DEW-E vrs EL Kahona

StuartKuz

Region
USA
City
Longmont CO
The lighter weight to price ratios have me focused on Kona for riding mostly gravel paths and country roads, but also asphalt. My current Trek 6000 with 26x1.95 tires, Michelin 559s get thrown around a lot on the graveled paths, so I'm thinking the DEW-E DL would need wider tires. The wash board dirt roads speak well for the El Kahuna's front suspension. The large knobby tires seem like they would add weight and create a racket on all the asphalt and need to be replaced too. I'd like to test ride either, but there's little for a grown 6'3", 70+ year old to ride at any of the Colorado front range shops on the KonaWorld site. Anyone with more experience than me have suggestions or view points I should consider as I continue to look for test rides of the two?

(I have been focused on class 1, mid drive bikes under $4k)

I haven't ridden the El Kahuna but I love my Dew-e dl. My city streets have lots of irregularities so not so different from gravel. I've ridden it a fair amount on crushed gravel also. Sweet bike.

I’m curious how your test riding has gone.
Thanks for asking Downhiller!

Well, over the past 2 months, I've ridden 2021 Kona Dew-e which convinced me that I need front suspension for the washboard roads around here where much my riding is done. I rode an El Kahuna XL with 29" wheels, which fit nicely, rode well once I got over the fear of heights, moving from the 26" wheels on my Trek. When weighed, it was 48# without a rack, heavier than I expected. I would like to be able to ride without power for the most part, with power on hills that get steeper each year, and miles that get longer at the end of rides. I'd also like to be able to transport the bike on a trunk rack all seem to have a 35# bike limit. I've used my current Sarris to move my son's 41# Surly steel bike, so I think I'll be fine if I can remove an ebike battery and get it's weight down to 40ish lbs. So my new reqs- as if all are on any bike- class 1, mid motor, light weight, front suspension, removeable battery (Colorado winter), and oh yeah $4k limit. There are other details like gear range, display size, rack, stepthru frame (maybe)... but are even more flexible.

The ones I'm still trying to ride: Gazelle Madeo T10, Specialized Turbo Tero, Orbea Urrun, Co-op CTY e2.2. I'd welcome any other suggestions.

Others I have riden: Gazelle Ultimate T10+; Specialized Turbo Vado SL, Turbo Como SL; Orbea Kemen (best ride yet); Giant Roam E, Explore; Bulls EVO 10; Haibike HardNine 5, Trekking; Kona Dew-E+; and Haro Double Peak. I've been able to visit a lot of the LBSs and met a lot of good folks.

Yeah, I don't rush into things. With winter coming on strong, I'll probably wait until spring and see if indeed the trend is to lighter bikes, smaller motors (50-65Nm), with a variety of 'trim levels'. Some of my disorganized and unreliable notes are at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mCDF3GZcHtz2OCFvm9Us23TtE_xaUBdb0N4EUhLcOOc/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Thanks for asking Downhiller!

Well, over the past 2 months, I've ridden 2021 Kona Dew-e which convinced me that I need front suspension for the washboard roads around here where much my riding is done. I rode an El Kahuna XL with 29" wheels, which fit nicely, rode well once I got over the fear of heights, moving from the 26" wheels on my Trek. When weighed, it was 48# without a rack, heavier than I expected. I would like to be able to ride without power for the most part, with power on hills that get steeper each year, and miles that get longer at the end of rides. I'd also like to be able to transport the bike on a trunk rack all seem to have a 35# bike limit. I've used my current Sarris to move my son's 41# Surly steel bike, so I think I'll be fine if I can remove an ebike battery and get it's weight down to 40ish lbs. So my new reqs- as if all are on any bike- class 1, mid motor, light weight, front suspension, removeable battery (Colorado winter), and oh yeah $4k limit. There are other details like gear range, display size, rack, stepthru frame (maybe)... but are even more flexible.

The ones I'm still trying to ride: Gazelle Madeo T10, Specialized Turbo Tero, Orbea Urrun, Co-op CTY e2.2. I'd welcome any other suggestions.

Others I have riden: Gazelle Ultimate T10+; Specialized Turbo Vado SL, Turbo Como SL; Orbea Kemen (best ride yet); Giant Roam E, Explore; Bulls EVO 10; Haibike HardNine 5, Trekking; Kona Dew-E+; and Haro Double Peak. I've been able to visit a lot of the LBSs and met a lot of good folks.

Yeah, I don't rush into things. With winter coming on strong, I'll probably wait until spring and see if indeed the trend is to lighter bikes, smaller motors (50-65Nm), with a variety of 'trim levels'. Some of my disorganized and unreliable notes are at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mCDF3GZcHtz2OCFvm9Us23TtE_xaUBdb0N4EUhLcOOc/edit?usp=sharing
It’s not something to rush into for sure ! And researching is fun. I don’t yet know where I want to compromise. And that’s okay.

Back