Safe to use?

Nvreloader

Region
USA
I have 4 - 48v -17.5v battery's, that fit the Wart Hog bike.

I need one more battery to make sure, I'll have enough power for the pending TPT ride, with the new Jugg 4 - 52v -17.5a bike .

Will it be safe or OK to use a 48v - 17.5 battery on a bike that uses a 52v - 17.5a system, and NOT hurt either the bike or battery's?

I can use/make a 4 pin Hailong end for the WH 48v - 17.5a battery, to fit the detachable pigtail using XT60/90 plugs to fit the new Jugg 4 bike's OEM optional connection plug spot.

Your thoughts and suggestions......

Last edited:
I would not use a 48v battery on a 52v bike. Even though it’ll “work”, it won’t be a good experience. Say the 52v bike has a Low Voltage Cutoff of 47v, you’ll hit the LVC sooner with a 48v battery. You may get LVC errors on the display and interrupt your ride.

What Slaphappy said is true. You've got a BMS in the battery I presume, but the LVC in the controller is programmed for a 52V battery and will cut off your 48V Battery sooner than normal. If you are able to program your motor controller you may be able to adjust that. a 48V battery will not "hurt" anything, but it may not perform well.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys
When I bought this bike in 1/24,
I also got the extended battery option (for free), which adds a 52v- 17.0ha battery to the internal battery, of the 17.5ha (internal) battery, for a total of 34.5ha's.
This extended battery attach's to a plug in spot on the seat post.

I have these 3 options when using these 2 OEM battery's,
1. I can use just the internal battery only,
2. Add the optional battery via a battery switch, (when plugged in),
3. Remove the internal battery and run on the extended battery only,

At this time, I have logged 81.6miles, using both battery's and have a few ah's left?, I haven't found the battery cut off points, so far.

What I wanted to do was, make another 17.5a extended battery out of the (WH battery) and use it via switching to this WH battery,
as a last resort, backup battery to get back to the pickup, if needed.
Your thoughts or suggestions...

If you can make the additional cable, to plug your battery into the port it will work fine. You probably wont get all of the juice out of the 48V battery due to LVC limit in the controller. You should get a lot more range. Running 48V won't have a damaging effect on your system. Your 52V battery eventually becomes a 48V battery after you run it down from 58V to 48V. Your LVC on the 52V battery is prbably set to 43-44V. A 48V battery LVC is usally 39V. So you will probaly lose 4 volts, about 26% of your low end juice.

Just to be clear, you will not be running the 48V battery concurrently with the other 52V battery, right?

Tom
At this time, (until I finish the first test, and know the results), I'll run the 48v 17.5a battery until it hits the LV level, then pull it and install both the 58v battery's (36.5ah total) to finish up the trip, using them.

From my battery charge rate list, the 48v - 17.5ah (54.3v = max charge level) battery will be approximately at the 73% level of the 52v = 58.3v max charge of the battery's level.

I know from previous use, when using the WH bike, the LV level of my 48v -17.5a battery's is 42.4v = 22 % charge left in that battery.

I'll pull that battery then and change over. (I watch my voltage levels real close when riding).
I already have all the required parts (except the plugs) to built the 3' extension for the WH battery, the only question I have, is which XT plugs to use, the XT60 or 90 models?

Your thoughts or suggestions...
Thanks Don

I'll pull that battery then and change over. (I watch my voltage levels real close when riding).
I already have all the required parts (except the plugs) to built the 3' extension for the WH battery, the only question I have, is which XT plugs to use, the XT60 or 90 models?
Sounds good. I am curently running two 17.5Ah batteries on my Luna Z1 w/Bafang Ultra. I used a battery balancer so I run with both of them on at the same time. Before the battery balancer, I used them as swap-outs. Sure feels goof to have all that juice.

Thanks Tom
Yes, I agree, this will be a new trip for me, down thru a rough & rugged canyon, right not there is more snow on the trail, due to the last weather we are going thru now.

If I was using the WH bike, I wouldn't worry about it, as I know it's limits and have a extra set of 2 battery's for it.
The Jugg 4 is a very nice bike and just about the same as the WH, I just haven't spent much time due to the bad weather we have been having, blowing winds etc.
Thanks for the help,
Don

Back