Gazelle Medeo or Ultimate T10+ Questions

nutdriver

Region
USA
I am currently early in my search for a mid-drive ebike. I have seen the Gazelle Medeo T10+ and a Ultimate T10+ but only in the mid-size frames. I would want the lower bar model (step thru) rather than a more classic high bar men's style. I am 69 years old and 180 lbs. Height is 6'2" tall which seems to put me into the large frame. On the mid-size frames, I felt that with my seat height adjusted properly I was almost able to keep both feet flat footed. I do not anticipate that my local Gazelle dealer will be getting in a Large frame given the winter season. I live in the mountains of Colorado. Would appreciate any insights that can be provided on frame size. Most likely my purchase would be in spring.

A second question is about tire size. I think that the Gazelle bikes ship with 47-622 tires. What is the widest tire that will still fit on these bikes? I hope to do some mild gravel or moderately smooth dirt roads and thought that a wider tire may be more appropriate.

Welcome aboard! Ebiking in the Colorado Rockies sounds fantastic. When we first moved to Denver from the Bay Area, my first take on the mountains was that they'd be absolutely perfect with less gravity and more oxygen. An ebike addresses both shortcomings.

No expert on bike fitting, but a cautionary tale: After dithering between medium and large step-thru frames, went with medium to save a little weight, as seat height range seemed the same.

And it was the same. Later looked at frame dimensions in detail and realized that the only significant difference between medium and large was reach.

Still like that LBS, but neither the owner/manager nor my salesperson pointed that out. And now I find myself wishing for a little more reach.

Moral of the story: Go through the frame dimensions yourself and see where the real differences lie. THEN test-ride with that in mind.

Welcome aboard! Ebiking in the Colorado Rockies sounds fantastic. When we first moved to Denver from the Bay Area, my first take on the mountains was that they'd be absolutely perfect with less gravity and more oxygen. An ebike addresses both shortcomings.

No expert on bike fitting, but a cautionary tale: After dithering between medium and large step-thru frames, went with medium to save a little weight, as seat height range seemed the same.

And it was the same. Later looked at frame dimensions in detail and realized that the only significant difference between medium and large was reach.

Still like that LBS, but neither the owner/manager nor my salesperson pointed that out. And now I find myself wishing for a little more reach.

Moral of the story: Go through the frame dimensions yourself and see where the real differences lie. THEN test-ride with that in mind.
yes I was just the opposite Theo only bike they had had a hair les reach then the one I was on. but reach is easy to fix if you just need a little bit.

Great idea to pull up a bike's frame dimensions! If I understand your comments, a larger frame will result in a somewhat longer reach??

Great idea to pull up a bike's frame dimensions! If I understand your comments, a larger frame will result in a somewhat longer reach??
With my 2023 Surface 604 V Rook, yes. With other bikes, can't say. Could well vary from bike to bike. Comparing the major frame measurements should tell the tale. Five minutes.

If frame angles also differ significantly between two sizes of the same model, others can advise on the ones to watch.

I think that the Gazelle bikes ship with 47-622 tires. What is the widest tire that will still fit on these bikes?
It is a usual practice for the manufacturers of good e-bikes to install the tyres of maximum allowed width as the stock. The limiting factors are both the frame geometry as well as the fenders' width. Additionally, the e-bike system is configured for a given tyre width to properly interpret the e-bike speed.

47-622 are actually pretty wide tyres. FYI, the typical gravel tyre size is either 38 or 42-622 and gravel bikes usually have no suspension but are often ridden dirt roads! The market has been recently impressed with the Creo 2 (a propel gravel e-bike) delivered with unusually wide 47-622 tires!

If you buy a Gazelle, give her stock tyres a chance for at least 500 miles if not more. Also, use the Rene Herse Tire Pressure Calculator and ride the e-bike in the Soft setting for the tire inflation. You would be surprised how the reasonably low tyre pressure and the suspension make your rides plush and safe!

I just need to mention I ride my full power e-bike in a similar terrain on 47-622 tyres even if my Vado 6.0 allows 51-622.

It is a usual practice for the manufacturers of good e-bikes to install the tyres of maximum allowed width as the stock. The limiting factors are both the frame geometry as well as the fenders' width. Additionally, the e-bike system is configured for a given tyre width to properly interpret the e-bike speed.

47-622 are actually pretty wide tyres. FYI, the typical gravel tyre size is either 38 or 42-622 and gravel bikes usually have no suspension but are often ridden dirt roads! The market has been recently impressed with the Creo 2 (a propel gravel e-bike) delivered with unusually wide 47-622 tires!

If you buy a Gazelle, give her stock tyres a chance for at least 500 miles if not more. Also, use the Rene Herse Tire Pressure Calculator and ride the e-bike in the Soft setting for the tire inflation. You would be surprised how the reasonably low tyre pressure and the suspension make your rides plush and safe!

I just need to mention I ride my full power e-bike in a similar terrain on 47-622 tyres even if my Vado 6.0 allows 51-622.
Thanks for your suggestions. That is reassuring about the 47-622 tires on the Gazelle. I think part of what got me thinking about the tires is that a second bike I am looking at is very similar to the T10+ models except that the tires are 57-650. I was wondering if perhaps they would offer some benefits but in most other ways I prefer the Gazelle line. Also, I anticipate that 95% of my riding will be on paved or at least relatively smooth gravel roads.

I had found the Rene Herse Tire Pressure Calculator. Very interesting information on tire pressure! Based on my past riding, I was somewhat over inflating my tires compared to what this site suggests.

With my 2023 Surface 604 V Rook, yes. With other bikes, can't say. Could well vary from bike to bike. Comparing the major frame measurements should tell the tale. Five minutes.

If frame angles also differ significantly between two sizes of the same model, others can advise on the ones to watch.
I found the Gazelle geometry data (see attached). If I am interpreting this correctly this shows minimal difference between the medium and large frame sizes. Also, as @fooferdoggie suggested, the reach could be tweaked with different stems.

Attachments

• gazelle_ultimate_geometry.pdf
    305 KB · Views: 102
except that the tires are 57-650
It is 57-584 (27.5 x 2.25"), wheel size 27.5 aka 650b. These are smaller wheels than the 28/29" (700c) or 622 mm ones (a lot of confusion here!) The 584 mm wheel allows wider tyres than the 622 mm one to produce more or less a similar e-bike height. The 27.5" wheels are in the Cross Country MTB domain, and the 57-622 are somewhat more plush than the 47-622. However, the difference is not that big as you might think.

Besides, I am not sure that even a Dutch e-bike allows getting flat-footed while still sitting. Choosing a wrong size of bike is one of the dire mistakes one can make...
I guess you would be pedalling too a small Gazelle with your knees bend, which is a terribly tiresome and inefficient :)

I was forced to accept the frame size S for my rebuilt size M e-bike (don't ask for reasons). It meant the necessity to buy a long seat-post as well as a very long stem even if the geometries between the size S and M only meant 8 mm for a single parameter across the e-bike length. Taking into account how things are integrated in modern e-bikes (especially in the stem area), I would recommend choosing an e-bike of the right size from the day one :)

Ask your bike shop what tires they can fit. Pretty sure I've seen someone run a 60 (with the fenders), but it might have been a 55.

As a Gazelle owner, I would strongly encourage also testing a Specialized Tero X 4.0-6.0.

For Gazelle I like the chain bikes better than belt, and the class 3 speed will come in handy.

Ask your bike shop what tires they can fit. Pretty sure I've seen someone run a 60 (with the fenders), but it might have been a 55.
Hey, AR, the Gazelle @nutdriver mentioned comes with 47-622 wheels/tyres (28", 700c, 622 mm). What is the wheel size on your Gazelle? 27.5"/650b/584 mm?

As a Gazelle owner, I would strongly encourage also testing a Specialized Tero X 4.0-6.0.
Me too :)

For Gazelle I like the chain bikes better than belt, and the class 3 speed will come in handy.
I have also decided on going with a chain bike. I will definitely look at the Specialized Tero bikes. On quick review they have some nice features. I was especially impressed with the Turbo Tero 5.0. I have some concerns about the Specialized mid drive but mostly because I am less familiar with that technology. What are the advantages of the Specialized motor over a Bosch?

Hey, AR, the Gazelle @nutdriver mentioned comes with 47-622 wheels/tyres (28", 700c, 622 mm). What is the wheel size on your Gazelle? 27.5"/650b/584 mm?
They say it's a 28" wheel. The tires are 50-622 Schwalbe Energizer Plus.
I have also decided on going with a chain bike. I will definitely look at the Specialized Tero bikes. On quick review they have some nice features. I was especially impressed with the Turbo Tero 5.0. I have some concerns about the Specialized mid drive but mostly because I am less familiar with that technology. What are the advantages of the Specialized motor over a Bosch?
The Specialized motor is considerably quieter than the Bosch class 3, while having a little more torque (5 nm). The torque is negligible, but I really love the quietness.

Historically, the first Specialized Vado came with 51-622 slick tyres, and it was delivered with 47-622 tyres for the next 4 years until the design has radically changed. You say your Gazelle can fit the 50-622 tyres, fine. What makes you think the Gazelle fenders or frame would allow 55 or even 60 mm wide tyres? It is as a huge difference as the wheels with >50 mm tyres are named 29"!

Historically, the first Specialized Vado came with 51-622 slick tyres, and it was delivered with 47-622 tyres for the next 4 years until the design has radically changed. You say your Gazelle can fit the 50-622 tyres, fine. What makes you think the Gazelle fenders or frame would allow 55 or even 60 mm wide tyres? It is as a huge difference as the wheels with >50 mm tyres are named 29"!
I came across an Ultimate bike online which had aftermarket 29" wheels and wider tires. It seemed to work out fine. Can't find it at the moment.

I am currently early in my search for a mid-drive ebike. I have seen the Gazelle Medeo T10+ and a Ultimate T10+ but only in the mid-size frames. I would want the lower bar model (step thru) rather than a more classic high bar men's style. I am 69 years old and 180 lbs. Height is 6'2" tall which seems to put me into the large frame. On the mid-size frames, I felt that with my seat height adjusted properly I was almost able to keep both feet flat footed. I do not anticipate that my local Gazelle dealer will be getting in a Large frame given the winter season. I live in the mountains of Colorado. Would appreciate any insights that can be provided on frame size. Most likely my purchase would be in spring.

A second question is about tire size. I think that the Gazelle bikes ship with 47-622 tires. What is the widest tire that will still fit on these bikes? I hope to do some mild gravel or moderately smooth dirt roads and thought that a wider tire may be more appropriate.

As others pointed out you can probably fit a 50c tire but it'll be tight with the fenders. The stock tires on both Medeo and Ultimate are plenty adequate for gravel riding. Consider adding Tannus tire armour to at least the rear wheel. The main difference in the Medeo and Ultimate is mostly fit. The Medeo family is a bit "sportier" in terms of reach meaning you'll be leaned over a bit more compared to the Ultimate family. Ultimate's also have a nicer fork and wheel set. Both are probably the best deal going in the class 3 bikes.

True the Specialized motors are a bit quieter with the belt drive, but don't have near the reliability compared to the Bosch Performance Speed drive units. Also the Brose built Specialized motors aren't nearly as efficient either.

At your height I'd say a mid step large frame in either family would be worth considering, in Medeo that's a 55cm, Ultiamte is 57cm. Both in stock with Gazelle too ;)

As others pointed out you can probably fit a 50c tire but it'll be tight with the fenders. The stock tires on both Medeo and Ultimate are plenty adequate for gravel riding. Consider adding Tannus tire armour to at least the rear wheel. The main difference in the Medeo and Ultimate is mostly fit. The Medeo family is a bit "sportier" in terms of reach meaning you'll be leaned over a bit more compared to the Ultimate family. Ultimate's also have a nicer fork and wheel set. Both are probably the best deal going in the class 3 bikes.

True the Specialized motors are a bit quieter with the belt drive, but don't have near the reliability compared to the Bosch Performance Speed drive units. Also the Brose built Specialized motors aren't nearly as efficient either.

At your height I'd say a mid step large frame in either family would be worth considering, in Medeo that's a 55cm, Ultiamte is 57cm. Both in stock with Gazelle too ;)
Thanks for your help! I have taken a quick look at the Specialized bikes eliminating all that do not include a rear bike rack and have a mid step feature. Mostly, I was focusing on the Turbo Vado 4.0. After pondering this further, I do like the idea of a Bosch motor used in the Gazelle since that opens up a lot of shops that can provide service if needed. By contrast, the Specialized motors would seem to be far more limited if service is needed. I am also not that impressed with my local Specialzed dealer. I have ridden an Ultimate again and really like the feel. My current leaning is to go with an Ultimate T10+ model or the Ultimate C380+. I was initially focused on traditional chain/derailer bikes but have become more open to the sealed type transmission as used on the C380 as I learned more about them. I do like the idea of adding the Tannus Armour at least for the rear tire. I will definitely do that if I go with the C380+ since it appears that a flat repair on the rear would be a bit more complicated. I have also learned that my state has a pool of money to help encourage people to adopt e-bike transportation and to decrease reliance on traditional cars when possible. I plan to apply and should know how that ends in a few weeks if I will have access to that money.

Last edited:

The Specialized motor is considerably quieter than the Bosch class 3, while having a little more torque (5 nm). The torque is negligible, but I really love the quietness.
This is my 3rd ebike. I have ridden several others so can speak from some experience. My current ebike has a Brose motor and the quietness and smooth power delivery of it is a wonderful feature that is enjoyed on each and every silent ride. There are too many jerky, surging, whining and grinding electric bikes out there.

I have the 53 cm Ultimate T10+. Any dimensions I can measure for you? I am 6’0” with a 34 inch inseam. I find the high bar as high as I can comfortably straddle the bike. Any taller would be like a cheap hotel…..no ballroom. 😈😂

Back