DOST IS NOW IN RECEIVERSHIP

Hopefully, this isn't a harbinger of things to come.

There are more ebike makers out there than I can count. It isn't likely the market can sustain them all, especially when it begins to saturate.

Just another consideration when shopping for a new bike.

Another reason I didn't buy "new bikes" but instead converted two good bikes I already had, I did look at two as my son sometimes joins me, I set aside a few thousand then after three months of searching, reviews and looking into bikes had better ideas.

The parts I need if/when they go wrong can soooo easily be replaced, even 10-20 years from now due to so many "MILLIONS" of the motors/batteries being made and sold world wide I will still as will others be able to get replacements.

Buy a new all fitted, bike, good luck if 2 years from now a battery is available to fit the frame when it dies, let alone the other parts, bin and buy again LOL

Attachments

• Dsc_2342.jpg
    Dsc_2342.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1626.JPG
    IMG_1626.JPG
    418.7 KB · Views: 82
Another reason I didn't buy "new bikes" but instead converted two good bikes I already had, I did look at two as my son sometimes joins me, I set aside a few thousand then after three months of searching, reviews and looking into bikes had better ideas.

The parts I need if/when they go wrong can soooo easily be replaced, even 10-20 years from now due to so many "MILLIONS" of the motors/batteries being made and sold world wide I will still as will others be able to get replacements.

Buy a new all fitted, bike, good luck if 2 years from now a battery is available to fit the frame when it dies, let alone the other parts, bin and buy again LOL
Why reply if you obviously know nothing about Dōst Bikes. None of their parts other than the frame are proprietary and everything is easily replaced. They use Bafang Motors, Schwalbe Tires, KMC Chains, Gates Belts, Tektro Brakes, Shimano Derailleurs, Panasonic Batteries, Enviolo Hubs, etc.

Last edited:
Don’t think this will be the last, every time I read online about ebikes, there are price cuts all over. Seems like way too much supply and quickly dropping demand.
ya the pandemic really artificially inflated sales. people are lazy and they go right back to their lazy ways.

Why reply if you obviously know nothing about Dōst Bikes. none of their parts are proprietary and everything is easily replaced. They use Bafang, Schwalbe, Gates, Panasonic, Enviolo, etc.
#
EVERY battery on EVERY dost bike is built into the frame so it is NOT like the millions available on bike conversions easily obtained from a third party

I replied because this is a "forum" and for your information that means.

forum
/ˈfɔːrəm/
noun
a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

#
EVERY battery on EVERY dost bike is built into the frame so it is NOT like the millions available on bike conversions easily obtained from a third party

I replied because this is a "forum" and for your information that means.

forum
/ˈfɔːrəm/
noun
a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
The frame is designed and built around the battery. The Panasonic battery is available online. The only proprietary part is the frame.

It’s indeed a forum, but your reply had little to no relation to the topic (Dost in receivership) other than for you to share your photos and imply that you know better because you didn’t buy a new e-bike and instead built one yourself. Both approaches (build or buy) are valid.

Last edited:
The frame is designed and built around the battery. The Panasonic battery is available online. The only proprietary part is the frame.

It’s indeed a forum, but your reply had little to no relation to the topic (Dost in receivership) other than for you to share your photos and imply that you know better because you didn’t buy a new e-bike and instead built one yourself. Both approaches (build or buy) are valid.
Where is the Panasonic battery available online?
With receivership happening wouldn’t the Dost inventory be available somewhere eventually for us to purchase?

The point @CanNik is arguing seems valid. The battery cells inside the pack battery may be Panasonic (currently the web site advertises Samsung), but the cells are a component inside of a proprietary manufactured pack. Or are they? Is the pack (and its battery cradle and contacts) available from a third party in a format that will work in a Dost? I notice the Dost site sells a secondary battery that is a whopping $699 for a whole 11ah. That points out the other drawback of buying this class of pack: Pricing far above what a top-quality (not discount!) 3rd party pack would cost.

The way this usually works in the present day, where ebike manufacturers are no longer using 3rd party off-the-shelf casings like we used to see from Reention, Hailong etc... the answer will be no. Which brings home @CanNik's original point that a bike not manufactured with a proprietary battery pack design does not suffer from the kind of risk you face when buying a bike from a company that may fail. Dost, Sondors, Van Moof... its a list that is only going to get longer as the Bikepocalypse vendor shakeout continues.

Alright, I’m as upset as anyone. My issue? I have the bike but the battery never produced 50% of the range advertised by Dost. Convinced Dost it was defective and they put a replacement on back order. It never arrived despite hounding them for 13 months. Should have joined EBR Forums after 3 months. I did keep pinging Dost every other month then I lost my passion. Now Dost is bankrupt. What was I thinking?

Meanwhile the installed battery tanked. I get under 5 miles of range out of it now. So, where can a replacement battery be found that will fit onto the OEM frame w/ compatible connectors for the controller and the motor? M@robertson, Do I own a $3K, 70lb paperweight now?

Last edited:
Alright, I’m as upset as anyone. My issue? I have the bike but the battery never produced 50% of the range advertised by Dost. Convinced Dost it was defective and they put a replacement on back order. It never arrived despite hounding them for 13 months. Should have joined EBR Forums after 3 months. I did keep pinging Dost every other month then I lost my passion. Now Dost is bankrupt. What was I thinking?

Meanwhile the installed battery tanked. I get under 5 miles of range out of it now. So, where can a replacement battery be found that will fit onto the OEM frame w/ compatible connectors for the controller and the motor? M@robertson, Do I own a $3K, 70lb paperweight now?
Biktrix sells the same in tube battery and for external battery also sell the same battery mounting plate with correct lead.

Biktrix sells the same in tube battery and for external battery also sell the same battery mounting plate with correct lead.

Thanks Rob. Nice to know there is somewhere we can buy a replacement battery if needed. Do you have the exact link for the extended range battery and mounting bracket?

Back