Eahora X7 Plus not working after 2 months, still not working after warranty "expires"

cordycord

Region
USA
My son gleefully purchased an Eahora X7 Plus and put almost 950 miles on the odometer. But then it stopped working, and hasn't been operational for almost a year. After one year Eahora said "sorry, you're out of warranty.", not knowing that California has laws that prevent companies from running out the clock. Here's a short list of what we've done:
Date
Action
$$
8/9/2020​
Order placed
8/10/2020​
Order shipped
8/25/2020
Order delivered
11/1/2020​
First request for warranty (motor)
11/2/2020​
Asked for testing and video
11/7/2020​
Sent video
11/8/2020​
Offered and confirmed a replacement motor
11/9/2020​
Confirmation email stating motor will be shipped in 3 days
11/10/2020​
Asked to run additional tests
11/15/2020​
Additional video sent
motor & motor extension cable sent, received, and installed
2/28/2021​
Second request for warranty (motor)
3/1/2021​
Asked for testing pics
3/15/2021​
Testing sent
3/16/2021​
Believed to be a controller issue. Asked for more testing pics
4/8/2021​
Connector Pics sent
4/10/2021​
Agreed to send Second motor to be installed by a bike shop
5/6/2021​
Shipped new motor
5/20/2021​
New Motor Received
Trestles Bike was backed up and we took a 2 week vacation
7/30/2021​
Picked up bike
$213.10
Trestles Bike also contacted Eahora customer service
8/27/2021​
Trestles Bike Controller and 9 pin connector wire installed
$75.00
10/15/2021​
Trestles Bike could not repair the bike
$20.00
total
$308.10

All this, and NO running bike. It would have been FAR easier for Eahora to take the bike back. I live an hour away from their warehouse in Chino, and offered to take the bike up there for repair or replacement. But HERE"S THE PROBLEM: this is a Chinese manufacturer with no presence in the USA.

--they have a warehouse here, but that's all.
--their phone numbers all go to recordings. You get an email a day later. As someone who deals with manufacturing in Taiwan, this is how business is done...at the manufacturing level. NOT retail.
--their emails are all answered a day later, if at all. They've stopped responding to my emails. Again, this is "customer service" by email. From China. If you're OK with that, better hope your bike doesn't fail.

Eahora sells to the USA, but has no actual staff here. They just sell bikes. I'm now sitting on a $1,500 paperweight and if I wanted to take them to small claims court I wouldn't even have an address to list. Or company name. "Eahora" is a name, but is that the actual company name?

As of last week, I sent back two controllers that did not work. One was so large that it didn't even fit in the bike frame, so what does that tell you? I got a new, tiny controller from them that didn't even turn on the dash. I sent the usual raft of photos showing the connections...and still have no response from Eahora.

This is a lot of money, whether you measure it in teenage dollars ($1,500 is A LOT) or adult dollars (STILL a lot). The electric bike industry as a whole will be damaged by manufacturers like this, I'm afraid.

Last, I want to leave people in my position with some information:

a) Under California's Lemon Law, manufacturers of most household electronic goods that sell for more than $100 have to provide spare parts for up to seven years, regardless of warranty status.

b) Per California law, "If a defect exists within the warranty period, the warranty will not expire until the defect has been fixed. The warranty period will also be extended if the warranty repairs have not been performed due to delays caused by circumstances beyond the control of the buyer, or if the warranty repairs did not remedy the defect and the buyer notifies the manufacturer or seller of the failure of the repairs within 60 days after they were completed. If, after a reasonable number of attempts, the defect has not been fixed, the buyer may return this product for a replacement or a refund subject, in either case, to deduction of a reasonable charge for usage. This time extension does not affect the protections or remedies the buyer has under other laws.”

Your state may vary, so it's best to find out what rights you have. If Eahora pulls their head out and fixes this bike themselves--or replaces it--I may take down this post, so take notes!

Thanks for letting me vent.

mine won't turn on all of a sudden tried to replace screen did eahoras battery volt test all good. just won't do anything

Eahora warranty:

We also understand that often times these potential issues cause frustration and even sometimes anger, but, we will NOT tolerate rude/vulgar language towards our staff. We will offer a warning if this occurs, after that we do reserve the right to refuse service, terminate accounts, issue refunds, void warranties, or cancel orders at our sole discretion. If this decision is made it is final and cannot be undone.

Back