$10,000.00?

leehop71

Region
USA
City
Cape Coral
I belong to another thread and someone posted a concern with a flaw on a new e-bike they purchased.

The bike cost the purchaser $10,000.00!!!

I know everyone’s budget is different but even if I were in a position where money was no object, I don’t see myself spending anywhere CLOSE to 5 figures for an electric bike!!

Yes, yes, I know all the to each his own sentiments but $10,000.00 for an electric bicycle?!?!?

Yes, yes, I know all the to each his own sentiments but $10,000.00 for an electric bicycle?!?!?
Why not? People are spending $120k for sedan, while there are perfectly fine alternative for $60k - why won't they do this for ebike. First of all $10k is much more realistic money to get and spend, than $120k, and 2nd - lots of such buyers don't have car (myself including) and I don't have car-related expenses in my budget. Why can't I get top of the line ebike then, especially knowing I am going to use it a lot on daily basis and need performing and reliable machine?

My C380+ was almost $5k off LBS and ended up being around $8-9k after all upgrades - why not?

Last edited:
ava1ar, opinions and preferences are like elbows, everyone has at least one.

Like I said, my preference/opinion is, even if money were no object, I’d never spend 5 figures on an E-bike.

As far as vehicles, I would probably get a vehicle in the top trim but not for 6 figures.

My Denago City 1 with fenders and my Lectric XP3 with the passenger accessory so my grand kids can ride with me, suit me just fine! They’re BOTH paid for at $1100.00 and $1600.00 including accessories.

Our vehicle is a 2024 Sonata SEL MSRP at $29,000.00 also suits us just fine and we’re both retired with decent health and a solid financial foundation, thanks to blessings from The Triune God!

Again, opinions/preferences are like elbows!😉

ava1ar, opinions and preferences are like elbows, everyone has at least one.

Like I said, my preference/opinion is, even if money were no object, I’d never spend 5 figures on an E-bike.

As far as vehicles, I would probably get a vehicle in the top trim but not for 6 figures.

My Denago City 1 with fenders and my Lectric XP3 with the passenger accessory so my grand kids can ride with me, suit me just fine! They’re BOTH paid for at $1100.00 and $1600.00 including accessories.

Our vehicle is a 2024 Sonata SEL MSRP at $29,000.00 also suits us just fine and we’re both retired with decent health and a solid financial foundation, thanks to blessings from The Triune God!

Again, opinions/preferences are like elbows!😉
Totally agree about everything you said, I think your 2nd post answers the question in yours 1st one ;)

One question to you - did you ever try riding the top-level mid-drive ebike with torque sensor, like Specialized or Gazelle or even R&M (which is actually cost $10k or more)? There is a significant difference with the cadence-based hub drive ebikes your have in a way how it feels and reacts on your actions while riding. I can't explain it more - you need to try to feel the difference and this is what people are paying for. In fact, you don't need $10k to get it - they are bikes in $4-5k range to provide it. You are paying extra for better parts, better accessories like light and display, longer warranty with support from local LBS and brand name of course :)

Last edited:
You know, you make a point that is very intriguing.

Down here in SW FL there are no hills but wind. Both my bikes cut right through the wind, HOWEVER, when I’m on a trip to the store if I go above PAS 3, I ghost pedal, pointlessly.

The local BS told me the PAS 4 and 5 speeds were typically meant for hills!🥴

I’ve heard that the torque setup would probably help with that.

Obviously, the torque/mid drive is probably the best scenario but I also saw a video where Eli, from Lectric, said that their new express bike has the torque and it does a much better job at helping eliminate ghost pedaling on flat surfaces.

They don’t come out until June so I’m going to keep my eye on the reviews to see how TRUE that is.

If so I could get the $999.00 level and add the $100 fender package . . . . . HOWEVER, I’d have to sell my Denago first.

Not sure how easy that would be selling locally?🤔

especially if you really want to ride a lot. the feel is so much better. Plus Hope many of those low end bikes would I need to cover the 40,000 or so miles I have ridden on e bikes in 4 years?

especially if you really want to ride a lot. the feel is so much better. Plus Hope many of those low end bikes would I need to cover the 40,000 or so miles I have ridden on e bikes in 4 years?
I only average about 20 miles a week!

I ride M-F, a 5 mile 20 minute route typically for cardio being 70.

Even my trips to the store are about the same distance. So, for me, that would be overkill . . . for ME, mind you!😉

I paid five figures for my Creo. It was worth it to me for a bike that weighs ~28 lbs., has a wireless derailleur that shifts perfectly every time, and has a great adjustable shock-absorbing system.

BTW, ghost-pedaling doesn’t happen on the Creo. Maybe later in life (or sooner, if the arthritic knees complain too much), I’ll wish it did ghost-pedal, or maybe even had an throttle, and I’ll feel a need to replace it. In the meantime, I’ll enjoy what I have, with zero regrets about the cost.

Last edited:
That’s what it’s all about, having the setup you are content with.

In all honesty, the ghost pedaling is trivial. The ONLY time going above PAS 3 is on my store trips.

Even WITH PAS 3 and gear 7, I still get 22.3mph and that’s fast enough, for me!😉

Even my trips to the store are about the same distance. So, for me, that would be overkill . . . for ME, mind you!😉

I ride too much two years ago I averaged 230 miles a week and maxed 920 miles in a month. But I have found I am slowing down because it was all I did for exercise. But I need bikes that can handle a lot of miles. I have over 40,000 miles in 4 years on my e bikes.

My first ebike was an Aventon level $2000 fully loaded even with lights and racks and paniers. Didn't like it and ended up giving it to my niece. 2nd ebike is an emtb full suspension Bulls 45 Evo all mountain. $7000 + including personal up grades such as monkeylink head lights with low/hi beam. VP pedals, thud buster seat post (realized not needed on FS emtb) Mucky Nutz fenders, Brooke's grips etc. I'm happier than the guy named Happy, riding one of them 73 ebikes which is popular with older folks here.
I have also a Ridiculous Emtb with bafang m620 52v. Full Suspension too with fox components and lots of personal upgrades. I find it more practical for my everyday ride. Thus the Bulls only gets taken out once a week at the most.
I'm still goonie goo goo on some new Emtbs available but I'm okay with the two I have.
I rarely drive nowadays and downgraded my insurance to no fault.
Yeah so $10k for ebike is not bad.

I can certainly see why people would think $10,000 is a lot for a ebike, There are many analog bikes that can exceed that price range let alone an e-bike. As in any sport or past time, equipment can get quite expensive. My first ebike was about $1,200. My recent purchase retailed at $8,600. The quality and build fits my needs and and expectations so the price doesn't seem astronomical.

There's a lot of sticker shock with people entering the bike market that haven't kept up with prices since years past. A lot of adults entering the e-bike market want to believe that a $1,200 bike would be a quality build since they never paid more than $500.00 for a bike in the past. We see this all the time on the forum when new folks join and want to get a great bike for under $2,000. With that being said, there's a lot of bikes in the low range that can meet the needs of a lot of riders. If your riding takes you to a level that demands a quality build, It is worth spendng the money.

I went to Las Vegas and had an $80 bowl of ramen, at Momofuku. It had 5oz of black truffle and was the best ramen that I've ever had. Sometimes it's nice to splurge, but you got to have limits. Spend money on what you love. I have another friend, who is a beast road cycler, he has multiple bikes. Cube, Ribble, $pecialized. He has cycling for about 40 years now.

I ride too much two years ago I averaged 230 miles a week and maxed 920 miles in a month. But I have found I am slowing down because it was all I did for exercise. But I need bikes that can handle a lot of miles. I have over 40,000 miles in 4 years on my e bikes.
Bike riding is great exercise, but it doesn’t build much muscle.

About 18 months ago, a doctor recommended resistance training (weight lifting) to alleviate arthritis pain (mostly in the knees), so I started working out with a trainer 4x per week, with one day focusing solely on legs, and a bit of light leg work on one other day. Although I still feel some joint pain, it’s not as bad, and I’ve found the effort worthwhile. The downside is I have less time to ride, but I don’t think I’d have been able to continue at all without the resistance training.

I’m 70 years of age, and hoping that if I keep lifting, hiking, and riding, I’ll be functional for many more years. Watching my two brothers in their mid-70’s, one fully disabled by strokes and the other riddled with cancer (both likely caused by lifestyle choices), is a big motivator. Hopefully I can outrun that crap for a while longer!

Last edited:
Riding is motivation for me each day during work week, 15-20 miles. 20lb dumbells 3 sets of 9-13 repetitions squat shoulder shrug and shoulder press 2-3 times a week Push ups in the morning when I feel like it.
59 years old.
Kaiser Clinic has been asking me to send stool sample since I turned 50yo. Two years ago I finally sent it. Because they were relentless. Kept asking "Where's the s*it?"
I was relieved that no colon cancer issues was detected

It's worth it because the companies that make these products determine the price and there are few alternatives in the e-bike world. Gotta pay to play. Bikes bring a lot of joy, so we do.

At the same time it is ridiculous that bikes cost $10k+. Especially when some at that level have issues that the manufacturers call "normal" and decline to repair.

Margins must be fantastic.

I paid five figures for my Creo. It was worth it to me for a bike that weighs ~28 lbs., has a wireless derailleur that shifts perfectly every time, and has a great adjustable shock-absorbing system.

BTW, ghost-pedaling doesn’t happen on the Creo. Maybe later in life (or sooner, if the arthritic knees complain too much), I’ll wish it did ghost-pedal, or maybe even had an throttle, and I’ll feel a need to replace it. In the meantime, I’ll enjoy what I have, with zero regrets about the cost.
I have a future shock bike too, and that was a primary selling point. I've read a ton of reviews since and many (if not most) prefer the redshift suspension stem and seat post to the future shock and STR seat suspension. Just realized recently that the STR is incompatible with rear racks. Glad I didn't buy the STR Diverge, though it being ugly was enough to sway me away!

I will never buy a specialized ebike.
Mediocre and overpriced. I had my Chinese/Canadian made ebike to smoke Specialized Emtbs and Vados in my range. You have to realize not everybody on a $12K Specialized ebike is a professional rider. These riders have money but lack the skills and experience to ride it. I run circles around them.
I don’t know about the Levo (though it seems to be well loved), but their other bikes like the Vado are fantastic. Easily class leading.

Vado undercuts Gazelle and R&M while having a better motor and better software. Comfort-wise the Creo 2 was miles better than any other SL bike I’ve ridden.

Back