Juiced Ripcurrent S - Can The Torque/Cadence Sensor Be Repaired??

PappyD

Region
USA
City
Westfield, Indiana
I have a 2021 Juiced Ripcurrent S with the rear hub mounted cadence/torque sensor. Fixed a flat and when replacing the rear tireI had the spacer on the wrong side of the rear frame. Checked that the tire would rotate and - bam- the damage was done. The smallest cog on the cassette rubbed the little pad.....

I damaged the "little pad" on the sensor. The pad is supposed to be the cadence sensor. My pad is scuffed just like the one in the image from the Juiced website.
See pic. The remedy from Juiced tech support is to buy a new one. (They are Out of Stock too.....)

Is there a way to repair this? Upon close inspection it just looks like the plastic cover is torn. But nontheless - the torque sensor will not work.

Any ideas? Drop some solder on the broken area?

Pappy

PS. I posted this on another forum.

Attachments

• sensor.jpeg
    sensor.jpeg
    460.6 KB · Views: 367
Maybe 2 small non-stainless sheet metal screws screwed down next to each other into pre-drilled holes? Then file/grind the heads down if needed. (ignore the squiggly blue line)

1663797137615.png

Maybe 2 small non-stainless sheet metal screws screwed down next to each other into pre-drilled holes? Then file/grind the heads down if needed. (ignore the squiggly blue line)

View attachment 135910
That whole block is a torque sensor, you can't drill into it, that would destroy it.

I have a 2021 Juiced Ripcurrent S with the rear hub mounted cadence/torque sensor. Fixed a flat and when replacing the rear tireI had the spacer on the wrong side of the rear frame. Checked that the tire would rotate and - bam- the damage was done. The smallest cog on the cassette rubbed the little pad.....

I damaged the "little pad" on the sensor. The pad is supposed to be the cadence sensor. My pad is scuffed just like the one in the image from the Juiced website.
See pic. The remedy from Juiced tech support is to buy a new one. (They are Out of Stock too.....)

Is there a way to repair this? Upon close inspection it just looks like the plastic cover is torn. But nontheless - the torque sensor will not work.

Pappy

It looks like a TMM4 torque sensor.

They aren't the only brand using them. I don't know if you can buy that damaged piece, but contact the manufacturer and ask.

Just a sampling of their many offerings.

Screenshot_20220921-181127_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. Not sure what I will do- just trying to understand how the "little pad" works in the overall scheme. My understanding of the cadence sensor is that it measures cycles or revolutions, etc. Little magnet that signals....

The mfr's part #. TOSS2A-11T-150mm-2106-0056. I'm thinking the "11T" must reference the gear teeth on the cassette. 150mm could be the spacing.

For now, it's a $200 mistake on my part. Annoying that Juiced is out of stock as well.
Update: Thanks JR - TMM4 fro IDBIke. Looks like they are in the Netherlands.

Last edited:

Pappy

Stupid Axle Spacers ! I haven't got a solution to your dilemma except to recommend a good avionics/bike mechanic which likely is gonna be hard to find. I would personally "ohm out" the receptacle and contact juiced with the findings to see if it's electrically sound. If it's good electrically I'd find some sort of semi-hard coating to weatherproof things and try to re-install it.
I did a similar stunt with the axle anti-rotation spacers and put one on the wrong side of the frame. I ended up pushing a Motor Seal out of position, but it still works and doesn't leak. Guess I just got lucky.
Yea, if the sensor assy is still electrically functional then find some sort of rubberized Super Glue or Epoxy that'll stick. Most epoxy's need a clean and slightly rough/porous surface to stay stuck. Good Luck!

Thanks Uuzd4S....

"Surface604" is an ebike company up in Canada. They have a torque sensor that appears to be nearly identical to the Juiced product. I'm going to call them and see if it might work. It has the same gearing (11teeth). I'l need to learn more about the setup parameters for a torque sensor. The 604 sensor is $129 and in stock. The Juiced sensor still shows "out of stock". C'mon Juiced - is this a supply chain issue?

Thanks Uuzd4S....

"Surface604" is an ebike company up in Canada. They have a torque sensor that appears to be nearly identical to the Juiced product. I'm going to call them and see if it might work. It has the same gearing (11teeth). I'l need to learn more about the setup parameters for a torque sensor. The 604 sensor is $129 and in stock. The Juiced sensor still shows "out of stock". C'mon Juiced - is this a supply chain issue?
That's sorta Good News. Juiced has opted to build their bikes as "Pro priority" as possible, and even the "standard" name brand components are usually discontinued, out of production, unavailable in the US or completely unique to Juiced even when the bike is new. When I'd purchased my RipCurrent S in 2019 that was true for the Shimano, Tektro, Modus and NECO components, all obsolete, out of production or discontinued. Wheels, batteries, all of it is hard to replace w/ OEM products w/o going thru Juiced. That's good for marketing but bad for the consumer. I'm glad to hear you've found a possible replacement torque/cadence sensor for this model E-Bike. I've got a few miles on my RipCurrent S, over 16K, and aftermarket parts are Always of interest to me.
I've replaced the Front Forks w/ Bolany's and refurbished, cleaned and re-lubed everything on the bike last winter except for the Bottom Bracket & Chainring, which will get done this coming winter. What amazes me most is the BAFANG Motor is still holding up. Gonna go for 20K and replace it regardless, probably mid-season next year. The RipCurrent has already been updated to a 1000W Motor with changes to the Shifting and Braking systems among others I'm sure. Parts will likely be hard to come by in another yr or two so I'm stocking up.
Hope you get back on the road soon!

Again Uuzd45-thanks.

Wow, 16k plus! I'm just over 1k now. I really like the bike - I did get a new Torque Sensor, no charge from Juiced early on. My Ripcurrent wasn't right from the beginning - the torque sensor was intermittent.. My wife's RCS was fine. In fact, while riding hers and realizing how smooth the torque/cadence assist was, it was clear that mine was faulty. Put the new one and all was good.

Taking the rear wheel off and not putting the axle spacer in the right place did me in. Pretty fragile piece of kit.

More concerning is seeing that Juiced is "out of stock" on several repair items. Makes me wonder what the grand plan is for product support. I worked for a small company that made repair parts take a back seat to all things new. I was the guy who had to explain to customers about the bad news when they needed something "after the warranty expired". I hope Juiced does the right thing.

Again Uuzd45-thanks.

Wow, 16k plus! I'm just over 1k now. I really like the bike - I did get a new Torque Sensor, no charge from Juiced early on. My Ripcurrent wasn't right from the beginning - the torque sensor was intermittent.. My wife's RCS was fine. In fact, while riding hers and realizing how smooth the torque/cadence assist was, it was clear that mine was faulty. Put the new one and all was good.

Taking the rear wheel off and not putting the axle spacer in the right place did me in. Pretty fragile piece of kit.

More concerning is seeing that Juiced is "out of stock" on several repair items. Makes me wonder what the grand plan is for product support. I worked for a small company that made repair parts take a back seat to all things new. I was the guy who had to explain to customers about the bad news when they needed something "after the warranty expired". I hope Juiced does the right thing.
Well, here's to hoping Juiced offer's some support on that Torque Sensor. I'm not sure where, but I've read of Torque/Cadence Sensor failures for this RipCurrent S somewhere else. I might find it here in EBR if I did a good search. I've been in commercial aviation maintenance for over two decades and I remember being the "Launch" Carrier for a new aircraft type. Yupper, even new airplanes have growing pains. Lots of software and electrical issues to deal with for the first yr. So, yea, I don't blame Juiced for having some development problems, ya just don't want too many.
So, I've developed a method for removing the Rear Wheel assy which involves placing small Zip Ties in appropriate places to keep spacers & anti-rotation washers in their "home" locations and from falling off the axle if I'm doing a flat repair in the weeds somewhere. (yea, I've dropped those little washers into the weeds B4 and it took as long to find them as to patch the tube : / I carry extra Zip Ties now. Actually, now that the subject of RipCurrent Spares are likely going to loose support, maybe I should pick up some of those specialized washers/spacers and an axle nut or two. I guess the Good News is the basic bike is still in production, with a larger motor and some aftermarket component changes. Not gonna panic for parts just yet.
Yea, 16K according to my "Bikeometer" and "Ride with GPS" apps. Actually, I didn't start recording my rides for the first two months w/ this RipCurrent so all I can say is; Thank You Inspector #5 with BAFANG! He/She did a pretty good inspection! I've flown R/C Aircraft for 30+ yr's and started with Helicopters (glutton for punishment I guess). One of them had the same type of Planetary Gearbox as this BAFANG Motor. So, I'm not afraid to rebuild it if necessary (yes, there are YT Video's on swapping gears for this motor), but I think I'll replace it w/ new and rebuild the original for a spare. Juiced wants $300 for a new replacement Bafang and $400 for a Motor & Wheel assy. I'll probably get the wheel assy as mine is out of round, wobbles and has a lot of "hanger rash" from tire/tube changes.
Let us know how the fix goes. Sounds like your in for a better running bike if the old Torque Sensor was acting up.
Happy Trails!

Ok -new update- Spoke with "Mike" at Surface604 (ebike company in Vancouver, BC). I had left them an online message on Monday morning and, wow, they called me live phone this morning! I had included information about the Juiced sensor, with the serial number too. Mike thinks their "universal" torque sensor will work. It's on all their new bikes. Looks like the same sensor as offered from Juiced. Anyway, $129 plus $15 shipping. About $50 bucks less than what Juiced wants - (if they had stock to ship)

So I'll have another update after I CAREFULLY install the new one!

Attached is a pick of the Surface604 sensor

Pappy

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 9.04.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 9.04.44 PM.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 212
Sad to report, but the replacement torque sensor from Surface604 in BC is not a match. Their customer surface was/is great as "Mike" was very helpful.

I've attached a pic comparing the 2 sensors. The "604" sensor was smaller and the mounting holes were off by a few mm's in different directions. I might have been able to get it mounted but not without some drilling and probably damaging the part beyond repair.

Anyways - I hope this helps someone else down the road!

Pappy
20221003_134130.jpg

Sad to report, but the replacement torque sensor from Surface604 in BC is not a match. Their customer surface was/is great as "Mike" was very helpful.

I've attached a pic comparing the 2 sensors. The "604" sensor was smaller and the mounting holes were off by a few mm's in different directions. I might have been able to get it mounted but not without some drilling and probably damaging the part beyond repair.

Anyways - I hope this helps someone else down the road!

Pappy
View attachment 136997
Yea, it's not in Juiced DNA to use "Universal" parts. Even when new, my 2019 RipCurrent S was built with obsolete Shimano Derailleur & Tektro brakes, Modus Wheel hub and NECO Steer tube parts. Everything else unique to E-bikes is either unavailable in the US or custom built for Juiced. Ur pretty much forced to go to Juiced for parts. Not Good for out of production Juiced Bikes (like my RipCurrent S among others models). On top of that, it's more than difficult to get a response/reply from Juiced Tech/Parts people. I'm told they're very busy due to the large increase in E-Bike sales recently. So, I now try to anticipate what I may be needing and order Well ahead of time.
Got an old 750W motor that's got a lot of miles on it, and the Rear Wheel was never trued very well. So I'll likely buy the assy for $400 bucks ($300 for a motor w/o the wheel).
Thanks for the intel PappyD, it was helpful!

Explorer-1,

They have the sensors in stock now. $200.... The bike is right at the 1 year mark, and the previous 2 sensors didn't last....so I'm not spending more....

I started 2 "customer service" queries to get help on the sensor. It took 2 weeks to get an actual reply...which was a request for more information and/or pictures. I sent another query which stated all the previous problems I've had with the initial sensor and the 2nd sensor. (Again, the 2nd sensor worked great for 3 months?)
Between the 2 queries I had a survey sent to me asking about "my experience...and was my issue solved". Sadly, Juiced is wrapped up in a customer service nightmare, where everything is handled with "positive indifference". My last email included all my order info for the 2 bikes we have, as well as the dismal service we have experienced for our 5K investment. I have not heard from them. My phone cons with them have been short with several "we'll get back with you" and then crickets..
I would be their biggest fan, if they would fix the issue. I think they had a bad lot of sensors and I got 2 of them. I'm very careful with my "toys" and know that stuff needs care and maintenance, etc, to keep running. Too bad, for Juiced, as I have steered people away from the brand, based on my experience.

Reactions: SKD
It does seem like their after sales service and dismal parts supply is still hurting them. Really sad as they make some good bikes, Sorry to hear abbot your troubles. Not many Jucied customers hang out here anymore.

Explorer-1,

They have the sensors in stock now. $200.... The bike is right at the 1 year mark, and the previous 2 sensors didn't last....so I'm not spending more....

I started 2 "customer service" queries to get help on the sensor. It took 2 weeks to get an actual reply...which was a request for more information and/or pictures. I sent another query which stated all the previous problems I've had with the initial sensor and the 2nd sensor. (Again, the 2nd sensor worked great for 3 months?)
Between the 2 queries I had a survey sent to me asking about "my experience...and was my issue solved". Sadly, Juiced is wrapped up in a customer service nightmare, where everything is handled with "positive indifference". My last email included all my order info for the 2 bikes we have, as well as the dismal service we have experienced for our 5K investment. I have not heard from them. My phone cons with them have been short with several "we'll get back with you" and then crickets..
I would be their biggest fan, if they would fix the issue. I think they had a bad lot of sensors and I got 2 of them. I'm very careful with my "toys" and know that stuff needs care and maintenance, etc, to keep running. Too bad, for Juiced, as I have steered people away from the brand, based on my experience.
Hey PappyD, couldn't agree more. I've had aa VERY rocky Customer Service experience with Juiced going back to 2019. It started with a major component problem with the RipCurrent S right outta the box. The advertised Front Forks at the time of purchase (Black Friday 2019 sale) were swapped out for something different. The substitute FForks were either assembled poorly or made from very cheezy components as they Twisted Very badly to the Brake Rotor side and made loud clunking noises when braking moderately. I later found the original advertised MOZO Front Forks from a Chinese warehouse site advertised for $28 bucks each if you buy 100 of them. So, even at $28 bucks they were still making a profit meaning these were produced pretty cheaply.
Went back and forth w/ Juiced thru Tech Service e-mails and phone calls in the spring of 2020 and it never got resolved. I found out after months of wrangling w/ Juiced that others who had purchased a RipCurrent S at the same Black Friday sale had their FForks swapped also for a No Label, No Name brand, AND, theirs's had Broken into pieces with normal braking. To be Fair here, I told juiced that I'd try and video the Fork twist and clunking noises with my cell phone. I dropped my phone twice, nearly destroying it and nearly crashed in the process. I gave up on trying to film the problem. So, Jiuced Recommended I take my RipCurrent S to an independent Bike Shop in Portland Ore. I don't have a Van or Truck and live north of the Columbia River in Washington St meaning an expensive 2x Truck rental just for Mechanics opinion. Doing so would have likely ended my claim one way or another but I decided to spend the Truck Rental Money on an aftermarket set of Bolany Fat Bike Front Fork from Amazon. They're still working very well after over 15K miles and several "panic stops". The original Front Forks have less than a mile on them and are in a box gathering dust. I've a lot of experience fixing & repairing Bikes. I work in Maintenance QC for a Major Air Carrier in a VERY Large Hanger. Over the yrs many have contributed their old bicycles to our "fleet" of about a Dozen bikes. The Mechanics, Leads and Supervisors use these bikes extensively for maaking rounds to other planes, parts window, lead offices, engine shop etc. WE, in QC, are the designated repair and storage area for these beater bikes. I work on Planes and work on Bikes not to mention and was a MillWright in Alaska before that. I fix troubleshoot and fix many different things, it's what I do for a living. I don't think my assessment of the OEM Front Forks on this RipCurrent was too far from reality imho. But, Like I said, Juiced had a reasonable solution w/ the Independant review and I didn't follow thru after weighing my alternatives.
My experience this last Summer over a worn out Front ChainRing at the Crank Set. After over a Dozen Tech Requests for availability and price, I never got a Reply, not once. I got on the phone after around the 8th Tech/Cust Svc request and had my call dropped three times after being told I was next in line for a response for 15 min each time. The 4th call got through and they already had my acct pulled up on computer, meaning they screen calls. I was Immediately told the ChainRings were in stock, then placed on hold and then told the parts Weren't in stock ? The Tech was very friendly and said he'd have a Shop Mech rob a new chainRing off a new RipCurrent S, and call me the following day. He never did call back but, I got an Invoice by mail the next day which I paid for immediately. The e-mail explained they had a New ChainRing w/ the Crank Arms boxed up and waiting for my payment. It sat in their Shipping Dept for Ten days before finally being shipped, meaning it took over 9 Weeks to get this part from Juiced. : /
So, after my fun trying to obtain a ChainRing from Juiced I fixed the Customer Service/Tech Support problem by stepping outside the box, reassessing my approach to Juiced and trying a NEW approach. It worked and we, Juiced and myself, have started afresh. I don't have a Dispute w/ Juiced and I Really Do Like my RipCurrent S. I'll likely buy a new Motor/Wheel Assy from them before this one fails. After 16K, I'm not hearing any unusual noised from the planetary gearset, but it's an enclosed system meaning I can't lube or inspect the Motor. There Are vid's on YT showing a gearset replacement procedure for this BAFANG motor, but it's kind of "hacker" style and I don't know where to pick up a new gearset. They want $399 bucks for a New Motor/Wheel assy and $299 for the motor alone. I'll likely go for the Assy.
As usual I went long on explanation (a habbit they ingrain into you in Aviation Maint), so my apologies for that. I appreciate your experience and feedback, it may help down the road.
Happy Trails ! bw

Pappy

Also have the RipCurrent. When I fixed my first flat I also damaged the torque sensor. They replaced it under warranty(only had the bike for a week). IMPORTANT: Have NO air in the tire when putting the tire on. With no air you clear the gears and derailer. Still a close fit. Hope this helps.

Back