Re-greasing the Ultra motor...is it time?

Deacon Blues

The Ultra motor is my UC Pro is getting louder and louder, so I think it may be time to re-grease the gears.
This is the first time I've done this, so any tips would be appreciated.
I've watched a handful of videos on this topic, using Corn Head grease, and it looks to be a straightforward job.
Can anyone give me a link to a gasket it case the gasket is damaged, or I damage it taking the motor apart?
Thanks
Ron

The Ultra motor is my UC Pro is getting louder and louder, so I think it may be time to re-grease the gears.
I've watched a handful of videos on this topic, using Corn Head grease, and it looks to be a straightforward job.
Can anyone give me a link to a gasket it case the gasket is damaged, or I damage it taking the motor apart?
Thanks
Ron
Easy job to do.

I installed Corn Head Grease twice. Works well.

Thanks
Ron
What's your milage?

Easy job to do.

I installed Corn Head Grease twice. Works well.
At what interval?

Not looking forward to this though I've done it on my BBS02B several times without issue.
I still have near a full tube of Mobil SHC 100

Mobilith SHC 100 is an antiwear and extreme pressure grease primarily recommended for higher speed applications such as electric motors, where reduced friction, low wear and long service life are required. It is an NLGI 2 Grade / ISO VG 100 grease with a synthetic base fluid. Its operating temperature range is -40º C* to 150º C.

It may not have the same quieting effect of cornhead

What's your milage?

At what interval?

Not looking forward to this though I've done it on my BBS02B several times without issue.

Mobilith SHC 100 is an antiwear and extreme pressure grease primarily recommended for higher speed applications such as electric motors, where reduced friction, low wear and long service life are required. It is an NLGI 2 Grade / ISO VG 100 grease with a synthetic base fluid. Its operating temperature range is -40º C* to 150º C.

I did mine first at 500 miles, found it had very little grease in it. Then just to see what it looked like I opened it at 2,300 miles. It had lots of corn head grease. I added a bit more. I will do mine once a year or every 2,500 miles.

Before:
Before 500 miles.JPG

After 2,300 miles of Corn Head grease
2300 miles.jpg

I did my BBS02B similarly... 1k then every 3k.
I'm about due.
I'll probably do the first with the Mobil since it's on hand

What's your milage?

At what interval?

The motor only has 1700km, but I'm a bit concerned about the noise level. The motor is considerably noisier than my Hydra's motor, although my Hydra has less than 500km on it.

The motor only has 1700km, but I'm a bit concerned about the noise level. The motor is considerably noisier than my Hydra's motor, although my Hydra has less than 500km on it.
Seems @Tom@WashDC may have an appropriate interval for the Ultra.
The reports of adequate factory grease have been spotty at best... at least with regards to noise.
Anyone see signs of metal shavings when doing the initial greasing?

Over the past few days I've watched a number of youtube videos on taking off the motor and taking it apart for re-greasing.
In one video the guy put in way, way too much grease. When he was done you couldn't see the gears for grease! What a mess. He disabled the comment function...I wonder why. ;)

I ended up ordering a new gasket (actually ordered two...you never know) from GreenBikeKit in the UK. They were 7 GBP each and shipping was only 7 GBP. It's weird that shipping from the US to Canada is MUCH more expensive than shipping from the UK to Canada. It's not so bad if USPS can be used, but if it's shipped by Fedex or UPS look out!

There's a John Deere tractor dealership about 40 miles from where I live, but before I drove that far I looked on Amazon.ca for the price of John Deere's Corn Head Grease.
$55.00 Can. That's nuts!
I phone the John Deere dealership-the price is $9.45 Can. Guess I'm driving to the dealership on Friday. We'll be half way there anyways, doing shopping.

Over the past few days I've watched a number of youtube videos on taking off the motor and taking it apart for re-greasing.
In one video the guy put in way, way too much grease. When he was done you couldn't see the gears for grease! What a mess. He disabled the comment function...I wonder why. ;)

I ended up ordering a new gasket (actually ordered two...you never know) from GreenBikeKit in the UK. They were 7 GBP each and shipping was only 7 GBP. It's weird that shipping from the US to Canada is MUCH more expensive than shipping from the UK to Canada. It's not so bad if USPS can be used, but if it's shipped by Fedex or UPS look out!

There's a John Deere tractor dealership about 40 miles from where I live, but before I drove that far I looked on Amazon.ca for the price of John Deere's Corn Head Grease.
$55.00 Can. That's nuts!
I phone the John Deere dealership-the price is $9.45 Can. Guess I'm driving to the dealership on Friday. We'll be half way there anyways, doing shopping.
Yeah there's a screaming pin head on YouTube that greases BBS motors and he also uses way to much grease. You can actual do more harm from gease being forced past seals and overworking the motor.

When common sense isn't your friend... People should read.

Not youtube

Last edited:
Yeah there's a screaming pin head on YouTube that greases BBS motors and he also uses way to much grease. You can actual do more harm from gease being forced past seals and overworking the motor.

When common sense isn't your friend... People should read.

Not youtube

Holy love of God, that YouTuber is annoying just listening for 30 seconds..

I picked up the Head Corn grease a week ago and the new gaskets came today. Turns out the old gasket was in really good shape, but I'll replace it anyways.
Below is three photos of the motor apart. This is all new to me, but it doesn't look like there's much grease.
What do you guys think?
Also, look at the shavings in the case. What the heck is going on with that? Have you guys seen this before?
Any idea where the shavings came from? the gears don't look to be damage.

One last thing.....having trouble getting the gears out. Should it just pull out? I twisted and pulled, but the one gear only came out part way. I'm not sure how much force I should use.
Thanks
Ron

Yikes! The second gear looks very worn. The tooth profile has worn down to a triangle. The sides of the teeth should be curved like the gear beside it. I imagine the center section of the first gear is worn out too. You're looking at a new rotor (the first gear is pressed on) and a new second gear.

The gears should just pop out by prying evenly on both sides. It's just suction holding the bearings in the motor housing.

I'll be packing that end of the gear train full of grease on my next service!

I turned the case upside down and the gears fell out and I'm wondering the heck the black stuff is. Wear from the gears?
I sent the photos to Pushkar, via email. I hope he responds.

Back