Camping, Glamping, Bikamping

Art Deco

Region
USA
City
Selinsgrove Pennsylvania
image000001-1.jpg

So this is my way ... closer to Glamping than Bikamping.
I saw this family tent in a KOA or similar campground in Texas.
20220107_092003.jpg

They ( 2 adults, 2 girls, 1 10yo, 1 5yo ) began their journey in Portland Oregon. There is no sag wagon or even a support car.

Wow impressive. Both pictures are for different reasons.

My wife and I are going to set a small cargo trailer up with traveling to good ebike riding in mind.
Several people on here with different kinds of camping and touring rigs. Both @GypsyTreker and @Cowlitz pull trailers, @rich c has a big class A rig, and @Browneye and some others use a small RV to pull a pickup truck with the bikes in the truck bed ... but these folks carry all their gear (and a 5 year old) in a bike trailer and a pair of panniers . Jusr Wow.
Edit: They blog here https://latvianalaskan.com
Worth a follow , I think.

Last edited:
View attachment 112451
So this is my way ... closer to Glamping than Bikamping.
I saw this family tent in a KOA or similar campground in Texas. View attachment 112452

They ( 2 adults, 2 girls, 1 10yo, 1 5yo ) began their journey in Portland Oregon. There is no sag wagon or even a support car.

I often see family groups, like the one in your second picture, during my travels on the C&O Canal trail in Maryland. There are very spartan campsites spaced roughly a day's hike apart along it's 185 mile length. Many connect to the GAP trail in Pennsylvania and continue another 150 miles into Pittsburgh. It's often quite a party when two or three such groups pitch tents at the same campsite.

I don't do much camping anymore and I miss the comradery of the friendly folk I met at these places.

We backpacked, tent and car camped up and down the east coast for years, years ago, but have only used motels for a decade or more prior to buying the van. And while campgrounds (and the campers) have changed over the years, the comradery really hasn't changed.
And a campground still beats a good motel when things work out, and still loses to a crummy motel when they don't...

We backpacked, tent and car camped up and down the east coast for years, years ago, but have only used motels for a decade or more prior to buying the van. And while campgrounds (and the campers) have changed over the years, the comradery really hasn't changed.
And a campground still beats a good motel when things work out, and still loses to a crummy motel when they don't...
At my age, I've been spoiled by the creature comforts of nicer hotels & motels. I have a list of bike friendly places I regularly frequent that allow bikes in rooms.

I've been considering a van or R/V but my garages are full of bikes, tractors, equipment and other vehicles. I would want to keep an R/V inside to maintain it's value. I'm looking into adding another building but that cost, along with the insurance and real estate tax issue, is quite steep.

At my age, I've been spoiled by the creature comforts of nicer hotels & motels. I have a list of bike friendly places I regularly frequent that allow bikes in rooms.

I've been considering a van or R/V but my garages are full of bikes, tractors, equipment and other vehicles. I would want to keep an R/V inside to maintain it's value. I'm looking into adding another building but that cost, along with the insurance and real estate tax issue, is quite steep.
Many used RVs get sold with very little use because of the necessity and cost of storing and maintaining them. Especially with our Pennsylvania weather.
And fuel costs are always high if you go any distance, etc.. A motel is easy, and often inexpensive compared to campgrounds that are close to highways for mostly single night stays.
State and national parks are nice, but usually not convenient to the highway.

I hate to bring this up in yet another thread but the Covid issue was the final straw with camping for us. It was difficult to maintain separation in common areas. The tents were too close to each other and the friendly folks all want to congregate. This of course varies depending on the campground. I suppose it would be easier to manage with an R/V though.

We generally use hotels with kitchenettes and do our own in room cooking. More times than not, we stay in the same place for several days and buy groceries. We choose locations that are convenient to several different riding spots to minimize relocating.

I think that eBikes solved the one small issue I had with Vans, like yours, disconnecting power and sewer hosed to go to town. An ebike with a rack and basket or simply a back pack changes all that. Great looking campsite @artdeco.

I think that eBikes solved the one small issue I had with Vans, like yours, disconnecting power and sewer hosed to go to town. An ebike with a rack and basket or simply a back pack changes all that. Great looking campsite @artdeco.
More than just disconnecting the hookups, the entire interior must be packed and secured for movement.
Loading and unloading the bikes every night was enough of a hassle that I finally put a rack on the back.
But if I had to fly and use motels and restaurants in a time of Covid, I just wouldn't go. Really.

That really is the most efficient way to section ride interesting trails, paths etc. Its also nice for exploring say DC or a bike friendly place like it. We are able to keep the folder in our A-frame but my Fattie 26 is always on the "rack", exposed. Once vehicle prices get real again we will get a Caravan just so our bikes have shelter from the storms. We will continue to use the A-frame unless spaces become non existent for the unplanned getaway, then your SOP would be the most sensible.

Hate to admit but we are a little over the top in our camping... Old enough to like my creature comforts and not young enough (or broke) to tent.

I haul 5 bikes and a 3 wheel scooter for all the kids and myself.. meeting people is half the fun.. met some people from other countries and I local guy that was a chef and rented his RV and cooked for people... Neat stuff

Hate to admit but we are a little over the top in our camping... Old enough to like my creature comforts and not young enough (or broke) to tent.

I haul 5 bikes and a 3 wheel scooter for all the kids and myself.. meeting people is half the fun.. met some people from other countries and I local guy that was a chef and rented his RV and cooked for people... Neat stuff
Cool. Any pics?

DSC01376.JPG

Returning home from the escape from smoke trip of 2020. I made it to McCall, ID where it was still smoky, but not as bad. This is later, near Lewiston, ID after the smoke was dispersed. I pull the trailer with a Tacoma. The trailer is stored outdoors all year round. I've had it seven years, almost 8 actually. It has a wet bath, kitchen sink, stove and fridge along with bed and tiny dinette.

I think a return trip to this glampground may have to take place this year. I have the other side of the river to ride. I think there is a bike trail on that side as well.

Last edited:
Do 13 to 16 foot trailers tend to do all right with a hitch mount on the back so I could put 200 lbs of bikes and rack back there?

I deleted my post about hitches on the back of small trailers. On a facebook group --Casita Owners, there was a discussion about it. Yes, people do put bike racks on the back. However, the standard trailer bumper has to be beefed up and some frame work done. Folks say to be sure to get an RV specific bike rack--guess a car rack will sway back and forth too much? Some say they compensate for the weight back there by not filling the fresh water tank and putting 7 gallons of water in the bathroom. The bathroom is at the front of a Casita. The fresh water tank is on the rear.

Also, the GVR for my trailer is 3500 pounds. I figure it runs around 3000 pounds when loaded, but might be more. I generally just carry enough fresh water for one night and then fill up when I get to my destination.

I just roll my bike into the back of my pickup.

Back