$500-$1000 for an ebike vehicle rack? I Don't Think So...

mata2maui

Region
USA

Mockins 500 lb Capacity Anti Tilt Motorcycle Hitch Carrier Set...$159!​

Comes with a ramp and cargo straps. It will carry the heaviest of ebikes (OR ELECTRIC MOTORCYCLES) and it only weighs 65 lb itself so it's easy to attach to your hitch.

916B9Q-GJhL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Last edited:
What you don't get is the easy securing of the bike. With the Kuat 2.0 ( and I'm sure others). you put the bike on, push down the Shepards hook on the front tire and thread a strap over the rear tire. Takes maybe 30 seconds and is super secure.

I've got a ramp sort of like you show for my Vespa scooter. Takes probably ten minutes to get it tired down securely.

probably ten minutes
OK, but are we in a hurry? Takes me about two minutes to attach the straps that hold the bike securely to the rack and my trucks cargo hooks. For long hauls, I also cinch the seat post to the cargo hooks and hold the bike tight to the closed tailgate using an elongated, semi-rigid piece of rubber elastomer in between (that takes an additional minute). Cheers!

Last edited:
Lots of 1 star reviews talking about missing/incorrect hardware, broken welds, damaged packing during shipping.

Lots of 1 star reviews talking about missing/incorrect hardware, broken welds, damaged packing during shipping.
I had no problems with the product, and it’s Amazon, free returns and exchanges. Also there are no reviews about broken welds, just some missing bolts. Most reviews are positive. Like 268 reviews in total 54% are 5-star, 18% 4 stars and 12% 1 star, so please try to be accurate if you can.

Last edited:
I stand corrected, thanks Jedidiah. I guess no product is free of defects 100% of the time. Amazon will sort it out if problems arise. So far, my rack is performing well.

Last edited:

Mockins 500 lb Capacity Anti Tilt Motorcycle Hitch Carrier Set...$159!​

Comes with a ramp and cargo straps. It will carry the heaviest of ebikes (OR ELECTRIC MOTORCYCLES) and it only weighs 65 lb itself so it's easy to attach to your hitch.

Meh, spend the $ and get a good rack. Reviews look shaky and it appears the supporting hardware, washers, bolts etc are inadequate. So you spend 2 grand or more on a bike and go cheap on the rack? No bueno.

get a good rack
Not everyone can afford to spend a grand on a rack. This is an inexpensive alternative that actually carries way more weight than the expensive stuff. This is a solid rack, it arrived in good shape and had all the hardware. 72% of the 268 reviews on Amazon are 4-5 stars. I have been using it for almost a month now and it actually feels safer with the 500lb carrying load and the cargo straps as opposed to the expensive racks I considered which were rated at like under 60lb per tray.

Last edited:
The problem that I see is that it's held in with the straps, one of those shifts and loosens up, you lose the bike since the entire support is reliant upon equal tension. There's nothing solid to hold it vertically. You're right, this one isn't for me. My plan when I have the time is to build on myself. I have welder, I have metal and a workshop full of hardware to build just about anything I want.

The problem that I see is that it's held in with the straps, one of those shifts and loosens up, you lose the bike since the entire support is reliant upon equal tension. There's nothing solid to hold it vertically. You're right, this one isn't for me. My plan when I have the time is to build on myself. I have welder, I have metal and a workshop full of hardware to build just about anything I want.
Would like to see the finished product; DIY is the best option most of the time. With my rack the vertical support comes from strapping the rack, then looping the bike with the straps, then cinching to my truck's cargo hooks which holds the bike tight to my closed tailgate with a spacer so no scratching. I don't just strap the bike to the rack alone for the reasons you mentioned. I will post some pics next time I have it racked up.

Would like to see the finished product; DIY is the best option most of the time. With my rack the vertical support comes from strapping the rack, then looping the bike with the straps, then cinching to my truck's cargo hooks which holds the bike tight to my closed tailgate with a spacer so no scratching. I don't just strap the bike to the rack alone for the reasons you mentioned. I will post some pics next time I have it racked up.
It's gonna be a while till I have the free time to make one, as I'm currently already in a large project.

If you want a cheap bike rack I have this hitch mount one: https://amzn.to/45KEJk6 for $190. It's good for 140lbs total. If you only need one bike, you can leave off one pair of the wheel carriers which makes it quite compact. It comes with a fairly long hitch mount to allow for a spare tire, but I have cut mine down to tuck it in closer to the truck.

I think this basic rack is sold by many vendors under many names, but I'm not sure they're all built out of steel sturdy enough for ebikes.

I'm considering upgrading to a fancy one, but the "best" ones seem to be incompatible with fenders.

1685138043473.png

I have a kuat 2.0. One Shepards hook on the front wheel and a strap over the rear rim. Says not to use with fenders. I’ve driven 4-5000 miles with two 62# e-bikes on it with fenders. Hook goes on tire and against fender. Works perfect.

These are specialized turbo comos with aluminum fenders. A really flimsy plastic front fenders might be less perfect.

Nearly all the force on the bikes is up and down from hitting bumps and fore and aft from accelerating and braking. Not so much side to side where the hook would press against the fender.

Not everyone can afford to spend a grand on a rack. This is an inexpensive alternative that actually carries way more weight than the expensive stuff. This is a solid rack, it arrived in good shape and had all the hardware. 72% of the 268 reviews on Amazon are 4-5 stars. I have been using it for almost a month now and it actually feels safer with the 500lb carrying load and the cargo straps as opposed to the expensive racks I considered which were rated at like under 60lb per tray.

My current 1 UP is the Quick Rack Single 1.25 for my little Hyundai and I think I paid a little over $325. The Super Duty that I had with a bigger SUV was around $450. Easy to install and putting a bike on is a piece of cake. And what price is there for piece of mind? Made in the USA.

The One Up USA racks are outstanding. Plus you can take them on or off the car in less than half a minute without crawling around on the ground at all. Top quality.
Was my top candidate but need the super duty single with ramp; with shipping to Hawaii would have been $780

If you want a cheap bike rack I have this hitch mount one: https://amzn.to/45KEJk6 for $190. It's good for 140lbs total. If you only need one bike, you can leave off one pair of the wheel carriers which makes it quite compact. It comes with a fairly long hitch mount to allow for a spare tire, but I have cut mine down to tuck it in closer to the truck.

I think this basic rack is sold by many vendors under many names, but I'm not sure they're all built out of steel sturdy enough for ebikes.

I'm considering upgrading to a fancy one, but the "best" ones seem to be incompatible with fenders.

View attachment 154461
This was the first Amazon rack I ordered (this or similar) but returned it cuz there was too much play at the hitch mount. Felt like carrying two monkeys fighting over one banana.

This was the first Amazon rack I ordered (this or similar) but returned it cuz there was too much play at the hitch mount. Felt like carrying two monkeys fighting over one banana.
This one has a threaded insert and the "pin" is threaded about halfway so you bolt one side of the tube to the mount. It's actually quite stable. It's just not super convenient to install or remove. There's a tool-free version but I probably would have had more trouble shortening it.

Back