How to adjust handlebar angle on Gazelle Ultimate with Bosch Smart System?

Malthus

Region
USA
I am the owner of a new 2024 Gazelle Ultimate C380 with Bosch Smart System. I am trying to figure out how to adjust the angle of the handlebars and I am stumped.

The Gazelle user manual that came with the bike appears to be years out of date, and does not mention any current e-bikes models in its instructions on handlebar adjustment.

On YouTube I found a short video by Gary Fujioka Sr. on How to adjust your Gazelle Ultimate e-bike handlebars, but it is for the previous generation without Bosch Smart System. In the video, he loosens two nuts just a little and the handlebars rotate to a different angle. The current generation does not have a 4 mm hex nut under the handlebars so a redesign has taken place in the latest version of this e-bike.
YouTube link

On my Ultimate e-bike there is a 5 mm hex nut on the right side of the handlebars near the angle scale
1000004649.jpg

There is another 5 mm hex nut on top of the center of the handlebars covered by a protective rubber cap (removed in the photo below):

1000004650.jpg

I have loosened both these hex nuts to the point that they almost come completely unscrewed, yet the angle of the handlebars will not move in either direction.

Can anyone tell me how to make this simple adjustment? I would like to try the handlebars raked forward to 20° instead of 30°.

I tried calling Gazelle USA about this at (800) 838-5388 and for the customer service/rider menu option, there is an announcement: "No-one is available to take your call."

Last edited:
On my Ultimate e-bike there is a 5 mm hex nut on the right side of the handlebars near the angle scale
I struggled with that on my wife's a few years ago. As I recall, that fastener needs to be loosened quite a bit, then the side pieces will pop out a bit to let splines release so angle can be changed. Careful not to take fastener completely out; as I recall, the side pieces are spring loaded pushing out and I had a heck of a time putting it back together.

Loosen fastener, try wiggling bar up and down to loosen, adjust, retighten. (I think)

My adjustable stem is similar but not identical to yours. Mine has another 5 mm hex bolt on the left, opposite the one with the angle scale, and a third on the underside of upper arm. I have to loosen all 3 to adjust the angle.

I managed to get through to Gazelle customer service. Vito there sent me the attached diagram. He told me to remove the hex bolt and then jiggle the handlebars until they come loose just as Roamers suggested. So far this has not worked for me since the tolerances are so tight, but I'm posting this information here in case anyone else wants to know how to do it.

Attachments

• Promax Ahead Handle Adjustable Stem User Guide.pdf
    670 KB · Views: 42
My adjustable stem is similar but not identical to yours. Mine has another 5 mm hex bolt on the left, opposite the one with the angle scale, and a third on the underside of upper arm. I have to loosen all 3 to adjust the angle.
It seems that every Gazelle model has a different design in this area! On the 2023 Gazelle Ultimate there is only one adjustment bolt for handlebar angle adjustment per the diagram in my subsequent post.

Thanks for your input.

I managed to get through to Gazelle customer service. Vito there sent me the attached diagram. He told me to remove the hex bolt and then jiggle the handlebars until they come loose just as Roamers suggested. So far this has not worked for me since the tolerances are so tight, but I'm posting this information here in case anyone else wants to know how to do it.
Now that I see the blow up, loosen the bolt, but I wouldn't remove it completely. Once it's loosened 3 or 4 turns, give the head some lite tap-taps until the other side pops loose. Be patient; it becomes movable w/o warning all at once. That's when after loosening the bolt completely, I was looking for parts under things in the garage.

Added: see "Operation" step 2

I am the owner of a new 2024 Gazelle Ultimate C380 with Bosch Smart System. I am trying to figure out how to adjust the angle of the handlebars and I am stumped.

The Gazelle user manual that came with the bike appears to be years out of date, and does not mention any current e-bikes models in its instructions on handlebar adjustment.

On YouTube I found a short video by Gary Fujioka Sr. on How to adjust your Gazelle Ultimate e-bike handlebars, but it is for the previous generation without Bosch Smart System. In the video, he loosens two nuts just a little and the handlebars rotate to a different angle. The current generation does not have a 4 mm hex nut under the handlebars so a redesign has taken place in the latest version of this e-bike.
YouTube link

View attachment 174254
There is another 5 mm hex nut on top of the center of the handlebars covered by a protective rubber cap (removed in the photo below):

View attachment 174255

I have loosened both these hex nuts to the point that they almost come completely unscrewed, yet the angle of the handlebars will not move in either direction.

Can anyone tell me how to make this simple adjustment? I would like to try the handlebars raked forward to 20° instead of 30°.
So, do you mean that you do not want to bring the bars closer or farther from you, you want to rotate the bar within the stem to either lift or lower the angle of the grips and shifters/brakes?

I wanted to make the handlebars further away by rotating from 30° as shown in the top photo to ~20° or less. That would move my hand position further forward and move me into a position that I am more used to on my old bicycle.

I gave up on this idea after a few unsuccessful attempts. Even removing the fastening hex bolt entirely and then using a hammer and thin metal bar inserted into the hole where the hex bolt was failed to pry the mechanism apart.

I realized eventually that the 70°/71° geometry of the Gazelle Ultimate frame is totally different from my previous non-electric bike, and is not really conducive to such a forward leaning position. So as an old person who is no longer riding racing bikes, I have to come to terms with the upright riding position and embrace it. The more I ride this e-bike, the more I like the setup.

My thanks to all who made very helpful suggestions to try to fix this.

Back