Vado SL 2 Carbon LTD premiered today!

Actually, the warranty most likely would cover that. I have a carbon Sirrus X5 with a kickstand that has tipped over once and suffered no damage.
Sirrus X 5.0 is a 10 kg/22 lbs bike...

Unrelated but that might shed some light on the matter. e-MTBs usually take no kickstand (for many reasons). When I owned my 24 kg/53 lbs Giant Trance E+, I found a plastic box from Topeak claimed to be an MTB kickstand replacement.

1728538064758.png

You were expected to insert the pedal spindle into the groove, and the mountain bike would be supported that way. On the first attempt, it worked. I left my e-MTB in the garage. The next time I approached my Trance, it was laying tipped aside, and the "kickstand" was crushed under the e-bike weight... It was because the e-MTB was just too heavy for the part made for a lightweight pedal MTB.

Last edited:
This is the bike I've been waiting for, updated Vado w/ SL 1.2 motor.

Ain't no way in hell I'm buying, though. It's become a pig.
It is still a little hope Specialized would re-think the matter and produce a Vado SL 1.5 E5 with a more sleek alloy frame and the 320 Wh battery... Although I don't believe it myself as such an e-bike would cannibalize the SL 2 Carbon sales.

Specialized could offer a custom, special order 320 Wh battery option across the entire Vado 2 range, a genuine SL for the luddites😎
SL 2 Carbon has a bigger downtube, specifically made for the new 520 Wh battery...
I honestly cannot understand Specialized. It made the Creo2 with the 320 Wh battery and could not keep the same for Vado SL 2?

I wonder how the Vado 2 SL rides without motor assist?

I like riding my Vado 5 SL without motor assist so much that I haven't been tempted to use the motor!

Then when you get to 45lbs+, wouldn't it be better to get a full power ebike withmore power, bigger battery, and just use a low power mode?
Full size Vado is 58 lbs (with battery?) 45 lbs is already super heavy and unwieldy for stairs given the awkward form factor of a bike.
Full size would be about 13-18 lbs more, but with a 50, 75, or 90 nm motor versus a 50 in the SL. SL looks so cool though..
I loved my betamax...it was always better than my later VHS lol.

I've said it before..if I had one complaint..it would be motor noise from my 1.1 motor. It isn't a deal breaker type problem....it's just me being nit-picky.

I'll leave it to the overlords at Spesh who decided to make a bike with "super light" in its name title into a 'sort of light-ish but nearly heavy' ebike at its latest iteration.
Seems to me that the engineering department forgot to run this one by the sales/marketing people.
IMO the carbon fiber amplifies the noise of the 1.2 motor. I think it’s louder/more present in a carbon bike than a 1.1 in the aluminum bikes.

This is the bike I've been waiting for, updated Vado w/ SL 1.2 motor.

Ain't no way in hell I'm buying, though. It's become a pig.

I'll continue riding my steel Dr. Dew and regular Vado. O well.
Double checked, it is the LTD that weighs the same as our current bikes at $8000, the $6000 SL 6.0 weighs almost 2.5lb more at $6000 than my 5.0.

As others have said, it also has chunkier heavy e'bike looks.

I wonder how the Vado 2 SL rides without motor assist?

I like riding my Vado 5 SL without motor assist so much that I haven't been tempted to use the motor!
You should have bought a Sirrus X 4.0 at less than half the price and 10lbs lighter than the non eq SL 5.0.

IMO the carbon fiber amplifies the noise of the 1.2 motor. I think it’s louder/more present in a carbon bike than a 1.1 in the aluminum bikes.
Oh that is interesting. Now that I ride with my Shokz bone conduction headphones....motor noise is not much of an issue for me....even if motor noise does remain.

For me to upgrade my 4.0 SL....I would need to have lighter weight, a more compliant (less rigid) frame, and a quieter motor. That is all.

This new offering potentially provides only 1 of my three needs.

My friend who also owns a Vado SL said:

1728575916480.png

'Two Range Extenders (+4.4 lbs) when needed, or the net weight when needed' :)

He is a big fan of the tech (and likes CF) but he will buy a good e-MTB as his next e-bike. He said he liked the looks and the specs of SL 2 but not at that high price.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what or if they do for an aluminum version of the Vado SL 2. In the meantime, the Creo SL 2 E5 is will be very easy to convert to a flat bar because of the SRAM components. Bars, brake levers, shifter and a control switch. A few more parts to add the wired lights.

It will be interesting to see what or if they do for an aluminum version of the Vado SL 2. In the meantime, the Creo SL 2 E5 is will be very easy to convert to a flat bar because of the SRAM components. Bars, brake levers, shifter and a control switch. A few more parts to add the wired lights.
Problem is with added power comes faster battery drain.

kinda pricey,
I would add a RE to my SL first, before buying SL2 for that price tag i guess they had to make it with Carbon fiber or the weight would be a lot higher, it looks like it was maid for gravel ridding more than comutting.

There is no question to me that I could use the extra power. I often ride with my daughter who is a "16-18mph" rider. I find myself having to use Turbo mode to be able to stay with her on long gradual uphills where she can maintain a faster pace than I can in Sport mode. Also, like many, I use Turbo for steep ascents.

I think that I would be willing to pay the extra 2-3 lbs in bike weight for the Vado SL 2 6.0 EQ, but NOT at $6,500. I like the specs on the 1.2 motor. The 10-51T rear cluster with my current 46T Wolf Tooth chainring would be just the right gearing for me. I like the idea of carrying 820Wh of combined battery for extended range.

The 10-51T rear cluster with my current 46T Wolf Tooth chainring would be just the right gearing for me. I like the idea of carrying 820Wh of combined battery for extended range.
My current gearing for Vado SL 1st Gen is Shimano 11-51T M5100 cassette and derailleur (11 speed). The 46T chainring could be technically installed there (I use a 42T).
Now, the 4 Range Extenders I own cost me US$1,700 at the prices I bought them, giving me the nominal combined battery of 960 Wh and weighing 8.8 lbs if I need take all of them on the ride (I seldom do).
The actual price of my Vado SL 4.0 EQ was US$4,000 in June 2021.

Just to compare: Vado SL 2 Carbon 6.0 EQ has the 44T chainring, 10-51T cassette (12 speed), and 520 Wh onboard for US$6,500

Last edited:
Back