Vado SL 2 Carbon LTD premiered today!

I purchased a new discounted SL 5.0 this week.

No regrets for me. The SL 6.0 would have been out of my price range too.

I have not used my SL e-xercise bike with motor assist.

I found the SL easy enough to pedal without motor assist, despite quite significant head winds, so no opinion on the additional power or range.
You can be glad you did the purchase of your life! The Gen 2 Vado SL 5.0 you bought (I mean, the SRAM/Mastermind version) will serve you well for a long time! I'm equally glad to have bought my MY2020 SL 4.0 EQ model in 2021. Over three years of use, a single thing had to be replaced (a crankarm), and over 10,000 miles of adventure! Just think I thought that e-bike wouldn't be for me only 4 months prior the purchase!

If I could turn the time, that would be the Gen 1 Vado SL 5.0 non-EQ but who knows what the future holds?
------------
Long time members of this Forums know me as maybe the most carbon-fibre-sceptic person :) I admit I am a rather careless person of poor situational awareness, and my Vado SL went through a lot :) Were it made of CF, it would be shattered into little pieces by now :)

Fancy the following situation:
You are a proud owner of a Vado SL 2 6.0 EQ. You put your e-bike on a kickstand. Suddenly, a strong squall comes. The e-bike is suddenly on its side with the CF chainstay cracked. Does the warranty cover that? I can bet NO.

You can be glad you did the purchase of your life! The Gen 2 Vado SL 5.0 you bought (I mean, the SRAM/Mastermind version) will serve you well for a long time! I'm equally glad to have bought my MY2020 SL 4.0 EQ model in 2021. Over three years of use, a single thing had to be replaced (a crankarm), and over 10,000 miles of adventure! Just think I thought that e-bike wouldn't be for me only 4 months prior the purchase!

If I could turn the time, that would be the Gen 1 Vado SL 5.0 non-EQ but who knows what the future holds?
------------
Long time members of this Forums know me as maybe the most carbon-fibre-sceptic person :) I admit I am a rather careless person of poor situational awareness, and my Vado SL went through a lot :) Were it made of CF, it would be shattered into little pieces by now :)

Fancy the following situation:
You are a proud owner of a Vado SL 2 6.0 EQ. You put your e-bike on a kickstand. Suddenly, a strong squall comes. The e-bike is suddenly on its side with the CF chainstay cracked. Does the warranty cover that? I can bet NO.
Actually, the warranty most likely would cover that. I have a carbon Sirrus X5 with a kickstand that has tipped over once and suffered no damage.

Last edited:
Actually, the warranty most likely would cover that.
Screenshot_20241009_145944_Chrome.jpg

- Dunno how I feel about the bike tbh.

- assuming they’ll follow this up with SL 4 and/or 5 in alloy with a lower price. But if with that big battery could be looking at 44/45lbs weight. Hmmm.

Yes you have given me an epiphany. I think I will take my old 'beater' 4.0 SL and give it a good cleaning and carefully place it in bubble wrap with moth balls. Obviously my older SL will become a 'unicorn' bike highly desired globally for its low weight to motor power to battery supply ratio. Yes....I must get started now! Today I will troll the local bike shops and purchase the many remaining piss colored 2021-2023 models that have been languishing on the floor untouched for years. I must get my shoes and pants on now!....the stores open soon! If the public had only one ounce of my vast brain powers we would all be rich....RICH I SAY!!!! MOOOOAAAAAHHHHAAAHHHAAA.

Last edited:
I think I for one was day dreaming that battery tech would have progressed to the point that a longer range battery would carry no weight penalty so I have to admit to being a bit naive.

Oh well, maybe in 10 years.

I think I for one was day dreaming that battery tech would have progressed to the point that a longer range battery would carry no weight penalty so I have to admit to being a bit naive.

Oh well, maybe in 10 years.
THIS is exactly the issue....and this is precisely why I am disappointed with this new introduction. I had not been among those who felt that the SL was ever hindered by power/range....and I welcomed any trade-off(s) for the benefit of light, nimble, and analog-like. Sure there was always a segment of SL buyers who did not adequately research their purchase and were left disappointed by the SL's lack of power or range....but that was THEIR fault not the bike's fault. I would like to have MY OLD SL bike with a carbon frame < 30 lbs and thus less rigid. Spesh chose to go carbon but unnecessarily added all the weight right back onto the bike and in doing so forgot the very purpose of that bike!

The SL was always a 'fitness' bike. The SL was never a true 'commuter' (or other ebike category) unless the rider was either very fit or had a very flat commute.

I do understand that manufacturers are always seeking to produce that swiss-army-knife bicycle that appeals to everyone for obvious reasons but this is a pipe dream. Given current tech...having a 5 hour battery that doesn't add 10lbs to the bike weight is also a pipe dream.

I do understand that manufacturers are always seeking to produce that swiss-army-knife bicycle that appeals to everyone for obvious reasons but this is a pipe dream. Given current tech...having a 5 hour battery that doesn't add 10lbs to the bike weight is also a pipe dream.
Vado SL 2 is the response to competitors offering Bosch SX, TQ HPR 50 or Fazua 60 e-bikes. It is not necessarily good for us, riders.

What’s wrong with a kickstand on carbon frame ? (I am bike noob just curious to know)
Carbon might be stronger than alloy but it is brittle when the stress acts laterally to the fibres.

For instance, a CF mountain bike might withstand wildest acrobatics but hit the frame from the side and it is gone.

Reactions: MC2
THIS is exactly the issue....and this is precisely why I am disappointed with this new introduction. I had not been among those who felt that the SL was ever hindered by power/range....and I welcomed any trade-off(s) for the benefit of light, nimble, and analog-like. Sure there was always a segment of SL buyers who did not adequately research their purchase and were left disappointed by the SL's lack of power or range....but that was THEIR fault not the bike's fault. I would like to have MY OLD SL bike with a carbon frame < 30 lbs and thus less rigid. Spesh chose to go carbon but unnecessarily added all the weight right back onto the bike and in doing so forgot the very purpose of that bike!

The SL was always a 'fitness' bike. The SL was never a true 'commuter' (or other ebike category) unless the rider was either very fit or had a very flat commute.

The SL 5.0 non EQ fits my needs perfectly so no worries here.

Vado SL 2 is the response to competitors offering Bosch SX, TQ HPR 50 or Fazua 60 e-bikes. It is not necessarily good for us, riders.
That response from Spesh is a misdirection imo. Those competitors utilize third party equipment and are limited in doing so. Spesh has the capabilities to out-engineer their competition but in this case out/over-engineered the use-case for this bike.

Stefan I choose to believe that this re-design is more likely Spesh's response to increase the marketability of the SL to a broader market segment. In doing so...they are inevitably leaving behind some of us who used the bike for its original intended purpose. Such is the way of capitalism. The number crunchers win again. Spesh's actuaries understand and are willing to lose me in favor of the two new buyers who approve of this direction.

That response from Spesh is a misdirection imo. Those competitors utilize third party equipment and are limited in doing so. Spesh has the capabilities to out-engineer their competition but in this case out/over-engineered the use-case for this bike.

Stefan I choose to believe that this re-design is more likely Spesh's response to increase the marketability of the SL to a broader market segment. In doing so...they are inevitably leaving behind some of us who used the bike for its original intended purpose. Such is the way of capitalism. The number crunchers win again. Spesh's actuaries understand and are willing to lose me in favor of the two new buyers who approve of this direction.
IDK, if one lowers the motor output to that of the 5.0 the range is extended significantly with a weight less than the 5.0/4.0 with bottle battery.

But at a huge price.

So not for me but for some out there with longer commutes it may be ideal.

Jason it is so simple:
'Vado SL has only 35 Nm of torque and only a 320 Wh battery; the SL motor is noisy! Our [name] is lightweight, whisper silent, provides 50 Nm torque, and has a 400 Wh battery. Vado SL is a crap, compared'.

Specialized: 'Vado SL 2 Carbon: Eat lead! 😃'

You (and I) would be the people to choose a Betamax VCR but the industry went VHS. That's capitalism for you.

IDK, if one lowers the motor output to that of the 5.0 the range is extended significantly with a weight less than the 5.0/4.0 with bottle battery.

But at a huge price.

So not for me but for some out there with longer commutes it may be ideal.
Yes I s'pose....but that is a smaller market even yet! Let's face it....those seeking range, power, and comfort were never SL buyers. Sure there might be a few die-hard roadies that find this appealing...but those folks are a tough sell on ebikes to begin with. I dunno....to each their own. This is definitely a direction that I had not anticipated for the SL. At this price I would definitely be more interested in the lighter Santa Cruz Skitch within this segment.

Jason it is so simple:
'Vado SL has only 35 Nm of torque and and only a 320 Wh battery; the SL motor is noisy! Our [name] is lightweight, whisper silent, provides 50 Nm torque, and has a 400 Wh battery. Vado SL is a crap, compared'.

Specialized: 'Vado SL 2 Carbon: Eat lead! 😃'

You (and I) would be people to choose a Betamax VCR but the industry went VHS. That's capitalism for you.
I loved my betamax...it was always better than my later VHS lol.

I've said it before..if I had one complaint..it would be motor noise from my 1.1 motor. It isn't a deal breaker type problem....it's just me being nit-picky.

I'll leave it to the overlords at Spesh who decided to make a bike with "super light" in its name title into a 'sort of light-ish but nearly heavy' ebike at its latest iteration.
Seems to me that the engineering department forgot to run this one by the sales/marketing people.

Great summary above. My Vado SL 5.0 EQ (size L) weighs just about 38 lbs dry with 46T Wolf Tooth aluminum chain ring, 3 bottle racks, heavy leather saddle, carbon seatpost, carbon handlebars, and extra handlebar mounts for flashing headlight and Garmin.. In my case that is probably just slightly more than a stock SL 5.0 EQ. The SL 6.0 2 EQ would likely be above 40 lbs since the smaller frame version is around 39-ish. I think the larger tires and 520 Wh battery must be significant. Of course, when I load my rack bag, 2 x Range extenders, water bottles, Navigation, extra lights, etc. I am up to around 51 lbs, which was the dry weight of my 2015 1st gen Specialied Turbo.

Carbon might be stronger than alloy but it is brittle when the stress acts laterally to the fibres.

For instance, a CF mountain bike might withstand wildest acrobatics but hit the frame from the side and it is gone.
Thank you.. this really helped me see and understand in my mind 👍

Back