Solarcabin

Region
USA
"Billions of dollars will head to states to deploy electric vehicle charging — and transportation groups want more than just cars to benefit.

E-bikes, scooters, and electric wheelchairs should be able to use EV chargers funded by the infrastructure law, transportation groups told the Biden administration. The Federal Highway Administration proposed regulations to set minimum standards for electric vehicle charging money in the law, and as the deadline closes Monday for comments on the proposal, groups are making a push for micromobility to be part of the conversation.

“Equity requires accommodating the vehicles used by those that might not have access to personal automobiles,” representatives of advocacy group Transportation for America told the agency.

More than 200 comments have been submitted to the department about the rulemaking as of Monday afternoon. The feedback around bikes and scooters increases pressure on the administration to focus on the electrification of the transportation sector beyond traditional cars.

The Transportation Department is reviewing state plans to access the $5 billion pot of EV charging money with the goal of approving them by Sept. 30. There were nearly 113,000 public EV charge point connectors in the US last year, according to data from BloombergNEF, but the system is plagued by faulty stations.

PeopleForBikes, the League of American Bicyclists, and the North American Bikeshare & Scootershare Association also want secure storage and charging for both personally owned and shared micromobility — which they say can be built from the electrification that supports EV chargers."

Note: I mostly charge at home with my own solar power but it would be nice if there were some charging stations I could use for longer riding adventures. If our tax money is used for these EV chargers then we should definitely be allowed to use them.

Your thoughts?

Equity is BS.
Equity- the quality of being fair and impartial.

Is that really what you meant?

If so do you think it would be right to discriminate against you for whatever reasons/excuses people come up with?

What color are your eyes?

Well today we are not serving food to that color eye, sorry you go without!

I don't have an issue with the idea in general, but ebike batteries are tiny in comparison to car batteries, and AFIAK generally don't have the circuitry and cooling for fast charging. The kind of infrastructure being installed for cars is massive overkill for ebikes. In addition, most of those charging stations are being placed along major highways and interstates where the do the most good for electric cars traveling long distances. Not really useful for electric bikes.

We just need standard 120v outlets, which are already pretty plentiful (though not always publicly accessible).

I don't have an issue with the idea in general, but ebike batteries are tiny in comparison to car batteries, and AFIAK generally don't have the circuitry and cooling for fast charging. The kind of infrastructure being installed for cars is massive overkill for ebikes. In addition, most of those charging stations are being placed along major highways and interstates where the do the most good for electric cars traveling long distances. Not really useful for electric bikes.

We just need standard 120v outlets, which are already pretty plentiful (though not always publicly accessible).
I see them placed in national parks: https://www.nps.gov/subjects/sustainability/electric-vehicles.htm

Many of them use solar power which is a nice bonus and I recharge my ebike from my solar power everyday.

More ebikers would visit those parks if they know they can recharge.

Not that hard to install a step down transformer for a 110 volt plug on an EV charger.

Lots more people will be riding ebikes so I see convenience stores and other stores will want these and may even allow free charging and put in bike racks so we can lock up our ebikes. A bike rack with charging outlets would be ideal.

If our tax money is paying for those chargers then they should be available to all EV users including ebikes IMO.

No argument. If the charger location makes sense for cyclists at least, adding some 120v outlets with bike racks is probably a rounding error in project cost.

At the moment, I'm unsure how heavily they would be used. It takes a few hours to charge one of my ebike batteries, though I haven't checked how much a 20min charge gets me. I know a lot of e-skate rides (my other hobby) plan stops at coffee shops or public outlets for charges, since they tend to have fairly short range.

No argument. If the charger location makes sense for cyclists at least, adding some 120v outlets with bike racks is probably a rounding error in project cost.

At the moment, I'm unsure how heavily they would be used. It takes a few hours to charge one of my ebike batteries, though I haven't checked how much a 20min charge gets me. I know a lot of e-skate rides (my other hobby) plan stops at coffee shops or public outlets for charges, since they tend to have fairly short range.
I also ride Escooters and was a skateboarder in the 70's back before long boards, fat trucks and helmets, lol!

Last edited:

I can recommend an electric longboard if you want to revisit your youth and possibly break some bones. :p
I want to try one! that Escooter is just right for short runs around the neighborhood and is 48 volt 20Ah and can hit 25mph. I have watched the Eboarders and they are doing way too fast for me with no brakes and nothing to hold on to. Surprised I said that after the many suicide hills I bombed on my skateboard and I did fall and get a concussion and forgot half my 9th grade year.

I started a new post so post it over there: please

That's a dangerous device and doubt it has a UL listing
Here's another one. Same deal though I suspect...

No UL listing, agreed. Dangerous if you plug a 110v only device in.
And what's going to stop some kid from trying to plug in?
It should at the very least have a non removable 220v tag/marking on it. Not that that would make it legal.
NEMA 5 is 125v. Period.

And what's going to stop some kid from trying to plug in?
It should at the very least have an non removable 220v tag/marking on it. Not that that would make it legal.
I'm not selling it.
I'm just showing something that if done right (safe) etc solves the problem the OP has.
It is a first step, and needs improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not selling it.
I'm just showing something that if done right (safe) etc solves the problem the OP has.
I'm not upset... But a dangerous solution is no solution.
At the very least it should have a NEMA 6-15 on it and then force you to change your power cord as you would when traveling. Selling it as_is is irresponsible.
Jabberwocky has the best answer in post #6

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not upset... But a dangerous solution is no solution.
At the very least it should have a NEMA 6-15 on it and then force you to change your power cord as you would when traveling. Selling it as_is is irresponsible.
Jabberwocky has the best answer in post #6

I'm kinda amazed anyone is willing to assume the liability of selling that. If I read it right, its connecting an EV charging port and sending 220v to a standard 120v plug, which might work because some chargers are multi-region and can accept 220v through a 120v plug (since Europe runs 220v). Thats... a lot of assumptions. I wouldn't use it even if my charger said it could work on 220v. Its not like finding a 120v plug is generally that difficult. I have to imagine if you're somewhere you can find an electric car charging station, you can probably find a standard plug somewhere.

Relax bud.
I'm not selling it.
???

I don't have a problem?

I posted the article and said " I mostly charge at home with my own solar power but it would be nice if there were some charging stations I could use for longer riding adventures. If our tax money is used for these EV chargers then we should definitely be allowed to use them."

This is already happening in national parks:

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/sustainability/electric-vehicles.htm

Many of them use solar power which is a nice bonus and I recharge my ebike from my solar power everyday.

More ebikers would visit those parks if they know they can recharge.

Not that hard to install a step down transformer for a 110 volt plug on an EV charger.

Lots more people will be riding ebikes so I see convenience stores and other stores will want these and may even allow free charging and put in bike racks so we can lock up our ebikes. A bike rack with charging outlets would be ideal.

If our tax money is paying for those chargers then they should be available to all EV users including ebikes IMO.

Back