ToSeven DM Series Mid Motors

JRA

This came up on my screen today. The DM01 is kind of a BBSHD with Torque Sensing. Weighs 6kg......Square taper cranks, when are they going to get with the splined program over there? Supposedly developed by an ex Bafang engineer.

The DM02 is alot lighter @3.6kg or so and a competitor to the TongShen TSDZ2 and looks virtually the same?

There are some video's of them in operation and they sound pretty loud although they say in the factory information that the 01 is only 50db but it sure sounds louder than that. Looks like nylon gears also which might melt, or might not....

Screenshot 2023-06-26 at 6.41.43 PM.png

View attachment 156848

So they look like a mix/best of the BBS and TSD.
So for me the big question is... Is it end user manufacturer supported programmable or are we playing more of the hack game.

Chainring is spindle mount... Kinda/sorta 🤣🤣

Screenshot_20230626-220320_Chrome.jpg

To partially answer my own question.

From an endless_sphere post:

"Reply from To7 on the UK Pedelecs forum.

The new DM-01 and DM-02 are not a derivative of the tongsheng Motors. They are a new design
There is some influence as the lead engineer was the engineer responsible for producing the tongsheng motors who's came over to form the new company

the new design is focused on build quality and reliability. They can withstand a lot more power

we have transitioned to UART controller's we intend to keep because its open to community development

we intend to release the motor programming software to the community/ end users and activity engage with them on forums like this

being a step up there is an increase in price.
We don't intend to be dragged into competing on price. We will aim to deliver a quality product with warranty/ servicing and spares availability

if anymore questions please let me know

thanks

Alex"

Earlier adopters, per the endless sphere thread, are getting screwed with non-functional torque assist, Toven makes then both ways and it appears the delivery chain is all messed up, Whether it's pswpower's fault or Toven's problem ... who knows. They're certainly getting bad press with the bad reviews.
I'd wait til end of the year,

I didn't check ES frankly, although I usually do. I by no means am recommending these to anyone. If they can get them figured out it will just provide another option for the DIY crowd which now that there are so many relatively inexpensive eBikes out there seems to have not been growing much whereas it was the driving force for eBikes 10yrs ago.

I didn't check ES frankly, although I usually do. I by no means am recommending these to anyone. If they can get them figured out it will just provide another option for the DIY crowd which now that there are so many relatively inexpensive eBikes out there seems to have not been growing much whereas it was the driving force for eBikes 10yrs ago.
I concur... I wanted to do another build but the available motors just fall short of what they should /could be.
Would love to have the reliability and power of Bafang with the Torque sensing of TSD, CYC and now ToSeven.
All fall short with supported end user programming.

The High Voltage YouTube channel has posted an excellent series of videos on the ToSeven motor that can be viewed from this playlist. My preferred Bafang mid-drive supplier California Ebike is now taking pre-orders on Toseven motors. Watching the videos it seems the kit currently does not come with an equivalent to the 1T2 splitter cable Tongsheng supply for TSDZ2 motors. This seems an omission because the ToSeven display and button pad have a light function. Be interested to learn if the 1T2 cable is compatible with ToSeven motors to add ebike lights.

Mine gets here maybe Friday. I ordered the DM01 1000W with 42 tooth chainring from California Ebike. I'm working on my first DIY build so I have something to feel a bit more comfortable locking outside the grocery store compared to my Frey Beast.

Ok, I finished the build this weekend. I'm using a budget Walmart bike (Ozark Trail Ridge), Toseven DM01 motor (from California Ebike), and a 60V 25ah battery 16S5P, Samsung 50E cells (from AliExpress UPP official store).

I need so spend more time riding, but so far it is fantastic... I love torque sensing since I mostly only run pedal assist. This will be my run to the store bike, I'm not comfortable locking up my Frey Beast outside.

IMG_20231216_161804.jpg

IMG_20231216_161554.jpg

IMG_20231216_132052.jpg

Ok, I finished the build this weekend. I'm using a budget Walmart bike (Ozark Trail Ridge), Toseven DM01 motor (from California Ebike), and a 60V 25ah battery 16S5P, Samsung 50E cells (from AliExpress UPP official store).

I need so spend more time riding, but so far it is fantastic... I love torque sensing since I mostly only run pedal assist. This will be my run to the store bike, I'm not comfortable locking up my Frey Beast outside.

View attachment 168186
View attachment 168187
View attachment 168188
What do you think of the 42 tooth chainring on the DM01? (rear cog-set?, wheel size?, is it happy at 50 km/hr?)
I'm hoping to submit an order soon for a DM 01, but I want to get it with a chainring that will fit on my 2007 TREK 4300. (I'm unclear about chainring clearance in spit of being told that there's nothing crazy about my frame or the width of the chainstays at the BB area. It's a 21" frame with 26" wheels at 2.0" wide - 11/34 rear cog-set). I'll also be using a 60 volt battery

Greetings! Thanks for your interest in our DM mid-drive motors. We would like to inform you that our motor kit comes with a customized 46T chainring which is specifically designed for our DM01 motor, without any offset. However, if you decide to use any other sizes of flat chainring, it will come with an offset of 9MM. And please note that our DM mid drive motor is directly installed at the bottom bracket of the bicycle, so you don't need worry about wheel size.

Regarding the speed of our DM mid-drive motor, we kindly recommend you to watch the relevant videos of high voltage. If you wish to replace the customized 46T crankset with a flat crankset of a different size, please confirm with us when placing order, we will replace it for you. Once again, thank you for considering our product.

I just got my DMo2 and will have it on a bike this weekend, If it is anything like the Tsdz2b with OSF I am sure I will like it.

The DMo2 is on!

Attachments

• 20240414_123206.jpg
    20240414_123206.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240414_123244.jpg
    20240414_123244.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 20240414_123251.jpg
    20240414_123251.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240414_123306.jpg
    20240414_123306.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240414_131355.jpg
    20240414_131355.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240414_131402.jpg
    20240414_131402.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 47
The High Voltage YouTube channel has posted an excellent series of videos on the ToSeven motor that can be viewed from this playlist. My preferred Bafang mid-drive supplier California Ebike is now taking pre-orders on Toseven motors. Watching the videos it seems the kit currently does not come with an equivalent to the 1T2 splitter cable Tongsheng supply for TSDZ2 motors. This seems an omission because the ToSeven display and button pad have a light function. Be interested to learn if the 1T2 cable is compatible with ToSeven motors to add ebike lights.
I did watch Dewey.
These videos don't mention ambient temperature conditions but the over heat condition is achieved quickly during normal operation uphill.
OK: 4 Minutes into the uphill riding test of video Number 9 "TOSEVEN DM02 Ebike Conversion Motor Ride Testing, Thermal Performance"
At a motor temp of 60 deg C The system produces "not the nicest feeling to ride" dropping to 30% and resulting in a see saw or hunting behavior etcetera.

Looking forward to your first impression ride report.
It feels more powerful than my Tsdz2b with osf. I need to get a programing cable to update the firmware though, The motor doesn't reengage fast enough after you stop and then start pedaling again and there is a run on after stopping.

Back