Specialized Vado 4 or Ride1Up Prodigy V2

BINY

Region
USA
Hello EBR!
Hoping the experts in this forum can help break my decision impasse.

I was all set on getting the Ride1Up Prodigy V2 with the belt drive/Enviolo hub. The IGH is my preferred set up, so I wasn't really considering any bikes with derailleurs. But now I find myself seriously questioning if the Specialized Vado 4 sale is too good to pass up.

Both bikes are similarly priced. So the question is whether the Specialized experience (engineering, brand, etc) outweighs the benefits of the belt drive/Enviolo hub. There is also a Specialized store nearby. The specs on the Ride1Up seem good, and reviews seem positive, but it is still a DTC brand and I can't test ride the bike.

Background:
Currently ride a Vanmoof S3. I love this bike and hope to keep it for years to come, but with 4k plus miles and its serviceable future in limbo, I'm looking for a second ebike to take some of the load off the S3. I generally much prefer biking to driving (weather permitting), so almost all non commute trips and errands around town are by bike unless longer distance or I have passengers. I have a 15 mile roundtrip commute to work, and currently bike that 1 to 2 days per week. I'm thinking with a class 3 ebike, I could increase bike commuting to 2 or 3 days per week. I have owned several bikes now with an IGH, and I'm a big fan of that setup for city biking.

Other bikes considered (almost all more expensive):
Priority Current - competitive on price, but prefer the look/specs of the Prodigy V2
Gazelle Ultimate C380+ - perfect accept for price
Gazelle Eclipse C380+ - even more expensive than the Ultimate
Specialized Vado 3.0 IGH - more expensive and not sure class 3 speeds are feasible with the IGH
Specialized Vado 5.0 IGH - even more expensive and not crazy about the AutomatiQ
Serial 1 RUSH/CTY SPEED - more expensive and not crazy about the AutomatiQ

I can't offer direct comparison but can likely offer some information:

(1) I have been riding a Vado SL 4.0 for the last year. While shopping for a bike for someone else I came upon the current Vado 4.0 sale 10 days ago and I couldn't resist and impulsively purchased one. I only have 60 miles on it thus far but man it is a comfortable, powerful, Cadillac of a bicycle. Super fun. I wasn't planning on the Vado 4.0 (or any new bike for that matter) but at $2750....count me in! It now is outfitted with panniers, a quadlock, and ergon grips....so comfortable and powerful compared to my Vado SL.
(2) IMO the current sale price on the Vado 4.0 is a "steal me" price on a great bike. It is hard to match the quality, brand, features, equipment, power, battery for $2750. Who knows what will happen with the bike market this summer....but it is hard for me to imagine that the Vado 4.0 will go on sale for < $2750 again.
(3) One of my riding buddies has had a Van Moof S3 for a long time. When Van Moof declared bankruptcy my friend immediately decided that he needed another bike in the garage just in case his S3 failed him (which it occasionally did). He asked me to find the bike 'for him' and I immediately directed him to the Vado 5.0 IGH which he promptly purchased on sale for $4K. Coming from the Moof S3 he absolutely LOVES his Vado 5.0 IGH....loves loves loves it. He rides his 5.0 IGH everywhere and hasn't had a problem....and if he did need something sorted....the Specialized dealer is about 5 blocks away (important differentiation from the Moof).
(3a) I have ridden his S3 and imo his Vado 5.0 and my Vado 4.0 are superior in every single way possible. Not to mention the Vado will be FAR more comfortable when compared to the S3...at least for me.

If you are a big fan on the Enviolo hub (IGH) and do not wish to maintain your derailleur and chain.....then you have answered your own question....and you must purchase a bike with IGH. I could not possibly maintain an igh system and as a do-it-yourselfer type vastly prefer a derailleur.
I personally prefer the manual control of the more standard derailleur system...and the full power Vado 4.0 is FAR more forgiving when compared to my Vado SL (by this I mean that the SL requires a lot of shifting up/down to find the sweet spot at any given time while the full power Vado 4.0 more effortlessly powers you so long as you are within 2-3 gears of the ideal gear thus reducing the frequency of shifting).

If you can deal with having a derailleur and money is an object look no further than the Vado 4.0. It seems, however, that you have your heart set on IGH and if so....shifting will be unpleasant for you. For me I would not want the Ride1Up with the Enviolo hub....for many reasons....not the least of which is that you will be unable to get local service on that bike and you are going to require service sooner or later. Right?

Last edited:
Hello EBR!
Hoping the experts in this forum can help break my decision impasse.

I was all set on getting the Ride1Up Prodigy V2 with the belt drive/Enviolo hub. The IGH is my preferred set up, so I wasn't really considering any bikes with derailleurs. But now I find myself seriously questioning if the Specialized Vado 4 sale is too good to pass up.

Both bikes are similarly priced. So the question is whether the Specialized experience (engineering, brand, etc) outweighs the benefits of the belt drive/Enviolo hub. There is also a Specialized store nearby. The specs on the Ride1Up seem good, and reviews seem positive, but it is still a DTC brand and I can't test ride the bike.

Background:
Currently ride a Vanmoof S3. I love this bike and hope to keep it for years to come, but with 4k plus miles and its serviceable future in limbo, I'm looking for a second ebike to take some of the load off the S3. I generally much prefer biking to driving (weather permitting), so almost all non commute trips and errands around town are by bike unless longer distance or I have passengers. I have a 15 mile roundtrip commute to work, and currently bike that 1 to 2 days per week. I'm thinking with a class 3 ebike, I could increase bike commuting to 2 or 3 days per week. I have owned several bikes now with an IGH, and I'm a big fan of that setup for city biking.

Other bikes considered (almost all more expensive):
Priority Current - competitive on price, but prefer the look/specs of the Prodigy V2
Gazelle Ultimate C380+ - perfect accept for price
Gazelle Eclipse C380+ - even more expensive than the Ultimate
Specialized Vado 3.0 IGH - more expensive and not sure class 3 speeds are feasible with the IGH
Specialized Vado 5.0 IGH - even more expensive and not crazy about the AutomatiQ
Serial 1 RUSH/CTY SPEED - more expensive and not crazy about the AutomatiQ
I own both bikes, and a Trek 8s. Minus the current sale price with the Vado 4, I would choose the Prodigy over both the Trek 8s and the Vado 4.....but, since the Vado 4 is roughly $2750, it is the clear winner...and twice on Sundays. The Brose motor is quiet and smooth on both the Prodigy and Vado. Although the Vado only has 70nm it is still very fast. The 710 watt battery is what makes the Vado 4 the choice for me if I could only have one bike. Plus you would have the Specialized LBS support, which you don't receive with Ride1Up. Hope this helps.

I bought another Ride1Up bike. I've had very good customer support in the past. I like the value that DTC offers. I purchased Prodigy V2 XR. The lower efficiency factor of IGH persuaded me to go traditional derailleur route. The simplicity of chain/cassette matters to me. I also liked the cost of spare battery of only $400 compared to Vado $1000. I need spare because of the long rides exceeding 50 miles I often ride.

I bought another Ride1Up bike. I've had very good customer support in the past. I like the value that DTC offers. I purchased Prodigy V2 XR. The lower efficiency factor of IGH persuaded me to go traditional derailleur route. The simplicity of chain/cassette matters to me. I also liked the cost of spare battery of only $400 compared to Vado $1000. I need spare because of the long rides exceeding 50 miles I often ride.
Yup. I sleep with my Vado battery and place it on a silk pillow each night while I sing sweet lullaby's to it.

I do like my Prodigy V2 XR (chain) a lot. I purchased it after reviewing some YouTube videos that claimed 73 miles in Tour mode, which is roughly 95% of the total (380%). This was truly a great accomplishment for a 500w battery, as my former Giant Fastroad EX Pro could cover 50 miles at 100% support with a similar 500w battery
Prodigy V2 no fenders.jpg
. I find myself getting a little over 50 miles in Tour mode, which is fine, but I too like to take rides longer than 50 miles and hate range anxiety. You are correct, the Prodigy V2 offers a second battery for just $400 bucks, but since I removed my fenders, I will probably have to find a backpack if I want to travel with a second battery on really long rides. So far, if I ride in BOOST mode, I can clock a tick over 20 miles, not bad considering. The Vado 4 set at 35/35 (Eco) which is equivalent to 112% of total support (320% max), and I can ride all day in that mode, and easily eclipse 60 miles, arriving home with more than 32% of battery remaining. On one trip last fall, I rode for 40 miles and arrived at my home with 58% battery left...impressive for the 710w battery that Specialized has tuned perfectly.

Take a look at the Evelo Omega. To me, it's a better version of the Priority Current with great customer service & LONG warranty (4 yr, 20,000 miles).

Back