SL with Aluminum.

The top end 50 forward bike with AXS is $8000 USD. $2000 more seems pricey for what you get. Better seat, carbon wheels and upgraded derailleur/brakes.

Last edited:
1.2 more with more power, bigger battery 520wh vs 320wh. Bigger tires Hemisphere 700x47. Looks like they went all Shimano except for the top end AXS Sram. Also, only carbon frame.

Pricing seems too high at this point. Its priced at $6000 for the SL2, which is what I paid for my SL. Seems like at this point with more competition and post COVID, maybe it should be $5000. Maybe an Aluminum version for $5000? The new bike is 33-35 lbs. Same advertised weight as my older SL with Aluminum.

The top end 50 forward bike with AXS is $8000 USD. $2000 more seems pricey for what you get. Better seat, carbon wheels and upgraded derailleur/brakes.
I believe the weight of the size large in the video was around 41-43lbs.

View attachment 183718
'Calling it an ‘E-Bike’ is an Insult'

Share your views!
You can thank me for this release. Bought an SL 5.0 EQ new four weeks ago.

No regrets, though. Even the regular SL 6.0 carbon would have been out of my price range, you still have to buy the 5.0 EQ to get my beloved yellow paint, and the 5.0 prices have yet to be reduced.

As tempting as the new 1.2 motor and 520 Wh UL-certified battery might be, my 1.1 motor and 320 Wh battery are plenty for typical rides on local hills after reducing the chainring from 44t to 40t. Might have avoided that with the new motor, but it cost me all of $80, and I don't miss the ratios lost at the top end.

The FutureShock 3.2 adds damping to my 1.5, but the latter still does a surprisingly good job. Don't know enough to compare the other components on quality and performance, but would still want to change the tires to tubeless Pathfinders.

Last edited:
This looks great....but where is the weight savings? I could really get behind my SL in a less rigid carbon frame version but I expect some serious weight savings. My old SL 4.0 weighs 35lbs already.

This is a "limited run for preorder limited to 250 bikes globally and available at select retailers". I assume that Spesh is dipping their proverbial toes in the proverbial waters with this one.

I agree with GAJ....thankfully the 'got to have it' factor is low. Neat bike. I like it. But I don't need it.

I wonder if the new battery will fit the 5.0 but as I don't even have the need for the ancillary bottle battery at the moment the "got to do it if possible" factor is once again low.

Maybe I'll ask Santa for the bottle battery.

With 320 watts mnufacturers rated power, its not legal here in Colombia so the discussion is moot for me. Besides, for $6KUS pluds taxes there are some other ebikes out there that would be a better match for me and what I do with an ebike.

I wonder if the new battery will fit the 5.0 but as I don't even have the need for the ancillary bottle battery at the moment the "got to do it if possible" factor is once again low.

Maybe I'll ask Santa for the bottle battery.
I always ask Santa for these type of things....but it never seems to work out. Perhaps this year I will hide the menorah.

One thing I'll give the 6.0 EQ is the rack: Looks sturdier, many more ways to hook on bungees and cargo nets, and MIK compatibility means many more bag and basket options.

Wonder if it would work on the 5.0 EQ?

Last edited:
This looks great....but where is the weight savings? I could really get behind my SL in a less rigid carbon frame version but I expect some serious weight savings. My old SL 4.0 weighs 35lbs already.
Official product pages put the medium 6.0 EQ at 18.0 kg and the medium 5.0 EQ at 16.5 kg. The SL 5.0's thinner downtube makes it look more svelte as well.
I would not trust the weights given by Specialized. One needs to weigh the e-bike to make sure. I's say only 33 lbs with a huge battery is an achievement.
With 320 watts mnufacturers rated power, its not legal here in Colombia so the discussion is moot for me.
Marquez, trust me: the continuous nominal power is still 250 W. 320 W is the peak power. The e-bike is perfectly legal. FYI, a Vado 5.0 has the nominal power of 250 W but it can pump up to 565 watts if needed. It is still perfectly legal in Europe.
I wonder if the new battery will fit the 5.0
Highly doubtful. See how big the downtube on Vado S:L 2 is!

Interesting, the display is on the stem now. Not sure if I like that. I have my Garmin Edge 840 mounted on my stem.
Oh, come on :) I have a display on the stem of my Vado 6.0, and use a Wahoo mount just on the right side of the stem. No issue for me!

You can thank me for this release. Bought an SL 5.0 EQ new four weeks ago.

No regrets, though. Even the regular SL 6.0 carbon would have been out of my price range, you still have to buy the 5.0 EQ to get my beloved yellow paint, and the 5.0 prices have yet to be reduced.
I am more than happy with my Vado SL 4.0 made in September 2020. Got four Range Extender, the e-bike has been brought by me to the level of my dream e-bike, and I decidedly not need anything new. After yesterdays increase of the chainring to 42T, my SL rides faster and feels more efficient where I'm riding.

There were several Forum members who speculated a carbon Vado SL with the SL 1.2 motor: Nobody expected the Spanish Inquisition 520 Wh battery though :) Bear in mind, it is Carbon LTD. The best components and a few extra have been added to the LTD. I expect a lower priced alloy version in some time.

I would not trust the weights given by Specialized. One needs to weigh the e-bike to make sure. I's say only 33 lbs with a huge battery is an achievement.
Perhaps....but not an achievement that I care about. My old 4.0 SL battery provides MORE than enough charge for anything that I need...in fact I charge the bike about 1 time per 100 miles and enjoy riding without motor assist quite a lot. On this same point Stefan...you can bet your a$$ that Spesh isn't under-stating that weight....and they aren't wrong by much in real life.
For those that really want to 'turbo' around on an ebike and guzzle electricity while doing so.....the SL has never been a good choice. I have a different bicycle to 'turbo' around on when needed. Why try to make the SL something that it isn't/wasn't? Don't answer that....I already know....big battery scores bit marketing points.

Edit: A lighter carbon SL would be excellent. I just don't think that this new introduction is what I was specifically looking for. I don't need more power or more battery. I need less rigidity and more comfort. The more I think about it....my SL is nearly perfect as it is. If Spesh is going to go carbon on this model.....go lightweight for chrissakes!

Perhaps....but not an achievement that I care about. My old 4.0 SL battery provides MORE than enough charge for anything that I need...in fact I charge the bike about 1 time per 100 miles and enjoy riding without motor assist quite a lot. On this same point Stefan...you can bet your a$$ that Spesh isn't under-stating that weight....and they aren't wrong by much in real life.
For those that really want to 'turbo' around on an ebike and guzzle electricity while doing so.....the SL has never been a good choice. I have a different bicycle to 'turbo' around on when needed. Why try to make the SL something that it isn't/wasn't? Don't answer that....I already know....big battery scores bit marketing points.
I can only re-iterate: some Forum users expected a carbon Vado SL and a stronger motor :) Now, they have got what they asked for :)

NB: I was talking about LTD related to the weight as I was unaware of the existence of SL 6.0 only a couple minutes ago! The less expensive models are somewhat disappointing: even no FutureShock?

I can only re-iterate: some Forum users expected a carbon Vado SL and a stronger motor :) Now, they have got what they asked for :)

NB: I was talking about LTD related to the weight as I was unaware of the existence of SL 6.0 only a couple minutes ago! The less expensive models are somewhat disappointing: even no FutureShock?

This should be just 'the ticket' for some folks....but this SL market was a small market to begin with. Spesh knows this....and they are only making 250 of these globally. Hard pass for me.....unless this were an even trade for my old trusty.

Back