First Time Buyer with Decision Paralysis

ap3nw

Region
USA
Hey all

I've been a casual cyclist for a few years and currently reside in the Seattle area. I'm looking to buy my first ebike to use for recreation and errands. For the last few months I've been researching what would be a good buy, but have felt overwhelmed with the huge selection of highly recommended models from all sorts of blogs and youtube channels.

Would love to be able to make ~30mi roundtrips while being able to pedal assist up the hills you'll find in the PNW. I think detachable battery would be preferred, but not a dealbreaker if the battery was internal but the bike was light. Fenders/rack are nice to haves. Also need a small frame size as I'm 5'3.

Some models I've looked at thus far:
- Priority Current (through Costco)
- Aventon Level.2
- Specialized Turbo Vado/Como
- Trek FX/Verve

I have a fairly flexible budget, but because I won't be using it as a mission critical daily commuter I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on the higher end established manufacturer models.

Would love any recommendations and general buying advice. I haven't personally worked on my own bikes much, outside of cleaning/lubing a chain - so being able to service it in a shop would be nice. With that said, I'm open to learning too.

Thanks in advance

I own a Specialized Vado 4 and a Trek Allant 8s currently, but have also owned 5 other ebikes to include Giant's offering. I love the Vado and Trek, but for the money, without any upgrades, my money would be on the Vado 4 for $4000.00 (US). I have not had one issue with the Trek or Specialized ebikes, with 3,000 plus miles on both. Good luck.....

Welcome aboard! I've been ebiking for 7 months now after 25 years away from cycling, and this forum's been a huge help at every step.

No expert, but 2 simple recommendations:
1. Make SURE that you can get the bike serviced locally. Often not the case for online purchases.
2. Hold out for a torque-sensing or more sophisticated power delivery system.

AP 3 NW Hi,
There are eBikes of all shapes and sizes; you seem totally flexible with your interest in different bikes.
Consider your true priorities for example 1) fit ; 2) genuine power for those hills {~ 750W rating } ; 3: repairs
Since you are willing to learn, buy an affordable good looking eBike with your specifications and built in the style you like online.
Learn as you go.
Good Luck
Mike

Get torque sensing for sure. That was something I didn’t know to look for 2 years when I bought mine. I also wish I would have got front shocks for city roads. Hub motor vs mid drive hasn’t been as big of a deal to me, I got a hub motor mainly because my budget was sub 2k. If you have the funds that specialized bike looks pretty sweet!

Get torque sensing for sure. That was something I didn’t know to look for 2 years when I bought mine. I also wish I would have got front shocks for city roads. Hub motor vs mid drive hasn’t been as big of a deal to me, I got a hub motor mainly because my budget was sub 2k. If you have the funds that specialized bike looks pretty sweet!
Yeah, funny about the front fork suspension. I got one because I might sometimes want to ride a rough trail (over tree roots, etc.) while on vacation. I never realized how much nicer it would make the ride on the pavement around here!

Paralysis by analysis is a common syndrome in this crowded marketplace. I own a Priority Current and Evelo Omega (Evelo is located in the Seattle metropolitan area. Perhaps you can pay them a visit). In many respects, both are more similar than different, but the differences are still meaningful, and I could make a persuasive case for either bike.

The only other bike from your list that I've been on is the Aventon Level, but that was the Level 1, with a cadence sensor. A friend recently purchased a Level 2 (after owning the Level 1 that I rode) but returned it because the display lacked an easily accessible odometer/trip meter. That would have been a deal breaker for myself as well (I'm always mindful of distance when I cycle. It's more important to me than speed, but we all have a different concerns).

I will say I've been spoiled by the belt drive and IGH on both the Priority and Evelo, and those attributes would be large boxes on my checklist. Again, we all have different priorities and I do not care to debate them. The Priority Current lacks a throttle, but with absolutely zero power lag, I've never missed it. In my estimation, a throttle could come in handy on certain kinds of bikes, but a torque sensing mid drive isn't one of them, unless you absolutely love the idea of having a Moped mode on your bike. (No snark intended).

Last edited:
Choosing the right e-bike can be an exciting but challenging process given the wide variety of options available. Based on your preferences and requirements, here are a few recommendations and some general buying advice to help you make an informed decision:

1. Rad Power Bikes RadCity/ RadRover: Rad Power Bikes offers a range of affordable and reliable e-bikes suitable for recreation and errands. The RadCity and RadRover models have detachable batteries, fenders, and racks as optional accessories. They provide good performance and value for the price.
  2. Giant Quick-E+: The Giant Quick-E+ is a popular choice among e-bike enthusiasts. It offers a comfortable ride, good hill-climbing capability, and a removable battery. The Quick-E+ comes in different frame sizes, including smaller options suitable for riders of your height.
  3. Yamaha CrossConnect: The Yamaha CrossConnect is a versatile e-bike designed for urban commuting and recreational use. It features a mid-drive motor for efficient power transfer, a detachable battery, fenders, and a rear rack. The small frame size should accommodate your height comfortably.
When considering your options, it's important to test ride the bikes if possible to get a feel for their handling and comfort. Additionally, check the availability of local bike shops that can service the e-bike you choose, especially if you prefer professional assistance for maintenance and repairs.

In terms of general buying advice, here are a few key considerations:

• Motor and Battery: Look for a mid-drive motor system as they provide better power and torque for climbing hills. Consider the battery capacity and range to ensure it meets your desired distance requirements.
  • Frame Size and Fit: Since you mentioned needing a small frame size, prioritize finding an e-bike that offers a comfortable fit and proper riding position for your height.
  • Test Rides and Reviews: If possible, test ride different models to assess their performance and handling. Additionally, read customer reviews and watch YouTube videos to gather more insights and feedback on the specific models you're interested in.
  • Warranty and After-Sales Support: Check the warranty coverage and after-sales support offered by the manufacturer to ensure you have assistance if any issues arise.
Remember to prioritize safety by wearing a helmet and familiarizing yourself with local e-bike regulations and laws. Enjoy your e-bike adventures in the beautiful PNW!
Was this written by ChatGPT or similar? Or copy and pasted from somewhere? If so, it’d be helpful to disclose that. (And if not, my apologies).

my buying advice would be to go to a local bike shop and buy one there. Dandelion Bikes in the Central District is fantastic. REI is good too. Talk to folks there and buy what they're selling. Unless they sell ebikes, other bike shops may not be able/want to work on ebikes.

Check out the Espin Flow. It's a step through, Comes in a small or medium frame, has fenders, lights, and front and rear racks. REI (which shouldn't be a problem to locate in Seattle 😁) will service it. I bought mine online, but they may have some dealers down your way. It's been trouble-free for 2+ years, except for a couple of minor issues, which REI fixed and Espin quickly paid for. Espin customer service has been excellent, for me.

I have one in NC that I've been very happy with, and am confident it could handle the hills around my permanent home on Whidbey Island.

I have a Giant (now Momentum) La Free E+ here in the PNW, because I was nervous about buying online for my first bike. It also nicely handles all the hills on Whidbey! But, I do miss the throttle on my Flow when I'm riding in traffic and need to get going pretty quickly from a stop 😉.

What did you decide? I recently bought the Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ and considered a LOT of options. My husband is an analog bike guy and he really convinced me to go with a "name" brand cycling company behind the e-bike. Recent popular Dutch e-bike maker VanMoof went bankrupt and used a lot of proprietary parts so service and support is going to be a headache for those riders, potentially making their bikes obsolete. I was able to buy from an established LBS and the bike is awesome. Highly recommend. Next month, we will be doing some cycling in Croatia and I'll be on the Trek Verve for that trip. If I have any feedback on it, I'll let you know.

I just decided to go with the Gazelle Ultimate T10+. Gazelle doesn't seem like they will be going anywhere soon, they make solid bikes, and with their current sale, I upped my budget. They are also made with standard parts, so I'm hoping service will be easy enough to come by.

But definitely test ride as many styles as you can--so many choices.

Hey all

I've been a casual cyclist for a few years and currently reside in the Seattle area. I'm looking to buy my first ebike to use for recreation and errands. For the last few months I've been researching what would be a good buy, but have felt overwhelmed with the huge selection of highly recommended models from all sorts of blogs and youtube channels.

Would love to be able to make ~30mi roundtrips while being able to pedal assist up the hills you'll find in the PNW. I think detachable battery would be preferred, but not a dealbreaker if the battery was internal but the bike was light. Fenders/rack are nice to haves. Also need a small frame size as I'm 5'3.

Some models I've looked at thus far:
- Priority Current (through Costco)
- Aventon Level.2
- Specialized Turbo Vado/Como
- Trek FX/Verve

I have a fairly flexible budget, but because I won't be using it as a mission critical daily commuter I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on the higher end established manufacturer models.

Would love any recommendations and general buying advice. I haven't personally worked on my own bikes much, outside of cleaning/lubing a chain - so being able to service it in a shop would be nice. With that said, I'm open to learning too.

Thanks in advance
We have the Aventon Level 2 and it is great. We have the step thru and based on your height, I would highly recommend it....

Back