Motorcycle style ebike

bigcanoe

Hey all! I am looking to buy a motorcycle/moped style ebike. I am 250lbs, about 6'. I want something I can pull out of the garage on the weekend and do some riding on dirt/sand/gravel roads, and some 35MPH paved roads. I plan to ride less than 30 miles in a go. It would be cool if I could put some storage on it and take it fishing too. I am looking at this style bike for the longer seat. I ride motorcycles alot so it would be cool if it had similar ergos and a twist throttle. In fact, I want the ebike version of this Yahama TW200 (only slower, and not needing insurance and registration and yearly inspection):

1714077313777.png

My budget is around $2000. The Ride1Up Revv1 with full suspension looks pretty close. It would be cool if it had a rear rack I could put a milk crate on :)

Legally, anything that can throttle above 20mph is not an ebike and will have the same legal requirements as any motorcycle. How strictly its enforced will vary depending on your location. If you're happy with a 20mph max throttle speed you can look for a moto-style class 2, though I think they generally have thumb throttles and probably have the brakes setup bike style and not moto style . A few companies make scrambler/cafe racer style bikes (Super 73, Ariel Rider, Ride1up, etc). A moped-esque bike like the Juiced Scorpion might work better but it looks less moto. I don't think the average quality of these sorts of bikes are particularly good, but its not a style of bike I know much about. Do your research on whatever you're looking into.

The Sur-Ron X or Talaria Sting are kinda the standard for light duty e-motos. Just note that they aren't legally ebikes. They skirted under the radar for a while but are definitely seeing more police attention because they became the ride of choice for douchebags idiots. YMMV.

Yea, slow is ok with me but I do want some torque so I can climb some decent hills. The Juiced Scorpion looks cool too, I like that style as well. Thanks!

Back