52V Lithium battery pack for 48V controller

leandro1883

Hi. I bought a 48V 1000W rear hub motor from ebay to build an ebike but I want to assembly a 52V lithium battery pack. I know the motor will do fine, my concern is that the controller says 36V-48V (26A max). A 48V battery pack is 54.6V when fully charged and a 52V is 58.8V when fully charged. I'm not planning on fully charging the pack all the time since I know the batteries last longer if charged 80-90%. But I will fully charge it twice a month for balancing purposes. Can anyone tell me if has been tried with this ebay kit? Thanks in advance

All you can do is try it but your LCD dashboard will not work right as far as your battery voltage readings and such. Worse case scenario is you have to buy a different controller and their fairly inexpensive but you won't hurt anything else. It works on most that are 48v compatible but nobody will guarantee it to work. Just don't ask the company you bought it from as they may replace it if it burns up if they don't know, other wise it will void any kind of warranty it may have. That's my 2 cents.

thanks man. That's what I'm going to do
You could get a nice controller that would handle what you want from grin tech which is actually ebikes.ca . If you really want a nice one go for the phase runner. Expensive but worth it. They have some more reasonably priced options too check em out.

I just check them and men they are expensive AF. lol. I guess you have to pay for quality. I will try mine anyways and if I fry it, I will go from there. Thanks for your help

Need to look at the numbers on controller parts. 60V rated mosfets and 63V rated capacitors, this is the minimum for a 52 v battery. This would give you a idea if it can handle it without burning it up. MOSFET you may need to use number to look up voltage not sure they all show the number on part.

Thanks, that's actually a great idea, I will take it apart and find out. that one is waterproof I believe, do you think it will damage the seal if I open it?

The seal is ok (you could add it back also if you want) but if it has all that melted stuff on it you will likely not be able to see anything. You could try emailing to manufacturer of controller not bike company and see if they answer.

Attachments

• IMG_2038.JPG
    IMG_2038.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,174
ok, I will open it to see if I'm lucky enough and if it has that green stuff i'll try to contact the manufacturer. Thanks for your time and input

When
ok, I will open it to see if I'm lucky enough and if it has that green stuff i'll try to contact the manufacturer. Thanks for your time and input
You put it back together just add some silicon around the edges and it should be fine.

Hi. I bought a 48V 1000W rear hub motor from ebay to build an ebike but I want to assembly a 52V lithium battery pack. I know the motor will do fine, my concern is that the controller says 36V-48V (26A max). A 48V battery pack is 54.6V when fully charged and a 52V is 58.8V when fully charged. I'm not planning on fully charging the pack all the time since I know the batteries last longer if charged 80-90%. But I will fully charge it twice a month for balancing purposes. Can anyone tell me if has been tried with this ebay kit? Thanks in advance
The controller you have is OK but will be maxed out if you do hills. The 26 Amp max is the MOST it can handle at peak draw. Good news is the ebay kits will be 1000 watts peak and more like 750 flat.

thanks for your answer. I haven't been able to work on that project but I will try all your recommendations. luckily Is pretty flat where I'm planning on riding the bike

Back