We need trades people to build, make and service things. I know plumbers and welders making more than 100k a year. No loans to pay off. Get paid to learn.
Sure we do but to say they didn't get an education before they could get those high paying jobs is nonsense.

They either received that education in the military paid for by tax payers or attended a trade skill college which the loan relief program will help them pay off.

Those men/women also likely work for an Engineer that makes 5X what they do and attended college.

The 17 Best Welding Schools & Colleges in USA (2022)​

If those plumber and HVAC techs are working as an independent contractor they will need at least a 2 or 4 year degree in most states.

Architectural Draftsman here and I can tell you all about the higher education you need for that job.

With the infrastructure and renewable energy bill passed we will need lots of educated and skilled people to work on those projects and they will be making very good money!

Last edited:
After serving my country, I came home to a bad economy with skills that were not marketable, (mid 1970s).

Through the CETA program I was trained as a machinist, (Ronald Reagan eliminated CETA in the 1980s). From there I entered into a tool and die apprenticeship. As a Journeyman tool and die maker I was able to make a good living and pay higher taxes. I was also able to take additional courses that were reimbursed by my employer.

I was eventually matriculated into an engineering program and five years later, I became a mechanical engineer, (I have been extremely fortunate).

Long story over, the helpful hand from the government provided a leg up that allowed me to reach my potential and pay taxes at a rate that paid for the government’s help many times over. It was a small investment by the government that yielded a great return. How can that be a bad thing?

Last edited:
After serving my country, I came home to a bad economy with skills that were not marketable, (mid 1970s).

Through the CETA program I was trained as a machinist, (Ronald Reagan eliminated CETA in the 1980s). From there I entered into a tool and die apprenticeship. As a Journeyman tool and die maker I was able to make a good living and pay higher taxes. I was also able to take additional courses that were reimbursed by my employer.

I was eventually matriculated into an engineering program and five years later, I became a mechanical engineer, (I have been extremely fortunate).

Long story over, the helpful hand from the government provided a leg up that allowed me to reach my potential and pay taxes at a rate that paid for the government’s help many times over. It was a small investment by the government that yielded a great return. How can that be a bad thing?

Well said!

Exactly. Like most of us.
But I'd never consider hiring someone who takes out a loan and then demands that tax payers pay the debt. They can live and die on the street, as far as I'm concerned.
Makes sense, IQ of a Brick

Sure we do but to say they didn't get an education before they could get those high paying jobs is nonsense.
I said no such thing. That was my first in this thread. Do you just argue for the sake of it?

I said no such thing. That was my first in this thread. Do you just argue for the sake of it?
I suspect what @Solarcabin meant was that you're not going to get into a trade job making $100K tomorrow. If you have the requisite education perhaps you could be there quickly. Without the education your reference of 'getting paid to learn' implies either long term apprenticeship or learning/growing naturally through on-the-job work.

Hard work can absolutely pay off, but it is a longer path than starting with an education focused on a specific field. I'm hitting my 20 year work anniversary and work in financial compliance. It has been a path to get where I am, but I am here with just some college and no degree, making six figures. Happy to see that my hard work paid off, but equally happy to see younger team members being successful (and even helping them in that success) who made their way here through education, much of which I am sure was paid via student loans.

Back