New Carbon Fiber Bike from Ride1up

Jimmy666

Attachments

• roadster-black-right-min.jpg
    roadster-black-right-min.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 71
boy what a change. actual normal components. but still no torque sensing.
Yeah, I think sales will be weak until they add torque sensing. Cadence sensing only is cheap, primitive technology if you are introducing a new ebike.

No torque sensor is odd, but man what a great deal. Outside of cargo, light weight is the future of e-bikes, imo.

28.6 pounds for an e-gravel bike at $2.2k

Good looking bike too, doesn't look electric at all.

No torque sensor is odd, but man what a great deal. Outside of cargo, light weight is the future of e-bikes, imo.

28.6 pounds for an e-gravel bike at $2.2k

Good looking bike too, doesn't look electric at all.
at that price there has to be sacrifices. but its components are far better then anything else in that price range. but its also a bike thats going to take effort to ride.

Only two sizes available (50 & 56cm).
Personally, I'd rather have a quality aluminum frame than a cheap carbon frame.

Yeah, I think sales will be weak until they add torque sensing. Cadence sensing only is cheap, primitive technology if you are introducing a new ebike.
Yeah, after having ridden both now for awhile, I much prefer Torque. Hate to say it, but my cadence bikes are big time ghost Pedalers!

My Ride 1 UP Gravelsters are 33 lbs. This one is only 5 lbs lighter. It does have some nice components though. You could go fit right in with a pack of Spandex riders!
Hmm. This one is interesting. I’ve been riding my analog SS and geared bikes more than my Roadster these days, and especially for bike club rides.

This could be a good compromise. I don’t care about torque sensing either, and am fine with cadence sensors, since I’m almost always putting in enough of my own effort (so I’m not ghost pedaling).

Wondering out loud if I could mainly ride motor off, and only save the motor boost for the end of my rides, or really significant hills. After about 40 miles or so on a fast club ride on my analog bikes, I’m running on fumes after that for the last 10 miles, so this might be an affordable answer.

Hmm. This one is interesting. I’ve been riding my analog SS and geared bikes more than my Roadster these days, and especially for bike club rides.

This could be a good compromise. I don’t care about torque sensing either, and am fine with cadence sensors, since I’m almost always putting in enough of my own effort (so I’m not ghost pedaling).

Wondering out loud if I could mainly ride motor off, and only save the motor boost for the end of my rides, or really significant hills. After about 40 miles or so on a fast club ride on my analog bikes, I’m running on fumes after that for the last 10 miles, so this might be an affordable answer.
I am surprised they didn't do a torque sensor. But I'm with you on the torque vs cadence, especially on a road bike. I tend to ride my 2 R1Up Roadsters (gravel and non gravel) much like you (though not in your league!!), using just enough effort. So in essence, I'm the torque sensor :cool:. On a MTB, ok that's a different story.

Couple of other things:
1. The extender battery fits the CF.
2. I also notice that the V2 non gravel is $795 now for the burgundy and grey ones (still $1095 on the black). Hmmm, wonder if they're going to stop selling the non gravel version. Having both I much prefer the simple regular V2.

Yeah, after having ridden both now for awhile, I much prefer Torque. Hate to say it, but my cadence bikes are big time ghost Pedalers!
As much as I love my cadence bikes, mine are ghost pedalers too

I am surprised they didn't do a torque sensor. But I'm with you on the torque vs cadence, especially on a road bike. I tend to ride my 2 R1Up Roadsters (gravel and non gravel) much like you (though not in your league!!), using just enough effort. So in essence, I'm the torque sensor :cool:. On a MTB, ok that's a different story.

Couple of other things:
2. I also notice that the V2 non gravel is $795 now for the burgundy and grey ones (still $1095 on the black). Hmmm, wonder if they're going to stop selling the non gravel version. Having both I much prefer the simple regular V2.
That's good to know there is an extender for it. This would be a no brainer if it had a torque sensor.

Brilliant. Missed that, good to know! Already have the extender for my Roadster v2, for 50+ mile rides, so would be great to be able to also use on that bike if I got it.

electrek, an online reviewer of ebikes, has an article on the CF Racer1:

How the heck they can offer a carbon frame, carbon fork, carbon seat post, and one piece carbon stem and handlebar, with SRAM components for is beyond me.

electrek, an online reviewer of ebikes, has an article on the CF Racer1:

How the heck they can offer a carbon frame, carbon fork, carbon seat post, and one piece carbon stem and handlebar, with SRAM components for is beyond me.
there are sacrifices there aways are. usually battery quality but remember it has a small battery and a small motor.

Reactions: PSm
there are sacrifices there aways are. usually battery quality but remember it has a small battery and a small motor.
Thinking more about the new CF, I may have to get it 😃. But need to make room in the garage.

My Roadster v2 is still running great at ~8000 miles. And the smallish battery and motor has been fine for me. Maybe a goal for me would be to get it to 10000 miles, donate the bike to a local bike non-profit (but keeping the external battery setup), and then have room in the garage for the CF. I’ll always still keep my State Black Label analog SS, even if I get rid of the Roadster. Three bikes at a time, max for me.

Last edited:
I'm not a hard core road biker like many of you, but for the $2200, thats a great deal. My son said "they're giving away ebikes now"! I reminded him the R and Ms still sell for 12K!!

These deep discounts are pretty widespread now. Wondering if, in some cases, manufacturers are dumping ebikes that aren't UL-listed.
I think part of the deep discounts are from many companies having a large amount of overstock. New models are soon to be announced and they have to move old stock. I just ordered a usually $3100 Kona El Kahuna for $1550.
I was thinking about getting a Prodigy Xc or the V2 but saving $850 was a no brainer for me even at the cost of a slower top speed.

Thinking more about the new CF, I may have to get it 😃. But need to make room in the garage.

My Roadster v2 is still running great at ~8000 miles. And the smallish battery and motor has been fine for me. Maybe a goal for me would be to get it to 10000 miles, donate the bike to a local bike non-profit (but keeping the external battery setup), and then have room in the garage for the CF. I’ll always still keep my State Black Label analog SS, even if I get rid of the Roadster. Three bikes at a time, max for me.
Okay, I give up. Going to order the new CF Racer1. From what I can tell, it’s just too nice of a bike, with brand name components, light weight, and a great price. Sure there’s compromises, but a bike in the weight range of a Specialized S-Works Turbo Creo for $2200 instead of $9000 and up, is almost a no-brainer.

Will donate or otherwise find a good home for the Roadster, and keep the extender battery if needed for the new CF.

First up after getting the bike, is the plan to do an imperial century ride. Want to see if I can ride most of it with little to no assist, and save power for the end of ride (when I expect I’ll be running on fumes, and trying to just keep legs moving). Very excited!

Back