cleaning my eBike

Urbancowboy

Region
Canada
Last few days I been riding my eBike some 300+ Km. mostly on very dry Gravel Roads.
My Bike is now very dusty and I want to give it a decent cleaning.

I own my own Yard and plan to do this with regular Hand or Dish Soap and plenty of plain warm or cold Water. For environmental reasons I really don't want to use any Chemicals as we all know where they end up.

Anny suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks - UC

If it's just dust, would a good rinse be good enough?

Learned from member @m@Robertson to use a garden sprayer with plain water after turning off the bike. The fan spray setting applies plenty of water power with surgical precision. Just avoid the battey and other sensitive electricals.

Might need a wet rag to loosen stubborn stuff, but no real need to dry. Great results in over a year in my sandy, salty coastal setting with no bike rust to speak of. (Meanwhile, the tools in my garage are rusting all on their own from the salt air.)

Last edited:
I have eucalyptus extract it's green in color. I put in the pressure washing machine and it makes my bike clean.
Only negative is if your down tube accumulate asphalt scum, you have to use manual cleaning.
It's military grade I have to dilute it with water and I use it to wash my work clothes and my bike.

Attachments

• 20240427_114543.jpg
    20240427_114543.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 18
I own my own Yard and plan to do this with regular Hand or Dish Soap and plenty of plain warm or cold Water. For environmental reasons I really don't want to use any Chemicals as we all know where they end up.
I'm not sure about hand soap, but I would personally avoid dishwashing soap. Apparently, it contains chemicals that are not good for bicycles.

There are plenty of videos on how to wash bicycles ... check out what the TdF mechanics do ...

Personally, I use a car wash with a bucket and hose. It seems to do okay. The chain gets cleaned with a degreaser and a Park Tool Chain Cleaner.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I particular like the Garden Sprayer Idea, will try that one out for sure.
Well I was able to hose most of the Dust off and used a soft Brush as well, no Soap this time. The Chain I will do once I get back home to my Shop where I have my self made Chain cleaning setup which makes Chain cleaning and relubricating a breeze. Thanks UC

The Chain I will do once I get back home to my Shop where I have my self made Chain cleaning setup which makes Chain cleaning and relubricating a breeze.
We're gonna wanna know more about that setup.

Meanwhile, I also use the garden sprayer to rinse salt and sand off my drivetrain between lubes — which I don't do very often because it's anything but a breeze in our current house. (The price one pays for downsizing 60% to live 5 min from the beach by bike.)

Never dry afterwards. Works well.

Last edited:
I will show you DIYS Guys my little Chain cleaning contraption soon I can. BTW, is it possible to insert here a short Movie clip and how is that done.
Thanks - UC

Meanwhile, I also use the garden sprayer to rinse salt and sand off my drivetrain between lubes — which I don't do very often because it's anything but a breeze in our current house.

When you say garden sprayer, is this like a garden hose with a nozzle on the end? Aussie trying to learn American English :) Something like this?

861b17d5877c4c2082a80b5fac4e8572

"Anny suggestions are appreciated."
OK here you are, Sincerely/
1) It's "very dusty" so brush off when you are done riding with your complete soft bush collection and be done and finished, period.
2) Find something else to do in this nice weather, as you well know there are only a few months or even count the days up North
Pro Tip: Don't get it wet. Nothing good can result.
Trolls are posting to soak it down because it will kill your electric Bike. BTW

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I particular like the Garden Sprayer Idea, will try that one out for sure.
Well I was able to hose most of the Dust off and used a soft Brush as well, no Soap this time. The Chain I will do once I get back home to my Shop where I have my self made Chain cleaning setup which makes Chain cleaning and relubricating a breeze. Thanks UC
The urban cowboy's HOSER ? Everybody's Talkin' 'bout
O . T. G. I hope it still works
Good Luck to you rookie did you search herein this forum about eBike motor/system water damage ( EX: rain, washing, puddles )
eBike are not the muddy bicycles shown in the soapy 'How To' sales video attached above.

Last edited:
eBike are not the bicycles shown in the soapy sales video attached above.
Trolls and 'soapy sales videos." Oh my God, do not ride your eBike in the rain ... :rolleyes:

Well, guess what ... they survive water and rain (well, even my old Bafang does) ... just don't use a high-pressure sprayer [at least near electrics and bearings] just as you would not do with any other bicycle, and be sensible when cleaning around electrics etc.

Last edited:
I hand wash my cars with ceramic soaps, microfiber wash mitts or microfiber towels, and air blower to finish up. I use the same for my 5 ebikes. I clean the chain on the ebike with the Park Tool chain cleaner and Pedro's Oranj bike chain degreaser. I also use the scrub brush that comes with the Park Tool to clean the gears if I have any build-up. I use the garden hose and lightly spray to wet the tires only. I use the same soft bristle brush in a bucket with car ceramic soap for my car tires on my ebike fat tires. Lightly spray with garden hose to remove soap. I use a soapy damp microfiber towel to wipe any dust, dirt, or mud splatters off the frame, seat, seat post, handle bars, or Topeak MTX rack bag.

My secret weapon I love to use is my Xpower A-2 electric air blower ($40, Amazon). Lots of places for water to hide and sit with my ebikes (spokes, gears, F/R brakes, pedals, F/R suspension points, around screws, around electrical connections, etc...). I also use the air blower on the chain to make sure chain degreaser and water is reduced before adding lubricant. I also use the blower if caught out in the rain and I want to dry the ebike a bit before I get a chance to wash. Also helpful if my ebikes are just dusty and I want to do a quick dusting before riding.

Xpower.jpg

Last edited:
Trolls and 'soapy sales videos." Oh my God, do not ride your eBike in the rain ... :rolleyes:

Well, guess what ... they survive water and rain (well, even my old Bafang does) ... just don't use a high-pressure sprayer [at least near electrics and bearings] just as you would not do with any other bicycle, and be sensible when cleaning around electrics etc.
I concur.
Gentle rinse with flowing water not under pressure and a water saturated rag. Toothbrush and Simple Green if needed.
I do rinse tires, fenders and brake calipers under pressure carefully to not spray electrical, bearings or anything with a seal.

Just poking around Muc-Off's website ... apparently, they even have an eBike cleaning kit :oops: Talk about marketing and for fun here is an video on how to clean your ebike :)

Back