Converted my Turbo Vado SL 5 to a Drop Bar

SwimBikeRun

Region
USA
This project has been on my bucket list for quite some time now. I finally converted my SL 5.0 to a drop bar. I went with SRAM Rival AXS and a AXS GX Rear Derailleur (mullet setup). For the bars I went with REDSHIFT's Kitchen sink and their ergo grips. It was a fairly straightforward process; I did have to remove the motor to remove and install the new hydro lines however. First shake down ride was great. I'm enjoying the relaxed riding position, but still can get low on the drops.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 635
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    366.6 KB · Views: 598
  • 1JPG.JPG
    1JPG.JPG
    493.8 KB · Views: 716
I really like the brown/black combo. 👍
Were you able to keep the original calipers?
Thank You, I have a new brooks saddle should match great but I, not ready to go through the break in process yet lol.

Sadly I needed to replace the calipers since the tekro ones are mineral based and sram are DOT 5.1

I've been pondering doing the same conversion with my newly purchased Giant Escape. I bought this inexpensive, acoustic commuter bike mainly for my indoor trainer, but I'd also like to turn it into a DYI e-road bike.
My only concern is how switching from a flat bar to drop bar will affect the bike's handling.
One thing for sure is if I do the swap I'll order another Ritchey WCS Venturemax gravel handlebar. I have this bar on my Cannondale e-gravel bike and love it.
I also really like Redshifts bar.

Nice mods! What Brooks saddle are you going with?
Thank you, I have a B17 but decided to go with the C17 Cambium since I plan to use this bike more for bike packing.

Attachments

• 54B7A25C-85C6-466D-9837-42A8C4E7387D.jpeg
    54B7A25C-85C6-466D-9837-42A8C4E7387D.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 192
I've been pondering doing the same conversion with my newly purchased Giant Escape. I bought this inexpensive, acoustic commuter bike mainly for my indoor trainer, but I'd also like to turn it into a DYI e-road bike.
My only concern is how switching from a flat bar to drop bar will affect the bike's handling.
One thing for sure is if I do the swap I'll order another Ritchey WCS Venturemax gravel handlebar. I have this bar on my Cannondale e-gravel bike and love it.
I also really like Redshifts bar.
It definitely takes some getting used to, but I think the mostly depends on if you ride drop bars often. Redshift also makes some 53cm bars which look and feel huge in person. Those Venturemax bars are nice as well.

My Ritchey bars are 42cm, which is just about perfect for my shoulder width.
I watch a youtube bike fitter's videos where he talks about ways to get a better riding position, with fewer aches and pains. When it comes to handlebars he says most people ride bikes with handlebars that are too wide for them.
My concern is going with a drop bar might extend my reach or bring it closer to me, which could upset the bike's handling. A solution could be to change the stem length, but I have a RedShift shock-stop suspension stem and wouldn't want to have to replace it with another one, since they're on the pricey side.

You’re exactly correct on most bars being too wide, on my tri bike I run 40cm to get nice and tucked in. This also reminds me I need to swap my crank arms on the SL to 165

You’re exactly correct on most bars being too wide, on my tri bike I run 40cm to get nice and tucked in. This also reminds me I need to swap my crank arms on the SL to 165
Swim how’s the converted SL going for you a year in? Still liking the drop bars? How’s the geo difference feel now & any changes you made since? Would love to see new pics if you’re still in drop bar mode!

Back