Range extender battery lost capacity

MikeDee

My Orbea Gain range extender has lost capacity. I got less than 15 miles out of it in the level 1 setting and it normally should have lasted much longer. I've had it for at least several years, although the bike only gets ridden at most once a week. What's my options? Buy a new one? Can Orbea refurbish it? Where's the best place to buy one (bike shop I bought it from is my first option, but maybe not the cheapest (I'm in the US)). Anyone had this problem? The main battery seems OK.

I found this https://www.shopmikesbikes.shop/product/gain-x35-range-extender-orbea/ . It looks like a scam to me. What do you think?

Last edited:
My Orbea Gain range extender has lost capacity. I got less than 15 miles out of it in the level 1 setting and it normally should have lasted much longer. I've had it for at least several years, although the bike only gets ridden at most once a week. What's my options? Buy a new one? Can Orbea refurbish it? Where's the best place to buy one (bike shop I bought it from is my first option, but maybe not the cheapest (I'm in the US)). Anyone had this problem? The main battery seems OK.

I found this https://www.shopmikesbikes.shop/product/gain-x35-range-extender-orbea/ . It looks like a scam to me. What do you think?
Looks like a scam to me. Why don't you email Orbea and ask if shop mikes is a valid reseller?

I think my range extender may be OK. I charged it and the bike internal battery separately instead of serially, and I got 24 miles out of it as the light changed to orange (50% power) in Level 1 power. That seems way better than what I got out of it yesterday. Seems like the battery didn't fully charge for some reason. I read that the battery may need calibration:

1.15 - How to calibrate the battery​

We recommend from time to time, let the battery discharge until 0% and charge it to 100%.[Tip] In order to get the battery at 0% it is required to pair the bike to the app and let them connected until the battery of the bike is finally over.

It's essential to focus on battery health and maintenance. Our approach includes engineering long-lasting, wire-bonded battery packs with advanced battery management systems. The Zen Photon, featuring a 500W motor and 1040 Wh battery, exemplifies this, ensuring extended range and efficiency. Proper battery care, like regular calibration, is crucial for optimal performance and longevity.
1703273292037.png

Back