500 powerpack upgrade

Cube Mike

Hi.
I have just purchased my first electric bike. It's a Cube reaction pro 400.
It was a ex demo bike with 17 miles on it but I got it for a very good price.
My question is, where is the cheapest place to buy a new Bosch 500 power pack (battery) as I'd like to sell the 400 and upgrade.
Thanks.

Hi.
I have just purchased my first electric bike. It's a Cube reaction pro 400.
It was a ex demo bike with 17 miles on it but I got it for a very good price.
My question is, where is the cheapest place to buy a new Bosch 500 power pack (battery) as I'd like to sell the 400 and upgrade.
Thanks.
You are looking at around $1,000 for that battery! Propel ebikes in Brooklyn would be a place to look and they usually have them in stock.

Last edited:
There are discounted batteries available and I have upgraded. Many of us would like a backup battery and it makes sense to upgrade for that purpose. My understanding is that dealer cost on these batteries is in the $600 range so you can find them for a decent price. Talk to the dealer that sold you your bike and you might be surprised what can be negotiated. I like the range calculator and I'm getting a good 25% extended range on my haibike.

I upgraded for $400 when I bought my last Haibike, at the dealer. That was a swap of new battery for new battery.

Sounds like the best deal I've heard of, congrats. It reinforces the idea that retail prices are marked up quite a bit over cost.

I wasn't so pleased. $400 for a few more cells in the same housing seemed high to me! I did want the extended range though, so paid the price.

Islandrog got the math wrong. You are not getting just 9 miles more you are getting 45 more miles. If you buy the 500 watt battery you will be increasing your range by 125% as you will now have a total of 900 watts at your disposal. Put your original 400 watt battery in a trunk bag and you should go from 36 miles range to 81 mile range (assuming 9 miles per 100 watts).

Islandrog got the math wrong. You are not getting just 9 miles more you are getting 45 more miles. If you buy the 500 watt battery you will be increasing your range by 125% as you will now have a total of 900 watts at your disposal. Put your original 400 watt battery in a trunk bag and you should go from 36 miles range to 81 mile range (assuming 9 miles per 100 watts).
And when you have two batteries it is easier to go by the 35-75% rule, i.e. don’t let the battery go under 35% and stop charging at about 75 to 80%. That way you could double or even triple the number of useful cycles. Perhaps from 500 to 1500 or even 3000 if you have a high-quality battery and charger like Bosch.

I have done some calculations. Let’s say you get “only” 2000 cycles since you occasionally must charge the battery to 100% and use it all. “Useful cycle” means until the battery just can hold 70% of the energy it could when new. 10 Wh per mile is about what I get.

· 500 cycles then give you 38 000 miles of the two batteries.

· 2000 cycles mean 152 000 miles.

· This opposed to just 17 000 miles from the 400 Wh-battery alone.

So, you both get 90 miles when you need them, and batteries enough for a tremendous mileage. I suspect the bike will wear out long before the batteries are done. :)

My 10c, Cube Mike: Don't sell the 400, keep it and use it as your second battery like I do!

The versatility and additional range are well worth my investment in the 500 Wh battery. Both posts above ^^^ reinforce that. I have a ride from my house that is 11 miles and 3000 ft of elevation gain. I made that ride 5 times and twice ran down the 400 Wh battery to zero. Not healthy for the battery and one ride was aborted because I didn't have the range/boost figured out. Fortunately when I had my firmware update and computer analysis, the battery did not sustain any damage or decrease in capacity. I'm much better prepared for that ride now.

Back