Communication options manufacturers

CCG

Region
USA
Looking to purchase some communications equipment that would allow two of us to communicate while riding. Can you recommend any products and manufactures that I should investigate. Ability to communicate with more than two people would be desirable but not absolutely necessary.

I am not sure if these two brands cross over to bicycle helmets but they are popular in the motorcycle world: Sena and Cardo.

Sena makes communication bicycle helmets. The downside of these is they are heavy.

A very good, durable and well ventilated cycling helmet can weigh some 170-300 g. Sena helmet is over 400 g.

Last edited:
If you already have a lid, the Sena Pi could be considered a viable option as a basic lightweight comm system. My wife and I use them and they work adequately enough on short to med distance rides but we’ve also had two replaced on warranty due to battery life concerns. Just be forewarned that range is only 400 meters and talk time on a full charge can be somewhat sketchy. No way of knowing whether or not they've made any upgrades or improvements since we've been using them.

My wife and I have Sena R1s (not the evos). Well made and comfortable and the ability to chat the entire ride without having to be right next to each other is amazing. Range is pretty far, 1/4 mile or so. Aside from the ebike itself, probably her favorite cycling purchase ever.

Only note is they run small, I've worn a medium helmet from every brand my entire cycling career but needed a large in the Sena.

If you already have a lid, the Sena Pi could be considered a viable option as a basic lightweight comm system. My wife and I use them and they work adequately enough on short to med distance rides but we’ve also had two replaced on warranty due to battery life concerns. Just be forewarned that range is only 400 meters and talk time on a full charge can be somewhat sketchy. No way of knowing whether or not they've made any upgrades or improvements since we've been using them.
I will contact Sena and ask about battery life and will let you know if they have improved them.

My wife and I have Sena R1s (not the evos). Well made and comfortable and the ability to chat the entire ride without having to be right next to each other is amazing. Range is pretty far, 1/4 mile or so. Aside from the ebike itself, probably her favorite cycling purchase ever.

Only note is they run small, I've worn a medium helmet from every brand my entire cycling career but needed a large in the Sena.
Thanks, what do you think about their weight? How long are your typical rides? Have you experienced any issues with battery life like reported on the Pi?

Thanks, what do you think about their weight? How long are your typical rides? Have you experienced any issues with battery life like reported on the Pi?

Weight has never really been noticeable. Sure, a bit heavier than a lightweight road helmet (which is what I use when I ride by myself) but nothing that has ever bothered either of us.

No issues with battery life but generally my wife doesn't do super long rides. Couple hours tops.

Back