do you think these batteries are overpriced and if so by how much?

flipper

i ride an electric mobility scooter called a travelscoot and have been having a rather heated debate with a facebook group about how much the maker charges for its batteries. i think they're way overpriced and i bought one instead from china but talking about china batteries got my thread yanked, so i thought i'd just try to speak to the official batteries. here's the info

Travelscoot battery 24/25.2 V 5.85 Ah 151 Wh $615
Travelscoot battery 24/25.2 V 10.8 Ah 274 Wh $765

the justification i heard for these prices is that the batteries are certified and the 151wh one is certified for airline travel and certifications cost money. well, yeah, but still, those prices seem way out of line for how relatively small the batteries are. and the last certification came way back in 2010, when cost of the thing was much cheaper than it is now (now: 5k to 7k, i read). i've also been reading that a high quality 400WH battery might cost $500 today and both these official batteries are well under 400Wh. then again, i could be wrong about everything and a 152wh battery for $615 is A-Okay. and believe me, there's nothing special about the batteries (other than the cert, i guess, and of course the price, ha ha); my $130 replacement from china was a simple fit.

anyone want to weigh in on this? love to know if i'm wrong ... or right.

Certified by who? You really think a $130 battery is close to being the same as a $600?

One of the most expensive, reliable, well built and durable ebike batteries is the Bosch 500 watt hour power pack. The retail price on them is $775 give or take. Based on this those Travelscoot batteries cost about twice what they should if not more. As to certification for airline travel no lithium ion batteries over 160 watt hours are allowed...period.

I can tell you for sure anything designated for sale typically to the elderly is way overpriced.
They count on taking advantage of an older, more trusting somewhat naive when it comes to new technology generation.

it's for the UN certification, as per this from the TS website: . as to 130 battery being close to a 600 one, maybe, maybe not, but that's why i'm asking.

alaskan: thank you for that info. it's pretty much what i've been trying to find out -- how much at this time should batteries like the ones TS offers sell for. and yes, i know that anything over 600wh can't fly, hence why i singled out the 151wh as flyworthy.

gionnirocket: i love TS for its life-changing (for me) scooter but your point was one i tried to make on the FB group site and that's probably one reason it was yanked.

i wish there was a way to really dig a bit deeper into the cost of these batteries in particular.

thanks all, for weighing in. love to hear more, if'n you got it.

If the Chinese supplier doesn't say the brand of the battery cells like TravelScoot does, then it's not the same as a $600 battery. I have a Bosch powered eBike with 7,000 miles on it. That means the battery cost to replace will be at 11-12 cents a mile. Battery costs seems cheap riding to me.

Last edited:
This verification document was based on test performed at the end of 2010. I seriously doubt that the regulations regarding transport of lithium batteries on passenger airplanes is unchanged since over 11 years ago. I think some research into that might be wise, before you buy something thinking it is compliance with current regulations.

forget china. let's just talk about the ts batteries. so the bosch powerpack 400 is 675, approx. now 675 / 400 is 1.68. let's take that as the cost per wh. here's what i get for the two offical scoot batteries: 151 x 1.68 = $238 and 274 x 1.68 = $460. assuming that what i'm doing makes approximate sense, then those prices are a lot better than $615 and $765.

This verification document was based on test performed at the end of 2010. I seriously doubt that the regulations regarding transport of lithium batteries on passenger airplanes is unchanged since over 11 years ago. I think some research into that might be wise, before you buy something thinking it is compliance with current regulations.
agreed. and they now only recommend the 151wh one for flying. that said, they don't have a certification document posted for it that i can find. but i am going to assume it exists. i still that that they're overpriced now that i've compared them the boschs below. and the ts batteries arent even housed in anything like the boschs are.

That is an outrageous price for that tiny battery. My wife has a small scooter, it come apart in 4 pieces and one is the battery. It's a plastic box containing two 12V UPS batteries, in series making 24v. At $40 each battery, not a big deal to replace. Like a UPS battery (Uninterrupted Power Supply) there are different quality of makes of these Lead Acid batteries.
Now you can look at Dakota batteries, but they are UPS style, but way powerful and long lasting.
That battery looks like the adaptive E-bike batteries you can buy, with a simple connection you should find much cheaper alternatives as you did. The mark-up from the company must be 200%.
I have a Magnum U6I Ebike and found a number of other bikes using the same type battery, prices from $500 to $750 for the same power rating.
The NCM Moscow uses the same battery as my bike and 7 others. You can order from a large company overseas and get the battery, top and bottom connectors as different bikes use slightly different attachments in the same size fitting so only "their" special battery will fit.
We picked up my wife's used cart for $400... with batteries three years ago, sill using the same batteries. I see used mobility carts all the time, usually in great shape and used for just a few months.
I see this is a "travel" and very lightweight model. Still, overpriced battery because it goes through 3 hands I bet.

Last edited:
Thieves preying on seniors. Not unlike earring aid batteries. Walgreens and others charge 3 times the price of trustworthy internet sources. I helped a neighbor replace his rip-off batteries wheelchair batteries with a lithium pack that will outlast the thieves batteries by 3-4 fold.

One of the most expensive, reliable, well built and durable ebike batteries is the Bosch 500 watt hour power pack. The retail price on them is $775 give or take. Based on this those Travelscoot batteries cost about twice what they should if not more. As to certification for airline travel no lithium ion batteries over 160 watt hours are allowed...period.

It looks like I have to replace my Bosch 500 w power pack. The current price in Europe is € 619. The battery has lasted 6 years, and 12,800 km, with almost daily riding. I guess that isn't too bad. I'll know tomorrow if for sure the battery is kaput.

Last edited:
Like many items, it's a throw-away society. They are tack welded together to make the packs. My Magnum battery is pretty common and used on a number of Ebikes. Alas a few differences in the base swivel connection. I've seen this style battery that you can buy with a new base (to fit their battery base) and I believe new key area. They were $150 less then one from the company. Not sure about the amps. Imagine if these batteries were built so the battery case slid out and it was just like any battery item and you could pop out each battery and test each. Replace the ones you need ! I have seen places (west coast U.S.) that repair the battery packs. Especially if the bike company goes bust and they made their own design. But the price was close to a new (company brand) battery.
There are places that make batteries and universal holders, just need the right voltage and connection to your bike. E-bay is full of them but again the quality of the battery and how they are put together.

Hey - I know this thread is a couple of years old but is there a way to use one of those Bosch batteries or something equivalent with a Travelscoot? I'm trying to get one working for an elder in my family and can't abide the overcharging of the TS batteries. We have the old (dead) TS battery - is there a way to just swap the connectors or is there more to it?

Back