Spongy rear brakes

KnobbyGuy

Region
USA
Seems a bit strange, but both my Atlas and the wife's Omega have developed spongy rear brakes after 1000 miles. It's obvious that the rear pads are worn but not to an extreme level. Both bikes utilize the "Zoom HB875" hydraulic disk brakes. Do bicycle hydraulic brakes have a tendency to introduce air into the lines as the oil level drops in the tiny reservoirs? Anyone else experiencing this condition?

No need to do a full bleed.
Just do a top off of fluid thru the lever.

That's what I did, and it worked.

I watched a video where the guy stood his mountain bike on the back wheel and bounced the bike up and down to get all the bubbles to rise up to the reservoir.

My ebike weighs 70 pounds without the battery and tool kit, so that wasn't going to happen. 😂

I was worried that I had bubbles trapped in the arch of the brake line that wouldn't rise up to the reservoir,..

20240109_194616.jpg

So I removed the brake caliper and set it on the floor and raised the front end of my bike so that the brake line was sloping upwards.
Then I flicked the line and pumped the lever to get the bubbles to rise.

Yup.... daś how you do it!

I ended up breaking the threaded part off the bottom of the funnel and got mineral oil all over everything.

Daś not how you do it! 😂

PS,..
Be careful with the funnel.
They're pretty delicate.

Just an FYI,..
I was going to use regular mineral oil instead of buying the kit, (because I'm cheap. 😂) but I found out that regular mineral oil is WAY thicker than the treated stuff used for brakes.

Last edited:
I ended up breaking the threaded part off the bottom of the funnel and got mineral oil all over everything.

Daś not how you do it! 😂

PS,..
Be careful with the funnel.
They're pretty delicate.

Just an FYI,..
I was going to use regular mineral oil instead of buying the kit, (because I'm cheap. 😂) but I found out that regular mineral oil is WAY thicker than the treated stuff used for brakes.
Mine has a brass threaded adapter but yeah.. Be careful.
I was going to use Hawaiian Tropic Sun Tan Oil since it's mostly mineral oil and pretend I was @Rome 🤣

our tandems bake caliper is fun to bleed with such a long hose.
Easy... Just bleed while doing a wheelie

Mine has a brass threaded adapter but yeah.. Be careful.
I was going to use Hawaiian Tropic Sun Tan Oil since it's mostly mineral oil and pretend I was @Rome 🤣

Easy... Just bleed while doing a wheelie
I no joke you in Hawaii certain tanning oils and sunscreens are banned.
There are additives and chemicals that destroys corrals and reel fishes too. If you come here with your own sunscreens it will be confiscated at the airport and treated as if you were smuggling meth. You have to buy State approved sunscreens and tanning oils locally.
Back to subject, I have my brakes serviced at the dealership once a year and new friction material they will recommend new rotors if need.

Back to subject, I have my brakes serviced at the dealership once a year and new friction material they will recommend new rotors if need.

So you service your motor yourself but you take it in for brakes? 😂

Yeah it's under @100 buck for front and rear, no headache if it gets spongy I just send it back.
I don't service my Bafang. I bought a plug and play motor already lubed with red Mobil grease all I need to do is install with correct tourqe and make sure it is loktite.
Chains and cassette I remove and replace them myself and tune it myself.
Setting up tubeless is done at the shop . I had a very difficult time with Eddy Current tires. I perform my own sealant refresh with parks tool syringe.
In fact I did that past weekend when I pulled thorns off of it.

Back