2023 Trek Domane+

Tyson

Review of the 2023 Trek Domane+

https://cyclingtips.com/2022/10/2023-trek-domane-plus-e-road-bike-review/

Trek never released a 2022 lineup of the Domane+. The 2023 switched to a German brand "TQ" for their motor (dropping Fazua and Bosch)

The TQ motor is 50 Nm where the Bosch was 85 Nm, but the overall bike is almost 10 pounds lighter in some configurations than the 2020/2021 Bosch offering. The nice thing about the Bosch was that it is a very common platform so support and parts are widely available and I expect good future support, where this is the first time I am learning about "TQ". This TQ motor is nice and small so for a mid-drive bike it makes for a nice overall integration and 50 Nm should be sufficient for what riders in this category are looking for.

The link is a very thorough review. There are others, but this seemed the most informative.

Well the 2023 Domane +SLR series has a 360 WH battery, versus 500WH for my Bosch powered Domane +HP. 2021 bike. Don't like the motor assist controls on the top tube. I like my Kiox display and control module buttons on left side of handlebar.
Also, as mentioned, new TQ motor is only 50nm versus 85 nm for my Domane +HP. My Domane +HP is rated for up to 600 Watts peak power, the new Domane 300 Watts.
Bosch motors are pretty standard in Europe, as are their batteries. So hopefully my industry standard , Class 3 Bosch Performance Line speed motor will have software upgrades and support into the future. Price difference, for 2023 bike, as tested was twice what I paid. I can deal with the extra 10lbs, as I don't have to climb long stairs.
I'm very happy with my 2021 Domane +Hp bike. Enjoying long rides in the Fall colors here in Vermont.
link here to my 2021 bike specs

Trek Domane+HP (my bike)

riding Trek E-bike.jpegP1090225.JPG Full charge 94 mile range in ECO.jpeg

Last edited:
Well the 2023 Domane +SLR series has a 360 WH battery, versus 500WH for my Bosch powered Domane +HP. 2021 bike. Don't like the motor assist controls on the top tube. I like my Kiox display and control module buttons on left side of handlebar.
Also, as mentioned, new TQ motor is only 50nm versus 85 nm for my Domane +HP. My Domane +HP is rated for up to 600 Watts peak power, the new Domane 300 Watts.
Bosch motors are pretty standard in Europe, as are their batteries. So hopefully my industry standard , Class 3 Bosch Performance Line speed motor will have software upgrades and support into the future. Price difference, for 2023 bike, as tested was twice what I paid. I can deal with the extra 10lbs, as I don't have to climb long stairs.
I'm very happy with my 2021 Domane +Hp bike. Enjoying long rides in the Fall colors here in Vermont.
Trek Domane+HP (my bike)View attachment 138153View attachment 138152
Your e-bike is certainly not that lightweight?

I remember reading about the original TQ motor which was a lot more powerful, I think it was 120 nm of torque. I recall the design sounded really nice, but it was hard to find bikes with that motor and quite frankly it was way more power than I want on an ebike.

I’m glad Trek partnered with them to make this smaller, lighter and more compact version of the motor. It’s around the power level I want and I love the light weight. The lighter the bikes get the more they ride like a regular bike.

The top versions of the new Domane+ weigh between 26 and 27 lbs. That’s amazing when you think that back in the 80s top level pro tour bikes were 22-23 lbs, I mean this isn’t a lot more and it has a motor and battery!

I’m really excited about this new Domane+ - I actually plan on selling my Creo and buying a Domane in the future. It won’t happen right away, but I’ll keep my eye on this bike. Ideally I’d like to see what initial quality and reliability for this bike is.

Your e-bike is certainly not that lightweight?
37 lbs for my Carbon Frame Domane +HP . 2021 bike in a 58 cm frame. Oh, and my Trek, with mechanical shifter (rear derailleur only) was $6700 US.

I thought that was expensive, but look at the prices for the new Domanes !:oops:

Last edited:
Really nice looking, but hard to believe the pricing on some of these.

Really nice looking, but hard to believe the pricing on some of these.
they’re actually a very good deal compared to similarly specified high end non-electric road bikes.

many bikes with 12 speed dura ace are 12-14k, no motor, no battery!

i do think trek will have to come out with some lower end, possibly aluminum or maybe mechanical shifting versions to more fully compete with specialized. but bike makers often start with the higher end trims and work down.

I really like this bike too and it would be an excellent replacement for my Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0. I might even sell my e-gravel bike (Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3-Bosch motor) too.
Canadian prices haven't been posted on Trek's Canadian website yet, but I suspect even the least expensive carbon model will be around $13,000 Can. That's $5,000 more than my 2020 carbon framed Lefty 3. :(

The lack of a system akin to the Specialized Future Shock would steer me away from this bike. I suppose I could add a Redshift stem (assuming it would fit), but that would likely add weight. I also believe the Creo offers better range, which for me translates to using more assist when needed (hey, I’m old and broken down 😂).

I also found it interesting that the review mentioned noticeable drag when riding without assist. That’s a subjective comment, so I’m not sure it would be worse than the Creo, but I’d certainly want a test ride to decide for myself. Is it possible that this drag is why it offers less range than the Creo?

Bottom line is that while this looks like a decent bike, and I’d love to try one out just for kicks, I don’t see any compelling reason to replace my Creo.

I also found it interesting that the review mentioned noticeable drag when riding without assist. That’s a subjective comment, so I’m not sure it would be worse than the Creo, but I’d certainly want a test ride to decide for myself. Is it possible that this drag is why it offers less range than the Creo?

hmm! that would be a total deal breaker for me. that would be a huge miss if the design of the TQ motor drags when unpowered. i can’t imagine there wasn’t a way to stick a clutch in there…

hmm! that would be a total deal breaker for me. that would be a huge miss if the design of the TQ motor drags when unpowered. i can’t imagine there wasn’t a way to stick a clutch in there…
Well, as I said, it is a subjective opinion from the reviewer, so we can’t yet be certain it is a correct statement. But, it could be a compromise, made in order to reduce the motor size and weight.

Either way, I just don’t see this bike being superior to the Creo. However, the increased torque (50Nm versus Creo’s 35Nm) will appeal to some, and some may find it’s geometry to be a better fit, so it’s good to see another offering in the lightweight road ebike category.

Well, as I said, it is a subjective opinion from the reviewer, so we can’t yet be certain it is a correct statement. But, it could be a compromise, made in order to reduce the motor size and weight.

Either way, I just don’t see this bike being superior to the Creo. However, the increased torque (50Nm versus Creo’s 35Nm) will appeal to some, and some may find it’s geometry to be a better fit, so it’s good to see another offering in the lightweight road ebike category.

it has some significant advantages. slightly lighter, quieter, narrower q-factor, 2x drivetrains including new 12 speed options, bigger battery and more torque.

but the proof is in the pudding!

TQ Motor off resistance:
I saw one tech article on the TQ system which said the only drag without motor was the case seals.
They said it was very little drag.

Agree with the comments that the bike is quite expensive. I know it doesn't make financial sense and because of that I might just buy a regular Domane. But, as I approach retirement I think I might get a Domane+ as my retirement gift to myself. But we'll see. That's still a few years away and I want to see what new product comes to market, how reliable the TQ motor is, etc ......

The Creo is nice, but this bike just seems that much nicer.

it has some significant advantages. slightly lighter, quieter, narrower q-factor, 2x drivetrains including new 12 speed options, bigger battery and more torque.

but the proof is in the pudding!
Yes, I have to agree that it does offer some advantages. However, as to the drivetrain, I’m quite happy with my Creo’s SRAM 12 speed system (46T chainring and 10-50 cassette). Also, this bike offers less range than the Creo, so the larger battery is irrelevant.

i do think trek will have to come out with some lower end, possibly aluminum or maybe mechanical shifting versions to more fully compete with specialized. but bike makers often start with the higher end trims and work down.
IIRC the Creo SL launched in 2019 with models priced $9000 -$17000, so Trek is right in line esp considering the specialized pricing was pre pandemic as well.

Will be interesting to find out what real life range is. If 60 mile range is in eco and going 25kph, than it may not have great range for those who want to go at class 3 speeds or with higher assist.

Actually I went back and looked at the prices on the US website and I think the reason the Domane+ is so expensive is the frame material.

If you look at the regular Domane SLR 6 with 105 Di2 and it's $8k US, the Domane+ SLR6 with 105 Di2 is $9k, so the motorized version is only $1k more. That's actually not much of a price premium at all. In fact, I know it will sound weird, but that's a pretty good deal. I think what people on this forum want is the TQ 50 motor in a lower grade carbon frame or even an aluminum one.

The Domane SL6 with 105 Di2 is only $4,700 US. So if Trek kept the same $1k price premium for the motorized version and made a Domane+ SL6 for $5,700 US I think that would be a reasonable price for what it is.

So I'm hoping the Domane+ will be made with SL or even AL frames which would bring the cost down quite considerably.

The Domane SL6 Gen 4 in Canada goes for $9,700 (Can). If Trek Canada listed the Di2 ebike version for something like $1600 more that would make it around $10,300 (fingers crossed)
That's still expensive, but with the addition of carbon wheels I have $9,000 (Can) into my Cannondale Lefty 3 e-gravel bike, so an extra $1300 wouldn't be outrageous.

Deacon, we can only hope. Then we'll get our Domane+ and I'll jump on the ferry over to Vancouver Island and we'll go for that ride we've been talking about.

Oh, and I think you mean the SLR6 Gen 4 is $9,700 as I think the SL6 Gen 4 is $6,600. If Trek made a Domane+ SL6 for say $8k Canadian I would be all over it.

Back