New Pedego 52V Battery

awillis858

I have a Pedego City Commuter (Black Edition) that I purchased in November 2020. My bike has a 48v15a battery (720 total amp hours), which I consistently get 40-45 miles out of depending on throttle use (I always use PAL 2 and generous mechanical gear shifting). I believe it's a Gen II version of this popular model.

My questions are about the new upgraded 52v battery (and 910 watt-hours rating) that Pedego announced in late 2021. Will it work on my bike? Has anyone upgraded? Do I have to change out the hub motor to work with the new battery? What additional mileage should I expect, and is it worth the expensive asking price?

Thank you for your input.

Many Pedego 48V batteries are in reality, 52V. Such is the case with my 2018 Platinum Interceptor. They are marked 48V but the fully charged voltage is 58.8V which says it's a 52V battery. It's easy enough to check if you have a voltmeter.

I called Pedego tech support and asked if the new 52V 17.5 AH (910 WH) battery would work with my Platinum Interceptor. I was told to would. You can call them at (800) 646-8604 but my guess is it will work with your City Commuter as well.

Many Pedego 48V batteries are in reality, 52V. Such is the case with my 2018 Platinum Interceptor. They are marked 48V but the fully charged voltage is 58.8V which says it's a 52V battery. It's easy enough to check if you have a voltmeter.

I called Pedego tech support and asked if the new 52V 17.5 AH (910 WH) battery would work with my Platinum Interceptor. I was told to would. You can call them at (800) 646-8604 but my guess is it will work with your City Commuter as well.
Thank you for the reply. Helpful comment.

The "52V" battery works in the older 48V bikes, Price is over $1000. My old 48V 10A battery is getting weak, only about 20 miles range. So I bought a Unit Power
52V 20A one from Amazon and adapted it. I had to take the controller out of the battery sleeve and mount it to the frame in the front of the rack. Also had to modify the straps that hold the sleeve to lower them about 1/4", the new battery is slightly narrower and taller than the Pedego battery. This is on my 2018 City Commuter 28". I am tall and weigh 240, getting over 60 miles on a charge, Including 40 mile trip with 2500 ft elevation gain. Battery was $429 on Amazon so I am very happy with it. It has a taillight built in like the Pedego one.

The batteries voltage is mainly determined by the number of cells in series, on the chart next to the voltage it says 13S by 48 and 14S by 52.
The nominal voltage of Lithium Ion is 3.7V so is 48.1V for a 48V pack and 51.8V for a 52. 13.4 usable volts for a 52V and 12.5 for a 48V. That is voltage from full charge to 20% charge.
A 52V just gives a little more speed if you have a unregulated controller. The main factor is Wattage or Amp hours, that is controlled by the size of the cell and how many are in parallel.

Just an update to this old thread in case anyone is still interested:

I recently replaced a 2018 Pedego 52V, 15AH rear rack battery with one of the new 52V, 17.5 AH batteries. It was a direct swap and functions perfectly in my 2018 Platinum Interceptor.

The new battery has 4 additional contacts for brake lights and turn signals which my older bike lacks but otherwise, it has an identical form factor. It is also compatible with my old OEM charger.

I was getting a 40 - 45 mile range with the old 15AH and that has increased to 50 - 55 miles using the 17.5 AH.

I'm still recovering from sticker shock though. $1399 plus tax! :eek:

Pedego batteries are a rip off, I put a unit power pack 20A 52V as a replacement on mine. Less than half the cost.

FYI the new batteries will work in the old but not visa versa, new one has extra 4 pins for the turn signals.

Pedego batteries are a rip off, I put a unit power pack 20A 52V as a replacement on mine. Less than half the cost.
oh boy. they are less than half cuz they’re half the quality. generic cells, featureless BMS, and steel ribbon connections. a great history of fires to round off the savings.

Last edited:
I did the same thing on my Platinum Interceptor.

IMG_1206a.jpg

In my case, I used a 19.5AH, 52V battery from Grin Tech. Only slightly less expensive than the Pedego but it's a quality built battery. I don't trust those cheap batteries from Amazon & AliExpress.

I also made an adapter to use 60V cordless tool batteries:

IMG_1195a.jpg

Also expensive but IMO, they're the safest bet when it comes to lithium batteries.

Back