Another easy 10-minute update followed by a boring ride where everything worked perfectly.

Coolbob

It's the nature of all forums for folks to only post when things go wrong, so I thought I'd jump in with a post on how everything on My Momentum Transend E+ is still working perfectly after 18-months and well over 1,000 miles.

IMG_5586.PNG

Yeah, me too, just over a year owned, ridden most days, on my commute, which is downhill ~200 m over 2.6 kms of a total of ~7km, followed by the reverse, climbing back up that at the end of the day. When I've looked before and after my rides, I've found it uses approximately 5 % of the battery to get to work, and between 25% and 30% of the battery to get home. At the start I rode around on full power all the time, but have buttoned that back since, running mostly on level 3 on the flat, but boosting to level 5 on the climb.

Now up to about 2700 kilometers total, roughly 55 charging cycles, battery still at 96 or 99 % depending on when I check. I have adjusted the chain twice (taking up the stretch) and have also replaced the brakepads once.

Folks any thoughts on the differences between the Transend and Vida? Am I mistaken or are these two bikes pretty similar in components? I don’t think I need the class 3 but do have hills in the neighborhood. I’m considering the LaFree and wondering about these two as well due to the IGH. Not sure the difference in price is worth the benefits yet. Hope to ride all three in the near future.

Nice video. Looks like the Vida would be a better fit for me based in the hills. I’ll compare it versus the LaFree. Thank you very much and Merry Christmas!

Exciting news. TLDR: I bought the Momentum Vida E+ at a large discount!

I got to ride four Giant and Momentum bikes today. First was the 2020 Fastroad E+ EX Pro. Loved this bike as it was light, powerful, and well equipped. It was being sold for around $2500 as it was an older model. Only problem was that I had a hard time getting my leg over the bar as I have knee issues so had to skip it. Also rode the Roam E+ but it wasn’t as exciting and had the same issue with regard to my knee. Both bikes had plenty of power for me and felt natural to ride. Next up was a medium sized Momentum LaFree E+ which I really liked. Then I noticed there was one in red right next to it at $280 off ($1999) and then a white step-thru bike next to that one at $2199. Both were large size but the white one was a Vida E+ (375 Wh battery) which retails at $2850. I rode the Vida E+ and found that I had no issue getting on it and in fact loved how it shifted with the Nexus IGH 7 speed and how it rode overall.

Told the shop that I would discuss with my wife and get back to them. Called my wife on the way home and she said if I liked it and it was pretty much the same price as the LaFree E+ I was considering so I should get it. She didn’t mind that it may be too big for her but I think she may be able to ride it anyway as it is a step-thru. The Vida E+ more than met my criteria (except that the battery is smaller) and came in at a reasonable price so I called the shop back and put a $100 deposit on it!

Thank you all for helping me in my search. I feel like I made a choice after a good amount of research and testing bikes (rode 14 of them). Feel free to let me know if you think I made a mistake as I guess I can still cancel and get my deposit back.

Vida E+ (375 Wh battery) which retails at $2850.
A question: How far you think your wife would be riding? 375 Wh is very very little, and it limits the rider to relatively short city rides (say, 25 miles).

I had a look at Momentum U.S. web site and I can see they offer the 500 Wh version for $2,850, too. (I estimate the range of the 500 Wh version to 33 miles).
I cannot understand how comes both 375 and 500 Wh versions can be offered at the same price...

A question: How far you think your wife would be riding? 375 Wh is very very little, and it limits the rider to relatively short city rides (say, 25 miles).

I had a look at Momentum U.S. web site and I can see they offer the 500 Wh version for $2,850, too. (I estimate the range of the 500 Wh version to 33 miles).
I cannot understand how comes both 375 and 500 Wh versions can be offered at the same price...
I had the same questions about range and the two battery sizes.

We will be living in a small town and expect round trips on the bike to be less than 30 miles. There are hills in our area so that will affect range too. I have read on this site where people were achieving 40 to 50 miles in range depending on terrain and weather. I think that would be fine for us.

The LBS told me their system only showed the 375 Wh battery for the Vida E+ And verified to me that the battery on this bike was 375 Wh. I’m now thinking that the website is incorrect and either there is only one battery size or the prices are different for the two sizes. Maybe that’s why I got the lower price? I know others here have the Vida E+ with the 375 Wh battery. Do you think I should contact Giant about it?

Do you think I should contact Giant about it?
Will they ever reply? Giant, as any big brand wants you to talk to your LBS only.
It is all strange because the battery is the most expensive component of an e-bike...
Besides, I like the looks of Vida E+!

Will they ever reply? Giant, as any big brand wants you to talk to your LBS only.
It is all strange because the battery is the most expensive component of an e-bike...
Besides, I like the looks of Vida E+!
Ha ha. You are probably right. They won’t talk with me directly. I’ll talk with the LBS to see if they’ll do a swap for me for a few extra bucks.

Ha ha. You are probably right. They won’t talk with me directly. I’ll talk with the LBS to see if they’ll do a swap for me for a few extra bucks.
Good idea. There is no notion of "too big a battery" in the e-bike world...

I live in a very hilly area and have a 2020 Momentum Transend E+ with a 375w battery. I often charge the battery to 95-100%, ride 20-25 miles in 'auto' assist mode and usually have 40-55% battery remaining.

375w is enough for a lot of folks, but Momentum changed the battery on the Transend E+ from 375w to 500w on 2021 models to keep up with other mid-drive bikes with 500w batteries, the sticker price on the 500w version went up $200.

We bought a 2020 Vida E+ (with a 375w battery) from our LBS in 2021 for my wife to ride, since it was a 2020 model we got it for $200 off sticker price. She never rides more than 15 miles at a time so 375w is more than she will ever need.

I should have asked if I should contact Momentum about it. Also wondering if I could swap out the 375Wh for the 500 Wh in the future.
Yes, I've got a 500Wh Transcend E+ and even when I bought it replacement battery packs were available, at $1600NZD - but, bonus, they're already 675Wh, which would increase my range markedly. You may not even be able get a 500Wh battery for it.?

Yes, I've got a 500Wh Transcend E+ and even when I bought it replacement battery packs were available, at $1600NZD - but, bonus, they're already 675Wh, which would increase my range markedly. You may not even be able get a 500Wh battery for it.?
I ended up with a Transend E+ Instead of the Vida which they could not fix. The Transend E+ had a 500 Wh battery and I got it for about $550 USD off the retail price.

Back