New Carbon Fiber Bike from Ride1up

Okay, I give up. Going to order the new CF Racer1. From what I can tell, it’s just too nice of a bike, with brand name components, light weight, and a great price. Sure there’s compromises, but a bike in the weight range of a Specialized S-Works Turbo Creo for $2200 instead of $9000 and up, is almost a no-brainer.

Will donate or otherwise find a good home for the Roadster, and keep the extender battery if needed for the new CF.

First up after getting the bike, is the plan to do an imperial century ride. Want to see if I can ride most of it with little to no assist, and save power for the end of ride (when I expect I’ll be running on fumes, and trying to just keep legs moving). Very excited!
The Gravel and the Road are both $2200. Only difference appears to be tire size?

The Gravel and the Road are both $2200. Only difference appears to be tire size?
From what I can tell, yes that’s the only difference. First thing I’ll do is swap out the tires for Continental Grand Prix 5000’s in 28mm size. The only thing I use now.

Last edited:
And handlebar

1000006886.png

I'm 5'7" and usually ride a 52 or 54cm framed bike. For me a 56cm frame would be too big and a 50cm would be too small. :(
Yes, frame fit is so important. Though I wouldn’t necessarily just go by the frame size number, but would check the specific dimensions and compare with a current bike that fits.

Good point about the numbers.
Just for the heck of it I compared some dimensions between a Specialized Creo (52cm) and the Ride1Up (50cm)

Dimensions 52cm Creo 50cm Ride1Up
Stack 578mm 573mm
Top Tube length 540mm 545.5mm
Reach 374mm 376mm
Seat Tube Length 430mm 500mm
Stand over height 743mm 751mm

edit: everything lined up when I typed it out, but it went screwy with I saved it.:confused:

Does anyone know how the extender works? When you use the extender on this bike (or their other models) does it first use the internal battery before it switches to the extender, or does it use both at the same time? If you have the extender in a backpack and your main battery dies, are you able to clip in the extender and continue with no concerns about damaging the internal battery or wasting power as it tries to change the internal battery from the extender?

Last edited:
Does anyone know how they extender works? When you use the extender on this bike (or their other models) does it first use the internal battery before it switches to the extender, or does it use both at the same time? If you have the extender in a backpack and your main battery dies, are you able to clip in the extender and continue with no concerns about damaging the internal battery or wasting power as it tries to change the internal battery from the extender?
That's a good question. Since the bike comes with a small internal battery an extender battery would be nice to have on longer rides.
I've watched a couple of short videos on this bike, but since the bike is so new there isn't much on youtube yet.

Good point about the numbers.
Just for the heck of it I compared some dimensions between a Specialized Creo (52cm) and the Ride1Up (50cm)

Dimensions 52cm Creo 50cm Ride1Up
Stack 578mm 573mm
Top Tube length 540mm 545.5mm
Reach 374mm 376mm
Seat Tube Length 430mm 500mm
Stand over height 743mm 751mm

edit: everything lined up when I typed it out, but it went screwy with I saved it.:confused:

the stack and reach are so close, you could clearly ride either of those bikes!

Does anyone know how the extender works? When you use the extender on this bike (or their other models) does it first use the internal battery before it switches to the extender, or does it use both at the same time? If you have the extender in a backpack and your main battery dies, are you able to clip in the extender and continue with no concerns about damaging the internal battery or wasting power as it tries to change the internal battery from the extender?
Based on my Roadster (or Gravelster), which uses the same external battery, expect there should be no problem. Uses both at the same time, and if one has more voltage, it’ll draw down from that one. (At least I think that’s how it works, but it worked fine for me).

I'd be really curious to see what the rear dropouts for the motor's spindles look like. I can't imagine they would be carbon. The torque from the motor would surely round the drop out ends in short order.
Steel inserts, maybe?

I'd be really curious to see what the rear dropouts for the motor's spindles look like. I can't imagine they would be carbon. The torque from the motor would surely round the drop out ends in short order.
Steel inserts, maybe?
not sure if this one is also a through axle, but a special metal insert which mates to one end of the motor is what I’ve seen on carbon hub drives.

IMG_0540.jpeg

What are your thoughts on hanging my Gravelster from the garage ceiling hooks? I'm guessing they were used by the previous owners analog bike? Could it do damage to the battery or electrical system?

Attachments

• garage hooks.jpg
    garage hooks.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 29
What are your thoughts on hanging my Gravelster from the garage ceiling hooks? I'm guessing they were used by the previous owners analog bike? Could it do damage to the battery or electrical system?
i’ve hung a lot of electric bikes. never had a problem with the bike electric system. make sure the hook is strong enough, has a nice rubber coating so it doesn’t mess up your wheels, and only hang from the front wheel. upside down my cause issues with hydraulic brakes.

i’ve hung a lot of electric bikes. never had a problem with the bike electric system. make sure the hook is strong enough, has a nice rubber coating so it doesn’t mess up your wheels, and only hang from the front wheel. upside down my cause issues with hydraulic brakes.
Ok, good tip. So hang from front wheel, and get something soft between the hook and my front wheel? I wonder what I could slip over the metal hook?

Ok, good tip. So hang from front wheel, and get something soft between the hook and my front wheel? I wonder what I could slip over the metal hook?
the nicer hooks have a rubber cover on the hook, you could probably just wrap it with a few layers of electrical tape if it doesn’t.

Back