Mid-Drive - Front Tire Wear More than Rear Tire Wear?

mail_e36

Friends,

I ride a heavy 85 pound mid-drive ebike, and noticed that the front tire is seemingly wearing quicker than the rear tire.

Coming from a hub-drive ebike previously, which wore the rear tire much quicker than the front, I find this opposite scenario surprising.

Can someone please shed some light on this?

Thank you in advance.

Are you riding the both types of ebikes in the same environment, mileage, and riding style? I had to rotate my rear hub Radrover tires to even out the wear between the front and rear tires (extended tire life). Just added a +90lbs Himiway Cobra Pro mid-drive; but, not enough mileage to notice the tire wear yet.

All riding parameters are the same (route, riding style, etc.), although haven't looked at pressure recently.

To @teskow's comment about heavy use of front brake, I do use the front brake as a 'clutch' for the mid-drive engine, but hopefully not enough to actually engage the brake.

I'm starting to wonder if it's really just the road dirt/grime which the front wheel perhaps receives more of (unsure if this is a legit concept?) which makes it look more worn compared to the rear one.

I'm starting to wonder if it's really just the road dirt/grime which the front wheel perhaps receives more of (unsure if this is a legit concept?) which makes it look more worn compared to the rear one.
I've found the folks on this site to be extremely helpful to any new comer with questions. Then, along comes the above observation........

And this: "I do use the front brake as a 'clutch' for the mid-drive engine, but hopefully not enough to actually engage the brake"

Please elaborate about using the front brake lever as a clutch. As well as a pic of the dirt in the front tire tread that possibly fooled you into thinking of excessive front tire wear. I really could use a good laugh! :rolleyes:

Please elaborate about using the front brake lever as a clutch.

If he has brake cut-off switches, they will cut the motor when the brakes are applied.
But I think most mid-drives Don't have brake cut-off switches?

@mail_e36 check you brake levers to see if there are 2 cables coming from the lever.
Hydraulic line, and cut-off switch wire.

IMO the best reason to touch the front brake lever and cut the motor is to pass a larger gear with legs power only. Powerful mid motors are strong enough to destroy the mechanics and shifter line switches are not reliable .

Please elaborate about using the front brake lever as a clutch.

I do it all the time.
I can use either brake but the rear has more freeplay in the lever, so it's easier to only activate the switch.

I have cruise control on my e-bike. When I'm coming up to a stop, I'll pull either brake a bit to kill the motor, then apply both brakes to come to a stop.
When I release the brakes, the motor turns back on and returns me to my preset cruise control speed setting, at whatever power level I have chosen.

20240107_143218.jpg

Last edited:
Does the front wheel spin freely without any resistance, grinding sounds? Maybe the bearings are going?

Back