Bosch battery chemistry?

CyclingDan

Region
USA
Anybody know if it is LFP or NMC? Reason being the former doesn’t care being chages to 100% whereas the latter does. I try to store my bikes at 80% during the week but maybe I needn’t bother. Only indication I‘ve found is Bosch recommends long term storage at 60%. They are cylindrical cells which most often seem to be LFP.

Anybody know if it is LFP or NMC? Reason being the former doesn’t care being chages to 100% whereas the latter does. I try to store my bikes at 80% during the week but maybe I needn’t bother. Only indication I‘ve found is Bosch recommends long term storage at 60%. They are cylindrical cells which most often seem to be LFP.
with bosch for regular charging don't worry about it. they tend to have the longest lasting batteries. I have 4 batteries one has way over 14,000 miles another 10,000 and the two others not sure but I bet 5000 or more on them.

with bosch for regular charging don't worry about it. they tend to have the longest lasting batteries. I have 4 batteries one has way over 14,000 miles another 10,000 and the two others not sure but I bet 5000 or more on them.
well it has to do with capacity reduction, all Li ion batteries slowly lose capacity and I’m finding it all counts here

well it has to do with capacity reduction, all Li ion batteries slowly lose capacity and I’m finding it all counts here
yes but its not going to happen for awhile. bosch batteries tend to last many years. bosch recommends fully charging always unless your storing the battery.

Still, it would be nice to know if they are LFP. They are safer (less susceptible to runaway fires) than the more common lithium batteries.

All ebike batteries from manufacturers are, presently, NMC. LFP has much to recommend it (good for 3000 cycles to 80% state of charge and doesn't explode being a couple of big ones).

There's only one problem: LFP is less energy dense. So an LFP pack is bigger and heavier than an NMC pack. By quite a lot. That is a dealbreaker.

I absolutely love LFP for my home solar. My 2kwh portable solar generator also uses LFP, and the price I pay for that is it weighs like 70 pounds, which puts a question mark after the word 'portable'.

EDIT: You CAN find LFP ebike battery packs but they take some digging., Look for 'BTRPower' packs on Amazon and you will find them elsewhere as well. Apparently there have been issues with that seller claiming LFP cells and delivering NMC inside though.

I‘ve found is Bosch recommends long term storage at 60%. They are cylindrical cells which most often seem to be LFP.
60% is the common go-to recommendation for long term storage of Li-NMC. Also bear in mind up until recently all ebike batteries used 18650 cells, which are cylindrical. In recent years there has been a shift to 21700's which have finally become affordable and available in wholesale quantities to use in ebike packs, and those too are cylindrical. 18650's and 21700's pretty much make up all of the commercial ebike pack market.

Back